Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true the FZ09 does not come with all the tools need to remove the front wheel? I actually have to go out and buy a 14mm Allen wrench? Really? I thought bikes come with enough tools to handle emergency situations.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think having to remove the front wheel on the side of the road is a bit more than an emergency no?
^^ this

Also, I was unable to locate a socket that big in any hardware store in my area. Ended up ordering from zoro tools.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't know the actual size but on my brothers bike (03 buell xb9s) he used a park plug socket or a socket that has a hex top half and used the socket backwards. Maybe you can find a similar socket with a 14mm hex?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Or use a nut that is wide enough to solidly bite the axle and socket.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've found inexpensive sets at Auto Zone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, etc...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Saw this inexpensive set just today at O'Reilly's. They go all the way to 19mm.

hex set.JPG

·
Registered
654 Posts
wait until he finds out it didn't come with a self levitating fork either =)

·
Registered
857 Posts
And.. no center stand, I think the tool kit is a joke, and I considered building one up. Then, where would I put it? So I decided my cell phone is my tool kit.

If you are talking maintenance of the bike at home, if you don't have a full tool kit, start buying up the pieces you need and take care of them. By the time you get to my age (too old) you will have tools to bugger almost any job!

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
^^ this

Also, I was unable to locate a socket that big in any hardware store in my area. Ended up ordering from zoro tools.

O'REILLY Auto parts typically carries a set for about $16 that has 10mm up to 18mm, plus with at 3/8 drive, it is perfect to put on your torque wrench so you are doing right, instead of using an allen wrench.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tool bag is pretty much worthless. I carry a leather man in my bike that functions just fine for minor adjustments etc on the road. There aren't many things you can really fix on the side of the road that would force you to stop anyway. Of the 9 bikes I've owned over the years none of them have come with sockets. Just an Allen key or two, some screwdrivers and pliers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another source for hex (allen wrench) sockets is harbor freight. I got a set that includes 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive hex sockets that go up to 17mm. IIRC it was on sale for $10 or $12. As far as the tool kit that comes with the bike is concerned, I thought it included more than I expected. It's been a while since I've bought a bike that came with a spanner to adjust shock pre-load.

·
Registered
654 Posts
+1 on the pleasantly surprised it came with the spanner to adjust preload on the shock

·
Registered
2 Posts
^^ this

Go To Napa Auto Parts, Most ALL Stores Same Day OR Following Morning

Socket, 1/2"; 14 mm; Impact; Hex Driver Metric

Part: NPT 615314
Product Line: NAPA Air Tools

Features & Benefits
Forged From High Quality Chrome Molybdenum Alloy Steel, Radius Corner Design For Better Gripping Of Fastener & Chamfered Openings For Faster Socket Fit Over Fastener

Attributes
# Socket Points : 6
Socket Drive Size : 1/2"
Socket Finish : Phosphate
Socket Size : 14 mm
Socket Type : Hex Driver Metric
Standard or Impact : Impact
Socket Length : Standard

Warranty
Limited Lifetime

I Have Napa Know How, Just Ask.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts