Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a front stand that I can used in order to change out my front tire. I haven't seen it but it lifts from the bottom of the front forks...so he says. Any thing I need to know up front to ensure it will work? Also my new rear tire is a Dunlop Roadsport 2, but I was thinking about ordering a Micheln for the front. Any suggestions or comments? The last set of Micheln's that I had for a prior bike I was able to spoon them on, but the Dunlop I had to take to a shop.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure that really makes a difference as long as they are both quality tires, similar in performance, and correct size. But yeah I'm leaning toward the Dunlop Roadsport 2, but Micheln's seem to go on easier.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I like to run the same brand and model tire too. On my Pitbull front stand the recommended pin that goes in into the front stem is longer and stepped. I belive this is to give the stand enough height to lift the front wheel off the ground. Your friends stand might work as is, or some extra height under it would make it workable. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think his uses the front stem, but rather lifts under the bottom of the shocks.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Likely, the stand has little "pins" on the top (nubs) that fit inside the hollow area at the bottom of the fork. On our Yamahas, one leg is longer than the other, so you'll have to turn the front wheel a few degrees to one side before you lift, but it works fine - as long as you're using a rear stand as well.

I like to break the torque on the front axle before I lift it, so it doesn't make the bike wiggle. Same when you re-torque. Drop it off the stand and then torque the axle...

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just ordered the Dunlop. Manual says to remove the front calipers for front wheel removal. Is that really necessary?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Make a friend with a No Mar or similar tire changer...so much easier. I like the front stands with a pin in the steering stem.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I've never pulled the front wheel off this particular bike. Why can't the rotors just slide out the calipers?

·
Registered
650 Posts
So I just ordered the Dunlop. Manual says to remove the front calipers for front wheel removal. Is that really necessary?
Yes, pull the calipers and hold them away from the wheel with bungies. And my previous, sorry RTFW on my remark on the front lift stand. And as Moto26 said, when using a front stand that lifts under the fork legs a rear stand is recommended, the rest what he says.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
The rotors will clear, but not the tire. Be careful with the stand. If it doesn’t have pins to capture the bottom of the forks, it will be very unstable. Dangerous for you and the bike. You might want to put some backup support under the engine to make sure you don’t accidentally drop it off the stand. Safety first.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Not sure that really makes a difference as long as they are both quality tires, similar in performance, and correct size. But yeah I'm leaning toward the Dunlop Roadsport 2, but Micheln's seem to go on easier.
Usually problems arise from different profiles and carcasse construction. But if you're aware of the different feel and ride below it's limits it should be OK.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah....I was watching some TV and it just hit me....the wheel and/or tire would probably hit the calipers during removal. It makes sense that they have to be pulled away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A friend of mine has a front stand that I can used in order to change out my front tire. I haven't seen it but it lifts from the bottom of the front forks...so he says. Any thing I need to know up front to ensure it will work? Also my new rear tire is a Dunlop Roadsport 2, but I was thinking about ordering a Micheln for the front. Any suggestions or comments? The last set of Micheln's that I had for a prior bike I was able to spoon them on, but the Dunlop I had to take to a shop.
That type stand must be used with a spooled rear stand. You have to lift the swingarm first, and then the forks. If you go to You Tube and search for motorcycle stands you'll find several videos showing how it should be done.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just to add to conversation, I use these types of front motorcycle stands. Feels very secure.
Only problem with the FZ09 I noticed, is the steering stem doesn't have a exposed hole under to insert the pin.
Not sure if it's just a cap you could remove, but is anyone else using these of theirs?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just to add to conversation, I use these types of front motorcycle stands. Feels very secure.
Only problem with the FZ09 I noticed, is the steering stem doesn't have a exposed hole under to insert the pin.
Not sure if it's just a cap you could remove, but is anyone else using these of theirs?
It's just a rubber cap. For a Pit Bull front stand, for example, it uses their #4 pin...

·
Registered
328 Posts
I found a sweet deal on these pitbull stands and the difference is night and day compared to harbor freight rear stand or using a car jack and a board under exhaust to lift the front. I've also used a pulley and hoisted the front off the ground from the ceiling. While your changing the front tire might as well check, grease, clean the pads and fluid level. Also great time for a horn relocation under the left scoop. The horn kinda gets in the way of the pin of the front stand. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts