Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going under 30ish mph on bumpy road, I have a squeak that is driving me bonkers. It's been doing it since day 1 (just rolled 1k miles today) and I was hoping it would go away on its own. I've tried to pin-point the problem while riding, but no luck.

Anybody have this or have any ideas what it could be? It sounds like a dog toy in my front end :mad:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For seals? Probably not.

Rubbing: brake hoses, fender, hose guides, something between the bottom headlight mount and the speedo?

Yes, hard to find. Take it apart and put it back together?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ugh... "random" squeaks can be soooo annoying... both to listen to and to pinpoint.

Can you duplicate it in the garage by bouncing the front end? ...perhaps put the bike on a rear stand and have someone bounce the crap out of the front end with varying force, see if you can catch it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh... "random" squeaks can be soooo annoying... both to listen to and to pinpoint.

Can you duplicate it in the garage by bouncing the front end? ...perhaps put the bike on a rear stand and have someone bounce the crap out of the front end with varying force, see if you can catch it.
I've tried this, no luck :(
I may end up just taking things off and putting them back on and see if that fixes it. So annoying!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Probably one of wires or hoses rubbing against something, i had same issue and fixed it with zip tie, mine was when i turned bars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ride in dirt roads all the time and I know exactly how you feel like with the squeaking sound driving you nuts.
I believe it is the stock setup for the front flashers. I was thinking about buying a different kind to try and eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Might want to check your wheel bearings.
Sometimes those dealership techs just forget to grease them or they just dont put in enough.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I think the bearings are greased at the factory, doesn't mean they can't be a problem though.

In the original post it says the squeak is bump related.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Here are some troubleshooting ideas:
1) note the speeds at which you can hear the squeak and the speeds you cannot hear the squeaks
2) squeaks better or worse when on the brakes lightly, what about harder on the brakes
3) squeaks better or worse over bumps? different speeds over bumps?
4) squeaks isolated to one gear or in any gear?
5) throttle stead, rolling off, rolling on?
6) clutch in or out affect the squeaks?

Squeaks in the front end are usually:
1) brakes
2) loose fender
3) cable/hose rubbing against something

Stock wheel bearings are usually sealed bearings but I have not confirmed this for the FZ09. Sealed bearings rarely squeak

·
Registered
643 Posts
Clutch cable.
It is tight where it runs thru the speedo area - pump your forks up and down to hear it, engine off.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the wheel bearings are sealed. it's possible they could be inadequately greased, but it's easy enough to isolate that - just put the bike on stands and spin the wheels to see if they make noise.

i bet the noise has to do with cables like richbinaz mentions. my bike does the same thing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still having this issue. I'm taking it in to the dealership on Monday. I'm pretty sure its the front forks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just talked to the shop: They noticed the sound and are recommending the front forks be rebuilt! They submitted a claim to Yamaha for warranty work and are waiting to hear back. I swear to GOD if they deny the claim I will be calling Yamaha to raise HELL!

My bike only has 1700 miles on it and the front end needs a rebuild already. Not impressed.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They really didn't say. They just said the noise is coming from the forks, its not normal, so they want to rebuild or replace them. Just waiting to hear back from Yamaha.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Maybe a seal or bushing I guess. But I'd also wonder about something simple like the forks not being parallel from the way the front wheel was put on, just takes a few minutes to take care of that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts