Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rattle around headlight when bike hurt bumps and dont find anything wrong, i remove trims, put foam, tie wrap wires but noting change, it rattle like if i have rock that rattle on plastic, any solution?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
There was another thread about something similar-I can't remember the title of it, but maybe they found a solution to it for you. Best of luck tracking it down, there's nothing more annoying than a rattle you can't locate...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont find it, do you have the link?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The other thread was about a squeak, not a rattle (DreamFZ I believe).

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Thanks LD, I vaguely remember reading it, but couldn't find it.
JEAN-ROCH you might want to try looking inside the headlight nacelle itself, there could possibly be something loose or a piece of something rattling around inside of it...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
A metallic swink, followed by a loud galonk, and somebody yelling out DEAR GOD!

Sorry can't pass up a semi-relevant Seinfeld quote

·
Registered
612 Posts
Reactions: Da Braddah and beck

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is this nut, i tie wrap all i can, insulate all i can and the rattle is the same, i remove headlight and no rattle inside?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The flat panel speedometer display is held by a plastic piece, I don't know but there might be enough room between them for something small to get trapped and rattle.

Doug was making a joke about the possibility of the rider being crazy. Something I have to keep in mind...

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I find searching the internet (google, etc) with fz09 in the description is the fastest way to find something in this forum. All references to rattles ended up being cam chain tensioner issues. References to front end squeaks relate to front fender movement, front cables/brake lines and front suspension. I couldn't find any references to rattles up around the front end. Sounds like a new problem to troubleshoot.

Note: The cam tensioner failures are now showing up on FJ-09s as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a strange sound coming from my headlight area as well. I tracked it down to the plastic clamp that holds the cables together. It was resting and vibrating against the plastic shroud that covers all the clutch/brake/throttle cable/headlight wiring, and when hitting bumps it would make a loud plastic-y clank.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My FZ1 had a nasty vibration / buzz coming from the dash area. I hear they all have it. It took me at least 4 tries to solve it. I took the front end apart over and over. It was a combination of things but mostly a plastic-on-plastic connection that at certain RPM levels would resonate at the right frequency to create a nasty noise. I eventually figured it out with double-sided tape and thin layers of sticky foam. Try looking for signs of things rubbing or bumping each other, like little scratches or scuff marks. Good luck.

Reactions: edgyver and myntz

·
Registered
768 Posts
More than likely, it's something hard to find and yet easy to repair. Example:
I once limped a 1989 XL600V 5 hours home because of a top-end rattle I couldn't identify. It sounded like something in the front cylinder valve train had gone awry. I removed the fairing, pulled the valve inspection covers and found nothing out of place. With the fairing off, I rode around the block and discovered the noise was gone. So, I got back and put the plastics back only to have the sound immediately return on the next ride. It turned out to be the edge of the left side of the fairing touching the trumpet on a pair of air horns I'd installed! At a specific RPM, the vibration was just right to make the racket I was hearing. A quick snip of the trumpet bell with some diagonal cutters cured it once and for all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
do you have a key chain or any other keys attached to your bike key? Maybe worth checking or disregard if you don't... but I noticed a slight rattle/metallic noise around my headlight on bumpy roads. found it to be my key ring and house key attached to my bike key rattling around on the ignition switch/upper triple tree. some times it rattle other times it didn't. either way start with the easy stuff and rule them out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts