Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a fuel economy ride and fuel range of today.

Mode B
75-80F, not windy
Steady speed trying to keep it around 70 MPH steady. North 90 miles then back South on I-95. 1 stop and one on/off exit to turn around.

So the dash MPG is way off. Actual MPG are 47 MPG. Still really good I think considering the exhaust update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Anybody else have a report on MPG? I am considering this bike as my new commuter, but fuel economy is kinda important. My current SV1000S is bad, between 30-37. 47 would be awesome. I only get about 110-120 per tank and that just sucks. If anyone else could chime in, that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Anybody else have a report on MPG? I am considering this bike as my new commuter, but fuel economy is kinda important. My current SV1000S is bad, between 30-37. 47 would be awesome. I only get about 110-120 per tank and that just sucks. If anyone else could chime in, that would be great.
depends on what kind of riding you do. with mostly urban riding, i get about 35mpg. if you're doing mostly highway, 50mpg isn't out of reach.

if fuel economy is that important, you're better off with a very small displacement motorcycle (like a cbr250) or a scooter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
depends on what kind of riding you do. with mostly urban riding, i get about 35mpg. if you're doing mostly highway, 50mpg isn't out of reach.

if fuel economy is that important, you're better off with a very small displacement motorcycle (like a cbr250) or a scooter.
...or a KTM Duke 690 that gets 62MPG! :)

Asking for great fuel economy on a bike like this is just plain wrong anyways, the day I have to worry about MPG on a motorcycle, take me out back and put a bullet between my eyes would ya.

;)

·
Registered
273 Posts

Thanks
2000 miles logged as of today. Average for this total mileage is right at 40. Low was 33 and high was 47. I rarely ride in B. Mostly A. I rarely do more than 50 miles of interstate miles at a time. 125 miles to the fuel flashing and it takes 3.1 or so. I never think of fuel consumption riding a bike like this one, so keep that in mind. Mileage isn't the reason to get a 9, that is for sure.
I ride with a friend that has a SV1000s and he always uses less gas than I when we fill up together. Like a half gallon less?

·
Registered
176 Posts
cmon guys... asking for good fuel economy for a bike that can outfun most litre class sportbikes is asking abit too much.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
cmon guys... asking for good fuel economy for a bike that can outfun most litre class sportbikes is asking abit too much.
Agreed...it's just a bonus not an expectation.

If you want good gas mileage, get a sportster...a buddy of mine is usually in the high 50s on an 883.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My RSV4 gas light would come on between 90-100 no matter how you treated it, it was running full race mapping and exhaust but even stock it was terrible. Getting 125 before the light comes on with the Yamaha is a bonus for me, heck the Aprilia even had a 4.5 gallon tank. The FZ09 mileage seems comparable to the other naked bikes of similar displacement the only difference seems to be the smaller fuel capacity.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm still on break-in, but I'm reading about 47mpg. I haven't checked it for accuracy, and haven't checked the speedo for accuracy either. I haven't tracked the bars to see how they actually read for gallons remaining either. With my V-Strom the tank was large on top and got skinnier (similar to the FZ-09), and the gas gauge took forever to move - and then just dropped out the bottom. I figured out how much it took for each bar (ran it dry, then slowly added gas while watching) - and I used a label maker with 1/4 inch clear tape and black letters to mark the bars. As each dark bar went out - it displayed how much was left. The FZ-09 bars are a lot smaller so I won't mark them - but it would be good to know what they are (I only have one bike now - so it will be easier to remember anyway).

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think a good wind screen will improve the fuel economy some all the stuff above the headlight sure isn't very clean, also the riders body catches alot of air. I have a screen comming someday so I will check milage and see. RR:mask:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Anything more than 35mpg sounds good to me!

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Suzuki GS500F I used to own averaged 55-60mpg on the highway. Great gas mileage, but outgrew her quick. You can get a used one for cheap too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just completed a 1000km trip to get up rated suspension for the 09.Here are the fuel consumption figures for the trip.Still breaking in the engine.English gallons not American (English Gallon = 4.54 liters,American Gallon = 3.78 Liters)
Selection_145.jpg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I got 45mpg while blasting around on back roads, pretty good considering the top gear I used was 4th.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts