Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Mark, new to the forum with a '15 yellow one.
I'd going to try my hand at posting a pic, admittedly not very handy
with that sorta thing, but I'll try. once thee sun comes up.

In the meantime, I'd love to get some feedback on the 2015 mapping.
I think I let some of the magazine writers get into my head about the twitchy throttle.
But then I read 15 models fixed it. so my question is it worth sending in an ECU from a '15?

And Nels at two wheel Dyno ("Hi Nels"), wasn't sure if the 15 is flashable.
Auick shifter? one flash option says "Quick shifter is now active."
What does that mean?
thanks all
Skyhighdaz
central coast CA.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ09. I'm going to move this thread to the intro section, but I'm sure you'll still get some answers about the flashing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2014 Gray and it's true what's been said about an abrupt throttle response. I just ordered a G2 Ergonomics Street Tamer Throttle Tube (G2 Ergonomics - Throttle Tubes and Moto Parts). It claims to reduce the abrupt power delivery by having a revised cam profile on the throttle tube while no extra twist or power loss at full throttle. It's all aluminum with Delron bearings and looks like a high quality unit. Less than $70 for a FZ09 fitment and the reviews are all glowing. Didn't see a review by an FZ09 customer but for such an inexpensive and easy conversion it sure is worth a try. I'll let you know how it does when I receive it in a few days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I test ride a 2014 two weeks days ago, fueling wasn't perfect but not bad enough either as to stop me from buying this awesome bike.
Three days later I got my 2015 bike and from the beginning the fueling was perfect.
After the first 1000 mi including five commutes and few rides up and down the local twisted I can confirm that yamaha has completely solved the issue with the 2015 fueling maps.
My intention was to send Nick my ECU for re flashing but I have used the money in more buying gas to ride more ��

·
Registered
22 Posts
A little under 1k miles and I can tell you that my 2015 matte gray does not have any fueling issues whatsoever. Did not ride a 2014 so I have nothing to compare to. I ve also read some people do not find the 2014 to be problematic either. If you do not like it you can always change it. Great thing about mods

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Yamaha revised map made my bike night and day, mine was an early 2014 model and had a crap throttle (STD was awful, A was great over 1/4 throttle, B was ok), now all the modes are excellent and the bike is transformed, the 2015 bikes and the FJ09/MT09 Tracer have the same or similar maps, the mags shouldn't find fault with them now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Yamaha revised map made my bike night and day, mine was an early 2014 model and had a crap throttle (STD was awful, A was great over 1/4 throttle, B was ok), now all the modes are excellent and the bike is transformed, the 2015 bikes and the FJ09/MT09 Tracer have the same or similar maps, the mags shouldn't find fault with them now.
Please tell us about how you fitted the Supertrapp. I am interested for 2 reasons; performance and I used to work for Paul Moller. Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Please tell us about how you fitted the Supertrapp. I am interested for 2 reasons; performance and I used to work for Paul Moller. Thanks.
Pipe 1.jpg Pipe 2.jpg

Used 2 x 2" stainless mandrel bends with a midline radius of about 4" (I can switch between imperial and metric being a surveyor :)), cut the muffler off on the very edge of the weld behind the O2 sensor, used on2 full bend for the bit that goes in the muffler, shortened the second about 2", got it flared out a bit at a muffler shop to match the diameter of the collector, modified the muffler bracket with a twist so it bolts onto the rh side muffler mount, mounted up the muffler, marked up the pipes with a marker pen once happy with the angle and clearance of the muffler, had it tigged up, then I shortened the muffler 6 inches, including the core and fg wool packing, redrilled the holes for the cap and internal baffle plate, bolted it all on and Bobs your Aunty, an awesome sounding clean fueling MT-09 which is about 10 pounds lighter. Photo may make it all a bit clearer.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
No. The 2015's map is corrected already, so you don't need to send it anywhere.
The only reason you would get a reflash of you 2015 ECU if you wanted to modify the way it works, i.e., disabling the fuel cut to reduce engine braking above 4000rpm, make the fan come on at a lower temp, get rid of the speed limiter, modify the throttle action/modes, disable the air injection to stop the popping on overrun, modify the fuel tables for exhaust changes etc, short of that the 2015 models are sorted in the ECU front, the new map is excellent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2014 Gray and it's true what's been said about an abrupt throttle response. I just ordered a G2 Ergonomics Street Tamer Throttle Tube (G2 Ergonomics - Throttle Tubes and Moto Parts). It claims to reduce the abrupt power delivery by having a revised cam profile on the throttle tube while no extra twist or power loss at full throttle. It's all aluminum with Delron bearings and looks like a high quality unit. Less than $70 for a FZ09 fitment and the reviews are all glowing. Didn't see a review by an FZ09 customer but for such an inexpensive and easy conversion it sure is worth a try. I'll let you know how it does when I receive it in a few days.
I didn't realize that the 2015 models had solved the abrupt throttle problem. But I'll give my review for any 2014 owners out there. I have installed the throttle tamer and find it to perform as advertised. 10 minute installation and big improvement in throttle control. It's not perfect, but how perfect can it get though? I am glad I didn't have to install any aftermarket electronic components. Now that I see the discussions on flashing the 2015's, I have a question :

Does anyone know if the dealer can flash the stock fuel settings for a 15 model onto a 14 model to fix them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts