Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How much front brake drag does your 09 have?
Mine has been like this since day one **noticed it since first week actually**
(not my video, and mine doesn't make noise).

·
Registered
226 Posts
No problems here, the one in that video looks a little tight but I've seen worse. Mostly from improperly installed front wheels.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There will be a little drag, but the wheel in the video seems to be abnormal.

When you say "day one" did you literally perform this check on day one?

Yes, an improperly installed front wheel can cause this issue, so check out this video if you want to reinstall the wheel yourself to see if it helps.

Do you have aftermarket levers? ...or more specifically, do you have the cheapie Chinese knock-off levers?

·
Registered
161 Posts
M'y bike des the same thing sincèrement Day one... I tought it was Kinda weirdo because if à bicycle des the same thing then There is à big problème...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok not day one but after having it a week I put it up to clean wheels and whatnot I noticed it seemed tight. No weird noises or anything like that vid, just seems more snug than other bikes I've owned.
So yeah since *week* one lol

No aftermarket levers. Tubes aren't pinching or anything, I made sure to shake them out when I was putting it back together... checked it twice.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Too much brake fluid in the front master cylinder can cause this also. When the brakes heat up and the fluid expands slightly, if the master is too full, there is no where for it to "expand too" and the brakes will begin to drag. I'm not saying this is the problem, but it is one of the things I would check. Overfill of fluids is something that happens occasionally.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nope no change in pads, just seems to drag more than I am used to. > 8k mi on the bike now and the pads appear to be wearing evenly and at what appears to be a normal rate. On one of our fz09 get together rides one of these weekends I'll check it against another one.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Have my bike up on stands to clean the wheels, so I shot a video of my front wheel spinning so you can compare it with yours.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I really appreciate that. I put mine up yesterday and it seems to be better than it used to be, which makes me think the master is overfilled since the pads have worn down a bit and let the fluid level drop some. Sight glass show that it's full, too. I'll bleed some fluid out and see how it goes.

Mine definitely drags more than yours now, and it used to drag a lot more 2000 miles ago.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mine is like Lucky Devil's. The one in the first video (and probably yours) have something that needs to be addressed. Put your bike on a front stand, remove the brake calipers, spin it and make sure the calipers are the culprit. It could be a pinched axle or bad bearings - and those can easily toss you off the bike without warning...

·
Registered
877 Posts
If allen pinch bolt is tightened before axle is fully seated, there can be a side load on the wheel bearings.

Bring it by the ranch if you're on Palomar, tomorrow.

Got the FZ 07 and Zero electric bike up here, today.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If allen pinch bolt is tightened before axle is fully seated, there can be a side load on the wheel bearings.

Bring it by the ranch if you're on Palomar, tomorrow.

Got the FZ 07 and Zero electric bike up here, today.
Thanks, Chris. Had to meet up with my aunt today though. My next opportunity to come down there will be in a couple weeks. I always like to see new toys! :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
She's up on the stand now. Gonna bleed out a little sauce and see what gives. *edit* No change.

took the calipers off and the wheel bearings spin perfectly. loosened the caliper bolts so they can float around some in case of misalignment- same results. Drags more than Lucky Devil's. Like I said it was tighter a few thousand miles ago...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
So... back to the dealer? Or are you going to be polishing pistons? I've had to do it on old bikes, but never new ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts