Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a Track day on sunday, I went to start the bike before a late afternoon session and gas started gushing out. I unfastened the tank and found the white plastic fastener that clips to the tank had come loose. As soon as you turn the key, the fuel pump starts pushing the gas through the line. I clicked it back on and had no problems afterwards. The last time I pulled the tank, was months ago so it was obviously fastened tight after I put it back together. I don’t know what to make of this, and why this happened. I can turn a few wrenches but I’m no guru, so I’m not sure where I should go from here. Should I investigate this further as a possible faulty part, or just chalk it up to a one off experience?

Shout out to motoenthusiast for the free stock seat. It’s much better for track use than the Sargent

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That's weird. I'm guessing it wasn't fully seated from months ago when you put it on.

For what it's worth, I'm actually missing that clip all together. I should probably get a replacement, but I lost it somewhere along the way. I've probably done thousands of miles and one track day with it this way.

Glad you didn't have a bigger problem!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's weird. I'm guessing it wasn't fully seated from months ago when you put it on.

For what it's worth, I'm actually missing that clip all together. I should probably get a replacement, but I lost it somewhere along the way. I've probably done thousands of miles and one track day with it this way.

Glad you didn't have a bigger problem!
I pulled the tank off and realized that my hasty track fix, left it unclipped. I was able to ride a few sessions like this with no problems.
I’m thinking, that I never clipped it when I put it back on a few months ago.

Judging by this, and from what you told me, it is possible to ride unclipped, but it is a ticking time bomb

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

Agreed, I just bought a hose w/ clips off e-bay. Decent price.
I looked at the parts list, and I don't think they're sold separately from Yamaha.
I think it's an assembly with the fuel line.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I removed the security clip. It's the two lugs inside the QD fitting that actually lock onto the fuel outlet

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
510 Posts
Depending on age of bike, might as well replace the entire hose. Don't those go bad after X age anyway?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Depending on age of bike, might as well replace the entire hose. Don't those go bad after X age anyway?
They certainly do. You want to check the condition of the hose. Look for cracks or evidence of seeping.
Also, I'm not a big fan of the plastic barbs on the tank. I'd inspect those carefully too to make sure they're not split/cracked. I've seen a lot of folks here set their tank down and inadvertently snap them off.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
They certainly do. You want to check the condition of the hose. Look for cracks or evidence of seeping.
Also, I'm not a big fan of the plastic barbs on the tank. I'd inspect those carefully too to make sure they're not split/cracked. I've seen a lot of folks here set their tank down and inadvertently snap them off.
Bingo😬
Except mine fell off the subframe when doing a TB sync.

Reactions: MK3Brent
1 - 8 of 8 Posts