Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it always do it?

What I'm talking about is the noise you hear that sounds like... Uhmmm....
You know it just goes "bshhhhhhhhhht" for like 3 seconds and than its primed.

Hope you guys know what I mean. But my bike has had trouble starting on several occasions because its not priming the injectors before starting.

When I actually notice I just turn the key off then back on.

What I normally do is turn the bike off with the kill switch and leave it in that position and then turn the key off. Starting is just the opposite I turn the key on then move the kill switch to the running position and then start the bike.
Did I do something wrong?

As far as I know it doesn't matter or I haven't noticed any difference in ambient temperature or engine temp having an affect on it priming or not priming.

***Also
I am a YouTuber and my orange FZ-09 is the center of that channel now. I make random.videos of my riding the fz with friends and other stuff. I will be doing videos of any FZ-09 mods I do as well.

MrJD410 - YouTube

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the high pitched whirring? i hear it as soon as the key is turned on, and it stays whirring irrespective of the engine run switch position. my bike always starts on the first crank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the high pitched whirring? i hear it as soon as the key is turned on, and it stays whirring irrespective of the engine run switch position. my bike always starts on the first crank.
No not that sound, its more of a mechanical sound like the fuel pump pushing gas into the injectors.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
No not that sound, its more of a mechanical sound like the fuel pump pushing gas into the injectors.
i think that mechanical sound might be the ycc-t servo doing a self-diagnostic check (probably opening and closing the butterflies). every fuel pump i've ever heard makes a whirring noise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think that mechanical sound might be the ycc-t servo doing a self-diagnostic check (probably opening and closing the butterflies). every fuel pump i've ever heard makes a whirring noise.
Hmmmph sounds right to me. But still doesn't really explain hard starts without hearing the noise though?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What I normally do is turn the bike off with the kill switch and leave it in that position and then turn the key off. Starting is just the opposite I turn the key on then move the kill switch to the running position and then start the bike.
Did I do something wrong?
how long do you wait after turning on the key before you hit the starter?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how long do you wait after turning on the key before you hit the starter?
Normally about 3-4 seconds, when the noise stops.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Normally about 3-4 seconds, when the noise stops.
but you still hear the whirring sound, correct? maybe give it a few more seconds before hitting the starter.

if that mechanical sound is the ycc-t servo self-test it should really happen every time you turn on the key, so i'm not sure what's going on in your case. if you made an audio recording of it, it might help us troubleshoot.

is yours a california bike?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but you still hear the whirring sound, correct? maybe give it a few more seconds before hitting the starter.

if that mechanical sound is the ycc-t servo self-test it should really happen every time you turn on the key, so i'm not sure what's going on in your case. if you made an audio recording of it, it might help us troubleshoot.

is yours a california bike?
I will make a video tonight and post the link to help out explaining and to avoid confusion. Appreciate the fast responses but yes it is a California bike -____-

·
Registered
554 Posts
Other have had this same issue. My bike has always started right up luckily.

Some people had said the issue gets better/goes away with miles.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Here is the video!
Dont hesitate to give me a sub ;)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the video definitely helps.

i think my bike makes that mechanical sound every time it's turned on, but i'm not 100% sure.

is it a random occurrence? how about if you turn the ignition key on with the run switch also on?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The noise you hear is the fuel pump. It will come on (cycle) when the ignition key is turned if the kill switch is in the on position. If the kill switch is in the off position it will not function. HTH :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The noise you hear is the fuel pump. It will come on (cycle) when the ignition key is turned if the kill switch is in the on position. If the kill switch is in the off position it will not function. HTH :)
the video definitely helps.

i think my bike makes that mechanical sound every time it's turned on, but i'm not 100% sure.

is it a random occurrence? how about if you turn the ignition key on with the run switch also on?
I'm thinking I just have to have the key in the running position otherwise it doesn't know to prime the system or whatever. BUT, I couldn't sworn I did it key first with it in the killed position and when I moved it to running position it then made then noise. Not positive though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm thinking I just have to have the key in the running position otherwise it doesn't know to prime the system or whatever. BUT, I couldn't sworn I did it key first with it in the killed position and when I moved it to running position it then made then noise. Not positive though.

If you flip the kill switch on while the system is still cycling the pump will come on for the remainder of the cycle... at least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you flip the kill switch on while the system is still cycling the pump will come on for the remainder of the cycle... at least that's been my experience.
The pump is connected to the ECU which i believe is also connected to the fuel pressure sensor.

As MOST yamaha FI bikes are positive pressure FI systems (eg the whole fuel line gets pressureized instead of just fuel getting pressureized only at the FI head ala mikuni/suzuki bike/scooters) , if the sensor senses there is not enough pressure, it would cycle and restart the pump and do the diagnostics ala hardware restart .

just my 2c

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bet it will start fine if you quit messing with the kill switch. It's not a dirtbike, it has a key like a car. A kill switch on a streetbike is meant to be used if you have an accident or a tip-over. Next time you ride, just use the key to start and stop the engine. And always make sure you let the bike finish cycling through all the stat-up functions before hitting the starter.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I just use the key to turn it off. An old motorcycle cop taught me that, because if you wreck and are in the habit of using the cut off switch, then you won't remove the key which means you have gas pouring out and a bunch of live wires. Even if it just falls over. I know this bike turns off if it falls over.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts