Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I don't really know a whole lot about motorcycle maintenance/mechanics and disassembly. Has anyone here removed the front fender on their FZ? If so could you please describe to me what it entails? And if a novice like me would be able to do it and successfully put it back together? The reason I am asking is I would like to plasti dip my gold forks and it looks like I would need the front fender removed to ensure a consistent application of material. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have not removed the fender.

BUT.

After looking over my bike it appears that you will only need to remove the four 4mm allen head bolts and the plastic clips that retain the brake lines.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Also, if you ever want a little more detail about assembly/disassembly and are without a service manual, sometimes it can be helpful to find a parts microfiche online and see what the parts diagram shows.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The front fender should be fairly easy to remove even for most novice of wrench turners. Remove the 4 bolts, remove the brake line from the clips. Slide the brake line back, lift the fender up a few inches and slide it forward.. The headlight will be a little more involved but still something you shouldn't fear. Just a couple semi hidden bolts and wire connections.
This also sounds like a great project to get into turning wrenches on your own bike, as nothing you will be working on could detrimentally harm safety or performance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I thought all that would be needed was to remove those 4 bolts but I wanted to consult someone more knowledgeable than I. Can't wait to start this project now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts