Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone uses are far as fuel grade and if they ad an additive. I always pump the highest rated fuel in my bike that I can. Some guys say it doesnt matter and others swear by it. It just cant hurt it, thats the way I look at it. As for additive, I put star tron in every fill up. It gets kind of pricey in the long run but I think its worth any potential damage. Plus it really helps the fuel keep, I have never once drained fuel from anything for the winter and it always starts right up come spring. I have no intention of switching additives but Id love to know what else anyone uses if any and are there ones we should stay away from?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If, by highest rated fuel, you mean the highest octane, be careful. Too high of an octane can be detrimental.
How so? Ill be honest, I deal more with cetane normally.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just curious what everyone uses are far as fuel grade and if they ad an additive. I always pump the highest rated fuel in my bike that I can. Some guys say it doesnt matter and others swear by it. It just cant hurt it, thats the way I look at it.
If you "always" pump the highest rated fuel.....then there is no sense into recommending anything to you because you have already made up your mind. What you are telling us is that you know more about the bike you ride than the engineers who designed it. You should start your own forum so that we can ask you questions.

Reactions: Nickel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys I have a question regarding octane level for the FIRST fill.

I just got my fz-09 today, and I love it so far. When I picked it up from the dealership I asked the guy who filled up the tank what octane it took, and he said 87. Then he came up to me a minute later and said he just checked the manual and it was actually 91. However, the tank was filled before I even showed up, which means he probably incorrectly filled it with 87. I know that the engine is delicate during the break in period, so I wanted to ask if filling up the first tank with 87 is horrible, or if it's not that big of a deal so long as all other refills are 91.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If, by highest rated fuel, you mean the highest octane, be careful. Too high of an octane can be detrimental.
Here in Canada we have 94 octane at Chevron stations, that's the only gas I use for my Evo.. Would that be too high of octane for my FZ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here in Canada we have 94 octane at Chevron stations, that's the only gas I use for my Evo.. Would that be too high of octane for my FZ?
No, it will be fine. The octane recommended is usually a minimum. You will never notice 2-3 points higher octane. I think you are better off using 93-94 octane in anything that is not used on a daily basis, because gasoline loses octane rating as it sits. This way, if your bike sits for 2-3 weeks or more, you should be closer to the recommended octane. If it's going to sit much longer than that, you should probably add a fuel stabilizer like what the OP is using!

Mike

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hey guys I have a question regarding octane level for the FIRST fill.

I just got my fz-09 today, and I love it so far. When I picked it up from the dealership I asked the guy who filled up the tank what octane it took, and he said 87. Then he came up to me a minute later and said he just checked the manual and it was actually 91. However, the tank was filled before I even showed up, which means he probably incorrectly filled it with 87. I know that the engine is delicate during the break in period, so I wanted to ask if filling up the first tank with 87 is horrible, or if it's not that big of a deal so long as all other refills are 91.
It is fine, just don't go WOT until your next tank and be sure to put at least 91 at your next fill up.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I stick to 91 no ethanol. :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
when i bought the FZ the guy at the shop i bought it from gave me this

Yamalube

And also gave me their fuel RX additive too. Given i'm still rarely riding the bike with the weather, i've been adding both when i fill up.

I haven't noticed any difference and am only really using it because he gave it to me.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If you "always" pump the highest rated fuel.....then there is no sense into recommending anything to you because you have already made up your mind. What you are telling us is that you know more about the bike you ride than the engineers who designed it. You should start your own forum so that we can ask you questions.
Wow, I guess the OP will think twice before starting another thread.
I got a book you might want to check out:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Dave,

It's a bit concerning that your website doesn't exist:

Lubriflux

And there's hardly any information online for the product.

Sounds like snake oil to me.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts