Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
How does the disc muffler look without the discs? Almost the same as the billet end cap style muffler?
You could technically remove the discs and just run the end retainer ring, this would however require different bolts. The mufflers are however the same so users can switch between the billet end cap and the disc pack as desired, we offer both separately.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Are you going to have a full system available, not just a slip on?

·
Registered
103 Posts
What is the benefit of the disc pack over the open billet end? Easier to moderate noise levels with different number of discs? Or is it strictly a looks thing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The disc pack has several great benefits; it allows for tuning of sound as well as power characteristics. It makes better torque than the open end cap and it is noticeably quieter. Peak Hp is the same. The best part of the disc system is it provides a deep powerful tone with excellent sound quality; without the droning of most systems, along with lower dB performance you cannot get by simply installing a dB reducer in an open style baffle (such as the Akra full system)

·
Registered
89 Posts
How quiet are we talking here? I could get behind more power, a little less weight, and a little better look. But I can't wake my toddler up when I leave for work in the morning. Do you have Db measurements at idle, low load, high load?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The exhaust can be quieted down quite a bit by removing some of the included (12) discs. I don't find it to be offensive with all 12 discs installed. That said, I haven't tried it with 2/4/6/etc discs installed, but it will certainly be quieter at the expense of a bit of power. Curious myself Jamie :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
How quiet are we talking here? I could get behind more power, a little less weight, and a little better look. But I can't wake my toddler up when I leave for work in the morning. Do you have Db measurements at idle, low load, high load?
We have not done specific dB testing, however I do have the E-Series running 12 discs on my personal FZ09 and it provides a very reasonable sound level, and the dB level could be easily reduced by removing a couple discs if desired. For comparison its noticeably quieter than the Akra full system with the dB reducer in place (I have that system as well), especially at low RPM and there is none of the associated droning. As for weight savings the E-Series drops over 9lbs over stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe this can give you an idea on sound levels. Hope that helps .

·
Registered
248 Posts
For now we are just offering our mid-pipe set up. Probably won't see a huge gain (other than expense) by offering a full system.
For me it's more about keeping my stock exhaust stock. But man this is sooooooooooooooooo tempting. That sound is better to my ears than any current system available.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That really does sound good. I have the M4 on my 2015 and it definitely drones a bit at certain RPM's and low speed.

For me it's more about keeping my stock exhaust stock. But man this is sooooooooooooooooo tempting. That sound is better to my ears than any current system available.
I really wouldn't worry about cutting your stock exhaust. If you want the stock scrotum back on it at some point in the future it's easy enough to just clamp it back on. Or reweld if you care enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts