Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I just signed up to this forum and I don't have a FZ-09 yet. I plan to get one after the winter is over and I'm wondering if there are going to be any smaller replacement front turn signals for this bike? I plan to get a fender eliminator kit and I just find that the front signals detract from the looks of this amazing machine.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
There will be aftermarket turn signals out there, both conventional and LED. The LED signals will probably require a different flasher unit though so that they don't flash off and on so quickly

Reactions: Pacer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the led turn signals from yamaha genuine accessories are nice, but pricey.

Yamaha Motor Europe - Genuine Accessories Catalogue - Motorcycles, Scooters, ATV, Marine and Lifestyle

they use the stock yamaha connectors and have speed-regulating resistors so no need to buy an electronic flasher relay (although i think i read somewhere that they still flash a bit faster, it might be a european thing), but you do lose the front running lights.

alternatively, the stock european-spec mt-09 non-led turn signals with clear lenses are a bit smaller than the north american ones and might be a good choice, if you can find someone who's ditching theirs to ship them over to you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My problem with using resistors is two fold. A, they are just wasting energy, and B, they get warm, and in some cases hot. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I prefer to switch to an electronic relay, takes care of everything, doesn't waste power, and is some cases, they can be programmed to different flash patterns.

Having the stock connectors shouldn't be the only thing that makes those appealing. The connectors can be purchased as well, and put on any turn signals. Oh, and you want running turn signals?

Connectors: Motorcycle OEM Connectors for blinkers and tail lights

Running Turn Signals: Custom LED Blinker Genie Relay - Convert 2 wire LED blinker to 3 wire

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My problem with using resistors is two fold. A, they are just wasting energy, and B, they get warm, and in some cases hot. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
that's what resistors are designed to do - dissipate electrical energy as heat. when they're sized correctly, it's not a problem.

you're not really worried about 'wasting energy', are you? we're talking about turn signals here - they're on minimally. those two little always-on running lights on either side of the headlight are wasting far more energy than led turn signal resistors ever will.

·
Registered
298 Posts
that's what resistors are designed to do - dissipate electrical energy as heat. when they're sized correctly, it's not a problem.

you're not really worried about 'wasting energy', are you? we're talking about turn signals here - they're on minimally. those two little always-on running lights on either side of the headlight are wasting far more energy than led turn signal resistors ever will.
Of course I am not worried. My OCD nature doesn't care for just taking energy and turning it into useless heat. Of course we aren't talking a large amount of power, and if there was no other solution, it is one that I would go with. Since there is an alternate solution, and in my opinion an easier one, I will take that.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Of course I am not worried. My OCD nature doesn't care for just taking energy and turning it into useless heat. Of course we aren't talking a large amount of power, and if there was no other solution, it is one that I would go with. Since there is an alternate solution, and in my opinion an easier one, I will take that.
i agree it's good to have different options. ease of installation was primarily why i suggested the yamaha turn signals - just plug them in and go.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yup i am liking the graphite ones

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wonder, is there any need for resistors if I change to turn signals with bulbs? Looking at these turn signals Micro Indicators / Turnsignals from R&G Racing RG370
R & G says: "In many cases, after fitting these indicators, you may find that they flash too fast or too slow. To stop this, R&G Resistors can be fitted - product code RGR0001" I though that I dont need resistors if I change to turn signals with bulbs cause thats whats on the bike from the beginning?!

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
If anyone has two front turn signal bulb sockets that they'd be willing to part with, please PM me. I'm just looking for the sockets- they should have three wires. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My problem with using resistors is two fold. A, they are just wasting energy, and B, they get warm, and in some cases hot. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I prefer to switch to an electronic relay, takes care of everything, doesn't waste power, and is some cases, they can be programmed to different flash patterns.

Having the stock connectors shouldn't be the only thing that makes those appealing. The connectors can be purchased as well, and put on any turn signals. Oh, and you want running turn signals?

Connectors: Motorcycle OEM Connectors for blinkers and tail lights

Running Turn Signals: Custom LED Blinker Genie Relay - Convert 2 wire LED blinker to 3 wire
Running turn signals! I needed this for my Chinese turn signals! I had to wire In some random LEDs so I had running lights too, now I can bring it all back together! Thanks!

Man I hate undoing heat shrink tubing.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Running turn signals! I needed this for my Chinese turn signals! I had to wire In some random LEDs so I had running lights too, now I can bring it all back together! Thanks!

Man I hate undoing heat shrink tubing.
That's what Chad sold me to make my front running lights (next to headlight) be use as blinkers too with yellow LED bulb.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts