Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is obvious for some, but since I've read so many people ask on here, you definitely need to get a fuel controller, or ECU flash w/ fuel alterations with a full exhaust. I don't see how a slip on would be much different, but I'm sure the OEM header has a bit less flow.

Anyways, put 150mi on the bike with the Arrow exhaust WITH DBK and it's running hot. I can tell it's lean and needs a tune. It probably won't grenade anytime soon, but this is not good for your motor. That being said, PCV on the way. Decided against fuel alterations via flash because I'd like to have two tunes on tap for DBK and non, and because I don't seem to leave my machines the way they are for long.

I noticed there isn't a map on DJ website for the Arrow. Does anyone have one they're willing to give to them to post up? If not, maybe I can do it.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I've always wondered, an aftermarket exhaust flows more gas out.
If you don't alter the air intake to get more air in, does it really matter that much?

I like cans of worms.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've always wondered, an aftermarket exhaust flows more gas out.
If you don't alter the air intake to get more air in, does it really matter that much?

I like cans of worms.
I imagine it depends on what the most restrictive part of the stock system. If it's the exhaust, then putting on a freer flowing unit will definitely make it run lean, but if the stock intake is highly restricted, then maybe not so much?

idk, just guessing here.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
If you still have the snorkel on a bike (very restrictive) the bike can't breathe in well.

if it can't breathe in, breathing out doesn't really make much of a difference. That's why manufacturers all state that you don't have to retune, if you have a small inlet, the size of the outlet doesn't really matter, does it?
Try breathing in through your nose with a blocked nostril, and breathe out through you mouth as hard as you can, you get the idea.
Will a tune help, sure But not getting a tune won't make your bike explode.And yes, this is internet opinion, not fact.

·
Registered
187 Posts
lol i'm sorry but you guys don't know what you're talking about. in theory you're right, in practical application you're wrong. the bike already takes in more air that it can put out its just a matter of getting a proper air fuel ratio on what its already taking in. thats why when you put on a full exhaust system you get 10-15hp, and when you do velocity stacks or air box mods you get 3-5hp.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you take some pics of the exhaust please? I'm having trouble finding decent ones
I sure can. The Arrow is one of the best looking IMO, header is nice and tight to the motor, can is small and tucked under the swingarm nice and tight. Doesn't stick out much, and I am going to trim the mid pipe and hanger bracket to get it tucked in about another inch. If you haven't looked at this thread, there is a lot of info; http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-g...xhaust-group-buy-coming-soon-potentially.html

Do you have the smog block off plates installed or plugged up?
I do not, I was going to wait until I was ready to pull the ECU to send to Nick. There is virtually no popping or gurgle with DBK in.

lol i'm sorry but you guys don't know what you're talking about. in theory you're right, in practical application you're wrong. the bike already takes in more air that it can put out its just a matter of getting a proper air fuel ratio on what its already taking in. thats why when you put on a full exhaust system you get 10-15hp, and when you do velocity stacks or air box mods you get 3-5hp.
I agree. On this machine, the most restrictive element is the muffler. It is dyno proven that many, if not all aftermarket full system increase hp, more so with the proper tune. However, WITH the exhaust and tune, Brocks was showing some gains by altering the air intake. Stay tuned on that thread for more info; http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance/3096-brocks-exhaust-fz-09-a.html

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a friend whos the street king around here on a hayabusa....so I trust his opinion....he has seen a bike go up 20 hp on a dyno with certain mods, that same bike lost several races to another bike who he use to beat before the 20hp increase, he put the bike back the way it was before the increase and started beating the other bike again, so don't rely on what you get on a dyno in the real world....

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have a friend whos the street king around here on a hayabusa....so I trust his opinion....he has seen a bike go up 20 hp on a dyno with certain mods, that same bike lost several races to another bike who he use to beat before the 20hp increase, he put the bike back the way it was before the increase and started beating the other bike again, so don't rely on what you get on a dyno in the real world....
Main reason why I do all my tuning in real life riding. Driveability is what is important over dynos.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Main reason why I do all my tuning in real life riding. Driveability is what is important over dynos.
Agreed.But try and relay that to another person.In that regard dyno's are useful.
As far as drive ability goes that why I got the reflash/remap
Responding to this thread it seems people are mislead about what sorta power increase they are going to get from a slip-on
Or full exhaust.
My point in bringing up the The 7 HP increase is to show what can be done with no bolt on's and how out of whack the stock fueling is.
Dyno is not an end all just a point of reference.
Bottom line:drive ability is lost with most exhaust systems because the power is moved up in the rev range.The stock system works well with a fuel remap.

·
Registered
187 Posts
lol depends on where that 20hp was gained. if its top end or is it low end or mid range. the dyno tells you where it's gonna be. and you dont magically gain 20hp, you lose somewhere else to compensate for it generally. if he changed vstacks to shorties, he'd could gain 20hp, but also lose midrange/bottom end.

top end doesnt matter unless you're doing top end runs. that's people not knowing what they're doing to make a fast bike, and people just going for horsepower

i wish my butt dyno was as accurate as yours, would put dynojet outta business! fancy computers, bah!

·
Registered
342 Posts
lol depends on where that 20hp was gained. if its top end or is it low end or mid range. the dyno tells you where it's gonna be. and you dont magically gain 20hp, you lose somewhere else to compensate for it generally. if he changed vstacks to shorties, he'd could gain 20hp, but also lose midrange/bottom end.

top end doesnt matter unless you're doing top end runs. that's people not knowing what they're doing to make a fast bike, and people just going for horsepower

i wish my butt dyno was as accurate as yours, would put dynojet outta business! fancy computers, bah!
EXACTLY my point.......ive seen a lot of dyno results on here but no 1/8-1/4 or 1 mile times posted before and after....

·
Registered
833 Posts
EXACTLY my point.......ive seen a lot of dyno results on here but no 1/8-1/4 or 1 mile times posted before and after....
I didn't buy my exhaust because of claimed HP gains, I bought it for the sound and looks. I didn't buy the FZ-09 to take to the strip. IMHO there are much better platforms for that than the wheelie prone 09. Just because you put your bike on a dyno, doesn't mean you are going to the strip. Two different things entirely.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I didn't buy my exhaust because of claimed HP gains, I bought it for the sound and looks. I didn't buy the FZ-09 to take to the strip. IMHO there are much better platforms for that than the wheelie prone 09. Just because you put your bike on a dyno, doesn't mean you are going to the strip. Two different things entirely.
AGREED.....I use mine for sumo and that's it.....I ride the piss out of it on the most effed up cornery road I can find for a hour or two then shes parked...I LOVE the engine braking on this bike suits my riding style perfect.....still on the fence about exhaust though the stock isn't that bad but want something a lil deeper....prob go with the ti akra...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
HP is easy to increase, but useless if you don't have a linear torque curve.

Most motorcycle dynos are only good for analyzing HP and Torque output throughout the rev range, not for measuring HP or torque. An experienced tuner knows what to expect on the road based on the Dyno readings, but regardless goes and rides the bike to confirm. Most dyno tuner's will dyno the bike, make some adjustments, dyno again and send you off.

A friend of mine who works at TRD took me on a tour recently of their R&D facility, they have (4) state of the art Engine dyno's that not only take accurate power output measurements but are able to simulate the different loads the engines will experience through every corner at all the different race tracks they compete in. The only bikes I think would have access to tools like this would be MotoGP bikes.

So yes, riding the bike before and after a dyno is critical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My bike runs freaking mint with the full carbon akropovic. I love the gurgles, farts, n pops. ERHMAGERD ITS GONNA BLOW UP GUY ITS SOOO LEAN.

Reactions: marthy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts