Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wellll... not yet... obviously.... :rolleyes:

but 14 litres!? .... oh come on! .. being a brand spanky new design i figure they might have muffed the CAD numbers and shaped it wrong somehow...

lacking anything else on a alternative tank capacity or possible fix .... i have visions ... lump hammer .. panel beaters rod things with the shaped cups on the end ... get in that fuel filler hole and bang-tunk, bang-tunk, bang-tunk .. around inside the edges/sides till it bells out a bit and can fit in a few extra litres...

I might need those litres!! .. WOT has certain conditions that must be met fuel tank wise!! .. :rolleyes:

plus .. we have a lot more open spaces between city bits over here!!...

.... hmmm... wonder if a Box Wine bladder can be slung in a suitable position?!?!?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think that someone on here suggested that the tank capacity was reduced to "cheat" the wet weight scale.

I got 2 litres for you right here...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cool: ... Do they also come as optional N2O?? :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is true!... 50-55 would be sweet!! ... and also i suspect come with careful throttle moderation ... (does that actually exist? ;) ) ...

after the initial run in period .. which i would assume is about the 1000km/620miles - ish?... there might indeed be a sudden drop in fuel economy for a little while?! ...

.. while i dont live on the redline... or necessarily ride like a ratbag constantly ... i do like to use the range of the engines available revs ... if i wanted to purr along at nanna speed i'd probably buy a golf cart! :rolleyes:

Reactions: MaxTorque09

·
Registered
1 Posts

.... hmmm... wonder if a Box Wine bladder can be slung in a suitable position?!?!?
Spoken like a true aussie!

yes everything is so spaced out up here. 200km range will be a difficult thing to manage. and props on stowing some booze on the bike haha

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
This posting was very well in composing, and it furthermore comprises a allotment of useful details. I relished your differentiated way of composing the posted letters. Thanks, you have made it very easy for me to understand.
HUH! (10 Char)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The existing tank capacity can probably be increased 2-3 liters merely by modifying the filler neck.

To pass EPA and to leave an air space above the fuel in the top of the tank, most fuel tanks have a filler neck that extends down into the tank about 2 inches. The idea is to limit you from filling the tank above the bottom of the filler neck.

If you punch a couple of 1/4 holes in the filler neck, you can easily fill another 1" of fuel in the tank and that is about 2 or maybe 3 liters in capacity.

Reactions: River

·
Registered
699 Posts
The existing tank capacity can probably be increased 2-3 liters merely by modifying the filler neck.

To pass EPA and to leave an air space above the fuel in the top of the tank, most fuel tanks have a filler neck that extends down into the tank about 2 inches. The idea is to limit you from filling the tank above the bottom of the filler neck.

If you punch a couple of 1/4 holes in the filler neck, you can easily fill another 1" of fuel in the tank and that is about 2 or maybe 3 liters in capacity.
What are you using to punch your holes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My last several bikes I've removed the filler and then dremeled off the neck. I can get more fuel in and I can see better when filling, as it nears the top.

·
Registered
96 Posts
wellll... not yet... obviously.... :rolleyes:

but 14 litres!? .... oh come on! .. being a brand spanky new design i figure they might have muffed the CAD numbers and shaped it wrong somehow...

lacking anything else on a alternative tank capacity or possible fix .... i have visions ... lump hammer .. panel beaters rod things with the shaped cups on the end ... get in that fuel filler hole and bang-tunk, bang-tunk, bang-tunk .. around inside the edges/sides till it bells out a bit and can fit in a few extra litres...

I might need those litres!! .. WOT has certain conditions that must be met fuel tank wise!! .. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Two canisters under the tail when you really need it. No big deal.

MSR 30 oz. Fuel Bottle - TwistedThrottle.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had an 03 SV1000S with a 17l tank and currently have a DRZ400SM with a 10l tank and I have to say there is absolutely nothing more annoying. The DRZ's an easy fix, actually purchased a larger tank but have yet to install it. Plus, I can flog the crap out of the DRZ and still get 55+ MPG and to be honest seat comfort matches tank size on the DRZ. After 100 miles, you're ready to get off, trust me.
The SV on the other hand had no real options. After mods, it had a range of about 130-140 miles/tank if I was nice. My dealer advised that the bike will be delivered tomorrow or the next day. I really wish we had some MPG numbers because tank size would actually be a deal breaker. If I can't get 150 miles on a tank of fuel, its not the bike for me, performance and price be damned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep I saw the numbers from Yamaha. If during the test they saw around 33-34-ish and Yam says 44, knowing my riding style I'll likely get around 37-39. That puts it on the edge of what I prefer. There may be an available red FZ09 in Houston in the next couple of days. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
my average gauge is saying im getting 52mpg so far ;) ive got 305 miles on it and thats mostly city driving with one trip to the mountains

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Does anyone have pics of this mod on the FZ? Seems like a no brainier when I finally get it.

In retrospect, my old car was a Mazda RX-8, and at 17mpg I would average about 220 mi. Per tank...seemed to be alright.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts