Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen many threads on fuel efficiency so I thought I would start one. Although this is a performance bike some of us are probably using it as sport touring and/or commuting bikes and fuel economy mods are a great way to offset the smallish tank size. I have read a thread already on the fuel tank mod where punch holes allow the tank to be filled higher, supposedly getting it close to 4 gallons provided you don't tip it over and let some fuel spill out the vent hose. I will be doing that mod along with changing the sprockets to give me some better highway cruising fuel efficiency and range.

If you have any suggestions or methods that you increased your range or fuel economy of the FZ-09 please post them in this thread. Some possible ideas include: Oil weight, air filters, aftermarket tanks, auxiliary tanks, exhaust systems, ecu flashes, etc. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Be careful with flashes... Most flashes actually have fuel and ignition mapping, even for the stock exhaust, to improve performance. Those flashes, will increase fuel consumption. Aftermarket exhaust, needing fueling changes, will increase fuel consumption.

I say, leave it stock, leave it running Yamaha lean, use B mode... Etc. Before my exhaust and flash I easily got 50MPG, that I thought was pretty impressive, all in A mode. I don't think 50MPG is bad. Most of it will depend on how you ride it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We need a poor fuel economy, maximum fun thread for me to post in. I get about 100 miles to a tank before my light comes on averaging about 35mpg. LMAO.
I understand completely as I too have a heavy right wrist, however I have another bike for beating on in the canyons. :) I don't care about fuel economy when local, but when I am riding long distances I would like to ease back and get some great fuel economy cruising at 80mph and only stop for gas every 180+ miles.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I don't think you will get an extra 10-15MPG from any mods. That is a huge increase, on a performance motor. And I still think the largest increase will be based on riding style, and not mods.

Aux tanks are your best bet.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Staying under 60 mph and in 5th/6th gear will save you the most. Also acceleration kills fuel economy.

Reactions: Reverend Lee

·
Registered
150 Posts
I recommend a weight loss program. I lost some weight and I am easily getting 2-3 more MPG

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be careful with flashes... Most flashes actually have fuel and ignition mapping, even for the stock exhaust, to improve performance. Those flashes, will increase fuel consumption. Aftermarket exhaust, needing fueling changes, will increase fuel consumption.

I say, leave it stock, leave it running Yamaha lean, use B mode... Etc. Before my exhaust and flash I easily got 50MPG, that I thought was pretty impressive, all in A mode. I don't think 50MPG is bad. Most of it will depend on how you ride it.
50-55mpg seems like a good target if it can be obtained at 80mph, that would mean fill ups at 180-200 miles carrying 4 gallons in the tank. I know usually exhaust systems reduce fuel efficiency, it just isn't something they consider when designing them. There just isn't a market for fuel efficiency motorcycle mods, most people just buy the ncx700! I would think the right air filter and a special map for efficiency could raise the mpg a bit. The mapping is a great mod as igt allows both high performance and high fuel efficiency at the press of a button.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
If you flog it, you can't help but notice how fast the led segments blip off. So by far the most effect would be driving it conservatively. The instrument cluster indicates when you're driving economically. You can also set the display to show you real time mpg, so you can really learn how to optimize with that information. None of the other things you mention would come close with much of any measureable effect.

I believe the next one down the list would be the gear ratio. Bigger gear in the front and smaller on the rear. If there's enough clearance for the larger diameter, you might be able to go two teeth up in the front. The other thing to watch is your resulting chain adjustment. Changing the same number of teeth front and rear would keep the same adjustment. Too much of a change on one end may require link removal or addition. Search on this site for gear ratio charts to calculate the mpg benefits. Since cruising rpm will drop, it will also make it quieter and more relaxed.

I know most owners would like more range per tank, but not by reducing the FZ fun factor.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I understand completely as I too have a heavy right wrist, however I have another bike for beating on in the canyons. :) I don't care about fuel economy when local, but when I am riding long distances I would like to ease back and get some great fuel economy cruising at 80mph and only stop for gas every 180+ miles.
I rode mine to Austin, TX from Nashville, TN last year and only managed 135 miles to a tank low light at an average speed of around 75mph in STD mode. The FJ tank may get 180 miles. My LED bars stay on full for a long time, then quickly go away. Not very reliable guage, IMO.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I don't see 50-55 mpg happening at 80 mph (unless it's all downhill), but I may be wrong. Set your cluster to realtime mpg and run it at 80 for a stretch. As soon as our 30 mph wind dies down, I plan on doing the same.

·
Registered
202 Posts
We need a poor fuel economy, maximum fun thread for me to post in. I get about 100 miles to a tank before my light comes on averaging about 35mpg. LMAO.
Thats EXACTLY what i'm getting. I havent reset the mpg since I bought the bike. I'll post a shot of my avg mpg when i get home haha

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
First thing to do to increase tank capacity is to remove the charcoal canister and plug that hole.
Next, remove or at least punch several holes in the filler neck of the fuel tank. I used a big punch that I have and punched 6 or 7 1/4" diameter holes in the filler neck.

This allows the tank to effectively hold about 4 gallons from dry. I ran my tank dry the first day I rode it just to confirm tank capacity.

In California and many other places that have the vapor capturing foreskin on the fuel nozzle, you manually retract the foreskin to be able to fully fill the fuel tank.

I was getting 41 mpg pretty typically before the flash. This gave me a 150+ mile range which is enough for most routes. I have a couple of routes that I enjoy that are more than 120 miles between fuel stops...

During the reflash, I had Vcyclenut set it so that the bike comes on in A mode. Now I am getting about 38 mpg. I am attributing it to being in the A mode all the time but I have to do a test where I remember to put it in STD every time I ride to confirm that is the cause.

BTW, I really enjoy the default A mode!

·
Registered
539 Posts
^How did you manage a 300 mile trip at 65mph is my biggest question.

I just rode back to college yesterday (334 miles) at 80mph and averaged 39 mpg...

·
Registered
85 Posts
My last ride my fuel started flashing at 163km... its a thirsty little shit when you ride it the way its supposed to be ridden...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I rode about 1k miles last week and never ran it low enough to have the last fuel tick mark flashing at me. I was filling up at around 120 miles and putting about 2.75-3 gal in... I've had good luck consistently getting right around 42mpg's.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Use "B" mode on the highway. Get vcyclenut's ECU flash with cruise control. Get a larger windscreen, 1.5 liter fuel bottles are available. http://www.amazon.com/Primus-P-7325...8944572&sr=8-1&keywords=1.5+liter+fuel+bottle Your mileage may actually be less with the reflash but it's worth it in performance.

Oddly enough, I get better MPG in STD and worst in B mode! Plus B mode feels so sluggish, it's my rain/extreme cold weather mode now.

I rode mine to Austin, TX from Nashville, TN last year and only managed 135 miles to a tank low light at an average speed of around 75mph in STD mode. The FJ tank may get 180 miles. My LED bars stay on full for a long time, then quickly go away. Not very reliable guage, IMO.
Not a reliable gauge at all..why cant they make one that shows full to empty with a graduated countdown?!

I don't see 50-55 mpg happening at 80 mph (unless it's all downhill), but I may be wrong. Set your cluster to realtime mpg and run it at 80 for a stretch. As soon as our 30 mph wind dies down, I plan on doing the same.
I like to see the real time MPG but it fluctuates so much- anywhere from 25 to 80mpg even! But it is interesting to see how the mpg drops when I accelerate hard. A smooth throttle gives the best mpg.

This weekend, did about 500 miles of interstates NY-->DC-->NY- a steady speed, non-aggressive throttle, STD mode- got my best ever mpg- 48-54mpg. I was surprised to have 3-4 bars of fuel left (just a bit less than half tank?) when I got back home. Usually, my low fuel light shows up- or have only 1 bar left. No real mods. Wish someone would make an aftermarket tank for the FZ- it's nice not having to worry about running out of fuel.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts