Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Pit-Bull rear spool stand on my bike for the winter...no surprise I am impressed with the quality of Pit-Bull.

I'm contemplating a front stand now...they make a Convertible Headlift/Fork stand, and a regular Headlift Stand for less $$.
The question: is there any reason I would want to lift the bike by the forks that would justify getting the convertible stand?...Or am I good to just get the Headlift Stand?

I had cheapo rear and front stands with my old bike, btw, which I sold with the bike, I found the forklift stands that I had to be kind of rickety...I can't remember the brand, might have been Pro Hoist, it looked like this:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I have the convertible stand from Pit Bull and love it. To me, it's much more convenient to lift the bike from the bottom of the forks for most repair/maint. items, but then you have the upper piece to put on the stand for fork removal. Mines up on the head lift right now with the forks off the bike and getting re-sprung.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I have the convertible stand from Pit Bull and love it. To me, it's much more convenient to lift the bike from the bottom of the forks for most repair/maint. items, but then you have the upper piece to put on the stand for fork removal. Mines up on the head lift right now with the forks off the bike and getting re-sprung.
The Pitbull convertible is what I'd buy if I needed a new stand. I don't often lift by the bottom, but doing so means you don't need to remove the horn and pull the steering stem plug. Actually, come to think of it, I only lift from the bottom when I'm washing the front wheel...but it's good to have and you'll own it for life!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
A little tip for anyone using the triple tree lift, always put a towel or some type of padding on your front fender before placing the lifting arm up under the triple.....just in case you let something slip. The towel/padding protects the front fender paint from a scratch.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little tip for anyone using the triple tree lift, always put a towel or some type of padding on your front fender before placing the lifting arm up under the triple.....just in case you let something slip. The towel/padding protects the front fender paint from a scratch.
Is this speaking from experience, ie did you bugger your fender once, or have you been proactive the whole time?

·
Registered
852 Posts
So I bought the Pitbull Hybrid head lift. Gave it a try last night. Unless I am doing something wrong the brake line seems to be a bit short. When off the ground and forks fully extended the brake line is super taught. So I put the bike back on the ground and unclamped the bracket that holds the line in place just below the headlight. Then I lifted the bike back up and it was perfect. No more taught brake line. What a PIA if I have to remember to do that every time.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else notice this? If so did you find a work around?

What harm would come if I didn't keep the brake line in that bracket anymore?

I fear forgetting to unclamp it each time. Especially as the line gets older and loses its flexibility

·
Registered
768 Posts
Been there %$#& -up that. In fact, the very first time I ever used a front lift like that, it was at the shop, in front of several other employees and on my own brand new bike.
"That'll buff out" was NOT how I wanted to start my new bike experience. LOL
+1 on a towel or other fender padding.
-eddie

Reactions: Speedbird

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Is this speaking from experience, ie did you bugger your fender once, or have you been proactive the whole time?
It was from actual experience! Fortunately, it was a track bike that had been painted with rattle can paint, so the small scratch was pretty much a non issue. It did teach me a lesson though and probably prevented a scratch one of my street bikes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got the mj Moto set of rear stand and front fork lift. The front lifts from under the steering stem using a 20mm pin. The only problem with it is that even on its max height setting it doesn't completely lift the front wheel off the ground. Easily fixed by placing 2 boards on either side of the wheel for extra height. Whole set for $110

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I use Trex Racing stands for the past 9 years on my Buell and now the FZ. The rear stand works perfectly, but need to get a new pin for the triple tree adapter and should work fine there as well. Paid $99 for the set and bought the adapter for $41 which I'm very happy with the entire set up and not breaking the bank buying big name brand garage equipment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I rubbed off some of my glossy finish on my brand new carbon fiber fender, so I second the use of a towel. Not too noticeable but of course I see it every time I look at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts