Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XSR900
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is the mt/fz format more comfortable for you. Maybe you've got a tracer?
For me, the only things I don't like about the XSR900 was that the bottom side parts of the tank is kind of sharp and digs into my inner thighs. The FZ09 was much more comfortable. The other thing I've I didn't like is that the XSR900 is taller than the FZ09 so at stops so I have of stretch my left leg more.

I did fix these two issues though by adding TechSpec tank grips which now I don't notices the sharp edges of the tank and I shaved down the seat so now I have more of a bend in my left leg when I am at stops.

·
Registered
2020 XSR900
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Welcome to the better bike club - everyone knows all MT/FZ's aspire to one day be as cool as an XSR.
I did grow out of the alien/transformer look for motorcycles and now really into the retro/cafe look which while it does look like an older bike, it looks timeless.

Also, while I like the updates on the 3rd gen MT-09, wow it is ugly. 🤮

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,506 Posts
This is just an assumption from my part, but the tank design while prettier looks like it offers less protection from wind. Both are naked but I'll take whatever I can get.
Realize my comment might have come across 'harsh' - just looking for what makes one bike more comfortable than the other for some people - some future member may be considering the two and 'taller' rules out the xsr or something. With the two bikes so similar its hard to imagine major differences in comfort. I think I read that the FZ/MT's actually have taller handlebars for a more 'upright' position while the XSR bars are lower giving a little more forward lean.

FWIW I don't notice any real wind on my legs while riding, but then I almost always wear armored over-pants when I ride too so....guess I can't comment. Anyone realy looking for 'wind protection' is in the wrong class of bikes if they're considering either the MT or the XSR. The FJ/Tracer is the tripple powered 'touring' bike.

I do have to admit that I found the stock XSR seat to be a total pain in the ass (litteraly). Can't compare to the MT seat because I've never actualy ridden an MT09.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
258 Posts
Yep it's all pretty much just personal preference. I know what I like from the touring miles I've done and seek to achieve that in a different platform. Never cared much for full on touring bikes, partly because of the inflated cost, partly aesthetic, and a lot of personal bias probably? Anyways I'm chuffed with my MT09 regardless ;)

·
Registered
2020 XSR900
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a great color scheme on your XSR. I don't believe that combo was available in Oz.
Thanks! I actually had the red center tank piece and front mudguard vinyl wrapped in black gloss. I wasn't a big fan of the multiple colors going on and wanted the scheme to be a bit more subtle like how my FZ09 looked. I am going to eventually get those pieces properly painted but it is working out for now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks! I actually had the red center tank piece and front mudguard vinyl wrapped in black gloss. I wasn't a big fan of the multiple colors going on and wanted the scheme to be a bit more subtle like how my FZ09 looked. I am going to eventually get those pieces properly painted but it is working out for now.
I have planned to do the same colour swap with a wrap, just havn't got around to it. But seeing it I now know its def on the agenda!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The black tank center piece and fender is definitely a tasteful touch. I had been thinking of doing the same, but I do also like the little pop of red… wrap is great bc if you ever change your mind you can just take it off too.

I’ve been sitting on a bunch of different bikes recently, I have 2 but the whole n+1 always has me thinking 😂 anyway, the FZ/MT’s to me feel more similar to something like a KTM 890 Duke, where they’ve worked your body into that tank a bit more compared to the XSR, so I can see where people will notice that being a bit different. I love my XSR though, it’s a perfect street bike for me both aesthetically and the low down power is fun while the lack of aero keeps me from getting into too much trouble.

·
Registered
2020 XSR900
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have planned to do the same colour swap with a wrap, just havn't got around to it. But seeing it I now know its def on the agenda!
My friend who does motorcycle wraps said that this bike's front mudguard has been the hardest he has ever worked with. There were too much curves going on and he said if he ever gets and XSR job again, he will probably charge extra. Hopefully your wrapper will not charge too much though!

Also one thing to note if you do vinyl wrap the front mudguard, the back end of the mudguard is near the exhaust headers so let your wrapper know to cut off the wrap more into the inside fender because it will lift and if the wrap is cut to close to the edge, it might completely peel off and will need to be redone.

·
Registered
2020 XSR900
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The black tank center piece and fender is definitely a tasteful touch. I had been thinking of doing the same, but I do also like the little pop of red… wrap is great bc if you ever change your mind you can just take it off too.

I’ve been sitting on a bunch of different bikes recently, I have 2 but the whole n+1 always has me thinking 😂 anyway, the FZ/MT’s to me feel more similar to something like a KTM 890 Duke, where they’ve worked your body into that tank a bit more compared to the XSR, so I can see where people will notice that being a bit different. I love my XSR though, it’s a perfect street bike for me both aesthetically and the low down power is fun while the lack of aero keeps me from getting into too much trouble.
Definitely for a temp solution, vinyl wrapping is great! I do want to keep those parts black though so I will eventually paint them.

I do agree that the FZ09 I owned felt like my body was more shaped to the bike, especially the tank than what I feel with the XSR900. If anything though, I probably won't buy a MT09 again due to the looks and will just stick with the XSR900s down the road.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah the front fender has a lot going on, multiple pieces etc. I was thinking about either getting an aftermarket one in black or trying a new gloss plasti dip that I bought. I’ll probably try the plasti dip first and see how it comes out as I already have it and I haven’t found an aftermarket setup that I like.

My friend who does motorcycle wraps said that this bike's front mudguard has been the hardest he has ever worked with. There were too much curves going on and he said if he ever gets and XSR job again, he will probably charge extra. Hopefully your wrapper will not charge too much though!

Also one thing to note if you do vinyl wrap the front mudguard, the back end of the mudguard is near the exhaust headers so let your wrapper know to cut off the wrap more into the inside fender because it will lift and if the wrap is cut to close to the edge, it might completely peel off and will need to be redone.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Definitely for a temp solution, vinyl wrapping is great! I do want to keep those parts black though so I will eventually paint them.

I do agree that the FZ09 I owned felt like my body was more shaped to the bike, especially the tank than what I feel with the XSR900. If anything though, I probably won't buy a MT09 again due to the looks and will just stick with the XSR900s down the road.
For the current models, I'm way more in to the looks of the XSR vs the MT. I feel like I want to get even further up on the tank with my Gen 1 FZ 09 and it seems the XSR push you away back. I've never ridden one, though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’ve not ridden an MT/FZ to compare, but I can say the XSR, at least with the stock seat, keeps me back at the ridge where the passenger seat starts. Even without tank grips, which is why I never felt the need for them on this bike.

For the current models, I'm way more in to the looks of the XSR vs the MT. I feel like I want to get even further up on the tank with my Gen 1 FZ 09 and it seems the XSR push you away back. I've never ridden one, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts