Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
low sided the bike saturday night right as i was turning hit a patch of debris front tire cocked to the left i panicked and hit the brakes rear end locked up and i drifted into a curb and over a sidewalk and the bike ended up laying down on its right side on the grass

rear swingarm spool threads knocked clear off
rear brake lever bent a full 180 degrees before it broke off clutch (mystery) bent up and forward a little bit

clutch cover and cp3 cover ****ed

radiator bent

front tire has a gash in the sidewall and rim is bent

side mirror scratched

head light cover scratched

turn signal scratched

tank not bent be emblem is skuffed as well has emblem
phony air scoop skuffed

front engine mount bolt scratched

frame untouched

rear rim skuffed a bit but not dented

no damage to the whole left side

seat area and the rear end in general besides the spool threads untouched

cranks all light work shifts through all gears no oil lost

but heres the big issue that i dont feel comfortable messing with is the front end seems out of alignment but not by much, the black part that holds the handle bar seems crooked so im gonna let my dealer inspect that area

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not a scratch was wear gear but i do have some minor bruises

image.jpg

my front end definitely needs attention that the first thing im doing to get this back on the road

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK and that you were wearing gear. It only takes me 10 min to get to work but I always put all my gear. A co-worker laughed when he saw me and said "You're pretty serious aren't you". I said "Yeah" and kept walking.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My co-worker was giving me crap today as well, saying "isn't it faster to just take a car with as long as it takes to put all of that stuff on"?

Glad you are ok, the bike only takes money to fix.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If nothing seems actually bent the front end may just need to be aligned. Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They're the same idiots that are too scare to throw a leg over a motorcycle.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nothing seems bent just handle bar and lower yokes need to be aligned

does the front rim need replacing?

image.jpg

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
image.jpg

im in need of and attitude adjustment

120 hp and 420lb is nothing to joke about and i should have respected this machine fore what it is capable of

and did it show me, scared straight bet your a$$

time away from the bike and money out of my pocket will teach me these bikes are no toy

·
Registered
246 Posts
If the engine cases aren't bent you can put a cover over them and nobody will ever know the difference. I have the GB Racing 4 piece set of engine covers on my bike and they will cover those scratches on the engine. It may be cheaper to replace the parts on your bike than buy the GB Racing covers. As noted above, check out the repair on Niner's wheels...they look great.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The clutch case cover isn't that expensive - the problem is there is a bushing insert that doesn't come with it and isn't on the parts fiche. You'll have to destroy the old one to get it out and reuse it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Dang sorry to hear. Glad you were not injured. The bike will be back to new in no time. Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. Very good to hear you were not hurt! ATGATT wins again!

You can approach the crash damage a lot of different ways. If you are anal that your bike needs to be cosmetically perfect, then call your insurance company and replace every part that is nicked, scratched or bent.

If you can handle minor scratches, get creative with paint and/or colored permanent markers and touch up the nicks and scratches, cover with engine covers like the GB covers and replace the bent things like your handlebars. If you want a set of stock handlebars, let me know mine are gathering dust on a shelf.

As to your misaligned front end, probably nothing to worry about. Loosen up the triples and the axle and twist back straight. Then tighten back up and test it to make sure the forks compress and rebound smoothly.

As to your front wheel, it will probably be OK but it might not be. The only way to tell is to put it on a truing/manual balancing stand and check the runout left to right. If it were my bike, I would probably replace the front wheel just to be sure but that is not cheap.

Finally, have you thought through all the causes of the crash and identified things you could have done better to avoid the crash? You mentioned braking improperly and that is good to ID that, no go practice to build your skill so you don't make the same mistake again.

Think about other things that might have contributed to the crash: where you were looking, the line you chose to follow before you got into trouble, speed, braking and turning technique and smoothness.

Crashing sux but not learning from it just makes it suck more!

If there is anything I can do to help out, do not hesitate to ask. Hope you are back up on 2 wheels soon!

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As to your misaligned front end, probably nothing to worry about. Loosen up the triples and the axle and twist back straight. Then tighten back up and test it to make sure the forks compress and rebound smoothly.
Here's how to properly align the forks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts