Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy yall,

Background: Last week I bought my first FZ-09. So I figured I would join this forum. I wanted an FZ-09 since they initially came out, and now my dream has come true. I also own a dual sport Kawasaki 250, so I am not new to riding (also used to ride motocross). Now this FZ was a steal, but only because it has 20k miles and needs a lot of love.

Problem: Some genius decided to go ahead and cut the front headlight off, instead of disconnecting the wires like the average person would. But the turn signal connectors are still there, so there's always that.

My question to the forum is this - what kind of connector do I need to purchase so that I can rig up my new headlight I have en route?

I also have a tank question regarding the key "ignition" for the gas cap. I need to replace the tank because the same genius that cut the headlight probably also spray painted the tank black. Looks bad. I need to replace the gas cap as well, but am looking to keep the key functionality. Is there any chance of me retaining that or am I just going to have to go aftermarket in this case?

Any help is much appreciated, and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
H4 connector is the original oem for the first gen '09s...what year model do you have? remove the gas cap and reinstall it onto the new tank so you retain the same key functionality for ignition, gas, seat release.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
H4 connector is the original oem for the first gen '09s...what year model do you have? remove the gas cap and reinstall it onto the new tank so you retain the same key functionality for ignition, gas, seat release.
It's a 2015 that was originally yellow. I'm planning to replace with everything painted as OEM 2016 black. I'm confident that can be done.

H4! Thank you. I assume I will need the female end in this scenario.

And as far as the tank cap goes, the original gas cap's finish is less than perfect, so I just want to keep the key part & replace the rest. Not sure if it was originally silver, but half of it is now worn silver and the rest is black. I can try and post a picture tomorrow. It's a small detail but I just want to get the bike looking decent again. And thank you again for the H4 help!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I haven't looked closely at mine but I would think you could transfer the innards from one to the other. If you do, be damned careful not to mix anything up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts