Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
Yes I've seen a few cartridges being changed I could manage that, but I remember someone saying that ktech cartridges are different and there's no instructions with them that just put me off them
Here a link. The installation manual is right at the bottom of the page.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here a link. The installation manual is right at the bottom of the page.

Now I'm after coming across mupo for 500 euro including oil and springs and shipping from Italy. I contacted Capelo who is on here , he has the exact ones that I'm looking at and he says they are very comfortable and planted. I am very tempted ,I'm on the vino now and after another glass who knows what could happen. 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Now I'm after coming across mupo for 500 euro including oil and springs and shipping from Italy. I contacted Capelo who is on here , he has the exact ones that I'm looking at and he says they are very comfortable and planted. I am very tempted ,I'm on the vino now and after another glass who knows what could happen. 馃
Don't believe it ,they are all out of stock

Registered
Hi there I recently bought a 2015 mt09 with only 800 km's. I have changed the exhaust to gpr not too loud, front head light and rear all in one light ,ohlins shock. Now, I am new here but I have read loads from here on front suspension. I am not a track rider ,I'm an easy going driver overall. Here where I live in kerry, the roads are twisty which is fine but can be bumpy ,I've had a few corners where the pogo stick thing happened and I did get a fright in one or two corners and obviously the brake dive happens ,that really annoys me ,so here's the holy grail of questions....what suspension fix should I make ,I'm not an aggressive driver, but I want my bike to be comfortable over bumps , the andreani's seem harsh ,I don't know about springs and oil, my budget is around 鈧600 mark . I just want no pogo stick no brake dive and comfortable over bumps . I can't find an answer for that here, so if anyone can help I'd be grateful. I will do the work myself. Cheers to anyone who reads this.
Try screwing in the hex nuts on the top of the front shocks, which greatly improved my FZ-09 handling. Then adjust the flat head screws front and rear correctly for your conditions. Tighten the rear spring preload. That will greatly improve riding on the twisty roads. For a long highway ride, it will be quite harsh. After market upgrades will probably also be miserable for long highway rides. Chose wisely. I'm happy with the stock suspension set stiff, however for a long highway trip and cruise, changing the settings somewhat softer, however not to the very soft factory settings would be an option. I suggest that you purchase a true race machine, instead of modifying your perfectly fine street ride. Put a wire tie on the front fork chrome rod to observe and adjust the preload correctly. Stand up when riding and bounce the rear suspension for adjustment settings after the front is set to your liking. These are not adjustment settings for a race machine, however, they will greatly improve an 09 machine and they are free. Keep in mind that your 09 doesn't have a foot of travel and a true road racing machine doesn't like bumps either. Maybe a true dual sport machine is an option for the bumps if stiffer settings is not a good option for you.Chose wisely.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Try screwing in the hex nuts on the top of the front shocks, which greatly improved my FZ-09 handling. Then adjust the flat head screws front and rear correctly for your conditions. Tighten the rear spring preload. That will greatly improve riding on the twisty roads. For a long highway ride, it will be quite harsh. After market upgrades will probably also be miserable for long highway rides. Chose wisely. I'm happy with the stock suspension set stiff, however for a long highway trip and cruise, changing the settings somewhat softer, however not to the very soft factory settings would be an option. I suggest that you purchase a true race machine, instead of modifying your perfectly fine street ride. Put a wire tie on the front fork chrome rod to observe and adjust the preload correctly. Stand up when riding and bounce the rear suspension for adjustment settings after the front is set to your liking. These are not adjustment settings for a race machine, however, they will greatly improve an 09 machine and they are free. Keep in mind that your 09 doesn't have a foot of travel and a true road racing machine doesn't like bumps either. Maybe a true dual sport machine is an option for the bumps if stiffer settings is not a good option for you.Chose wisely.
Yes , The ohlins rear I have adjusted to my ideal sweet spot, the front at the moment I have is soft enough but that does absorb the bumps very well, actually if I can accept the brake dive, I'll be OK.

Registered
Yes , The ohlins rear I have adjusted to my ideal sweet spot, the front at the moment I have is soft enough but that does absorb the bumps very well, actually if I can accept the brake dive, I'll be OK.
Tried a smaller air gap in the forks?

Registered
2020 XSR9, Shock Factory M rear, K-Tech fork pistons
Good video, easily understood. Should also help those interested the time involved to do a good job who think they're being ripped off by mechanics!

Registered
Hi there I recently bought a 2015 mt09 with only 800 km's. I have changed the exhaust to gpr not too loud, front head light and rear all in one light ,ohlins shock. Now, I am new here but I have read loads from here on front suspension. I am not a track rider ,I'm an easy going driver overall. Here where I live in kerry, the roads are twisty which is fine but can be bumpy ,I've had a few corners where the pogo stick thing happened and I did get a fright in one or two corners and obviously the brake dive happens ,that really annoys me ,so here's the holy grail of questions....what suspension fix should I make ,I'm not an aggressive driver, but I want my bike to be comfortable over bumps , the andreani's seem harsh ,I don't know about springs and oil, my budget is around 鈧600 mark . I just want no pogo stick no brake dive and comfortable over bumps . I can't find an answer for that here, so if anyone can help I'd be grateful. I will do the work myself. Cheers to anyone who reads this.
First thing is I hope you are careful regardless of the set up you have.

Registered
I had K-Tech fork pistons fitted to my XSR900 and find them just fine for the road. I initially thought the forks were ok but the rear unit was pish, so I fitted a Shock Factory rear - then the front showed up as being harsh. The piston kit is not the full cartridge, just the valves - including fitting they were 拢270 Front Fork Piston Kit The bike is now as good as a Street Triple RS

Registered
Hello Franky!

Which option did you choose, and what is your opinion of it if I may ask? Looking to upgrade the suspension myself馃.

Thanks
The best option is to buy a Moto GP bike or similar. Or set up a true race bike if you want to race, and keep the racing to a closed race course that will not be stupid bumpy with Heavy Chevies, Metal Guard Rail Posts, Street Signs, and Trees. Even the best race bike will do bad things on a poor old bumpy road. Adjust your stock suspension for your weight, lose a few pounds if that is your issue, and do not leave your brain in the Van. A stock 09 with all of the best settings, a great rider, and good conditions can corner so well that you will need to saw off half of both foot pegs, or buy shorter foot pegs and move your foot away from the pavement or cut one side off of your foot. My suspension is stock and set stiff and hard. If I was going on a long trip I would expect it to be a poor bumpy ride. Street racing at the maximum limits will definitely get you an orange toboggan ride sooner or later. Oil, antifreeze, and similar, not to mention a Kenworth on the Cherola Skyway that left five dead MC riders should be enough information.

Registered
The best option is to buy a Moto GP bike or similar. Or set up a true race bike if you want to race, and keep the racing to a closed race course that will not be stupid bumpy with Heavy Chevies, Metal Guard Rail Posts, Street Signs, and Trees. Even the best race bike will do bad things on a poor old bumpy road. Adjust your stock suspension for your weight, lose a few pounds if that is your issue, and do not leave your brain in the Van. A stock 09 with all of the best settings, a great rider, and good conditions can corner so well that you will need to saw off half of both foot pegs, or buy shorter foot pegs and move your foot away from the pavement or cut one side off of your foot. My suspension is stock and set stiff and hard. If I was going on a long trip I would expect it to be a poor bumpy ride. Street racing at the maximum limits will definitely get you an orange toboggan ride sooner or later. Oil, antifreeze, and similar, not to mention a Kenworth on the Cherola Skyway that left five dead MC riders should be enough information.
Wise words but the guy just asked what front suspension upgrade he recommended! 馃ゴ He didn't need a life sermon.
Also no doubt in my mind that a better cartridge setup is beneficial on the road on these bikes.

Registered
Wise words but the guy just asked what front suspension upgrade he recommended! 馃ゴ He didn't need a life sermon.
Also no doubt in my mind that a better cartridge setup is beneficial on the road on these bikes.
If the factory stock suspension actually needs shorter foot pegs with the correct setting for street riding, why bother with upgrades
? Sorry about the sermon trying to save someone money and grief.

Registered
If the factory stock suspension actually needs shorter foot pegs with the correct setting for street riding, why bother with upgrades
? Sorry about the sermon trying to save someone money and grief.
Just because changing both ends for under $700 made my bike as fun and comfortable to ride on the road as my previous Tuono V4.
I've done my fair share of race and trackdays to know what works on the road and keeps my old coccyx fracture from getting hammered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Cool, enjoy
To be honest if you're not doing track days or driving fast on bad roads, I actually wouldn't change the suspension. I don't think it needs it . I actually put an ohlins shock on the rear and overall I didn't really notice much of a difference. If I didn't hear or read anything about the mt09 suspension on the internet , all I would have done is adjusted the suspension to my liking and carried on happy as Larry oblivious to all the hype about the suspension. I did notice a big difference to the front suspension just by adjusting it and then that was good enough for me. At the end of the day it is what you think about your suspension and not what everybody else thinks. Think carefully.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts