Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've now gotten 300 miles down on my MT-09 and it feels great! I just have to ask, is anyone else's fuel gauge completely off? I have on bar left at about half a tank, had the same problem with my -11 XT660z. Maybe it's a Yamaha thing.

Anyway, just wanted to check. I'd rather have a pessimistic fuel gauge than a optimistic one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Same. I'll hit about 90 or so miles on my trip and be at one bar. I was thinking I was getting horrible gas mileage, but when I filled up I noticed it wasn't even close to a full tank.

·
Registered
224 Posts
This bike reads about as accurately as every single other vehicle in existence, not very.

The trip odometer will always serve as my fuel gage, as it should for anyone who wants an accurate fuel gage.

I wish i could remove the fuel gauge indicator, its annoying.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It feels like the tank is odd shaped inside so that you get 90 miles into the tank without the gauge moving much at all and then it just drops very quickly. I just use it for quick reference but mostly go by trip meter and then the miles post low fuel light.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Well, our speedometers are also very much inaccurate. I am ordering a speedo healer, a very important upgrade because our bikes odometers are displaying more miles than we have actually ridden. Way more miles. This bad for resale value and many other factors.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, our speedometers are also very much inaccurate. I am ordering a speedo healer, a very important upgrade because our bikes odometers are displaying more miles than we have actually ridden. Way more miles. This bad for resale value and many other factors.
Are you the same guy who said yamaha should be arrested for selling the fz09 with the fatally dangerous stock suspension?

If so you have quite the imagination my friend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any idea on how much?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Typically, Jap bike speedos are VERY optimistic. BUT, the odos are usually very accurate. Just my observation over 38 years of owning and riding Jap bikes.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Well, I have always thought that Speedo and Odometer work hand in hand. Speedo Healer has a pretty good article about this, can't find it now of course, but am looking.

And Galin, people who know me face to face would never put words in my mouth or stretch my quotes. I never suggested arresting them.

It is impossible to even set proper sag on this bike stock. Which is, yes, dangerous, possibly fatally, if ridden hard in the corners by a rider over 200 lbs. Please, go try it, as fast as you can.

I love my FZ, but was a little ticked about the suspension that they put on a fast bike. I doubt I'm alone in calling them dangerous.

If someone knows more about the correlation between Speedo and Odometer, please share. But speedo and Fuel gauges are for sure inaccurate.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If someone knows more about the correlation between Speedo and Odometer, please share.
the speedo and odo are linked (they both get their inputs from the speedo sensor), but what richbaker meant was that the speedo is optimistic by design and the odo isn't. the speedo 'error' is intentionally programmed in and the odo is accurate for stock tires and stock gearing. if you change gearing, both will be thrown off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My speedo is fairly accurate. GPS says 70 and speedo says 72. 85 gps and 88 speedo. From my iphone gps.
I kind of ignore the fuel gauge. It isn't linear. I watch the OD more. I do use the low warning light. Go find gas now.
Point 74 gallons left, they say once flashing, but I make sure to fill up within 20 miles. At 40 mpg this works to be almost 30 miles to dry. Big perhaps, and I don't want to find out in a bad place .

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine is pretty accurate. Rode until th ebar was flashing and put 12 more on it. Filled up with 3.2 gallons. Seemed about right. But I use my trip meter more than my fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is something very new to me. My other bikes do not have one so I've been using the trip meter for a few years now on them when I ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts