Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copied and expanded upon from the build thread...

In between playing around on the suspension, I set about fixing something that has irked me from day 1: that blasted horn. To my eyes, the placement is terrible and the gaudy silver ring doesn't do the front of the bike any favors. I was originally planning to design/fabricate/sell a simple kit to relocate this horn, and then I figured out an easier solution...

Original horn location:

So where does it go? Well, remove the LH scoop cover and you'll find a convenient void where something belongs:

The factory horn bracket required NO modifications. Remove the horn and flat plate/bracket held to lower triple tree with one bolt (10 mm head). Remove bolt in scoop (also 10 mm head), install horn, tighten bolt.

Make yourself a ~19" jumper cable to extend the horn connections. Red ends are female, blue are male:

Route from scoop, through frame, back out of access alongside throttle cables. Run through both wire loops (you'll see them when you're looking) and connect behind headlight:

Remove original bracket which secured the horn and it's flat plate bracket to the lower triple. Add 2 10mm washers (SS so as not to rust) under the headlight bracket to make up the original thickness, reinstall bolt and voila!

So if you don't have the wire and connectors laying around, you'll be in ~$5 to your local hardware store and 20 minutes of your time. Really cleans up the front of the bike. Sometimes what you can't see is more important than what you can...

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doesn't that limit it's effectiveness significantly?
If there is any limitation, it isn't perceptible. I expected a reduction, but was pleasantly surprised. If you want to be heard you're better off with something like a Stebel than the stock horn. No one around here seems to acknowledge horns, anyway...

·
Registered
734 Posts
If there is any limitation, it isn't perceptible. I expected a reduction, but was pleasantly surprised. If you want to be heard you're better off with something like a Stebel than the stock horn. No one around here seems to acknowledge horns, anyway...
I have the air horn off my 6r its scary loud

·
Registered
244 Posts
Clean lines... thanks for this great easy How-To.
BTW I believe you left out to heatshrink your custom jumper cable :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sounds like the left scoop is a good place to hide my garage door opener (with a remote momentary switch) - but I need a place for a stebel. Ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Copied and expanded upon from the build thread...

In between playing around on the suspension, I set about fixing something that has irked me from day 1: that blasted horn. To my eyes, the placement is terrible and the gaudy silver ring doesn't do the front of the bike any favors. I was originally planning to design/fabricate/sell a simple kit to relocate this horn, and then I figured out an easier solution...

Thanks for the mod - great place to put an horn - never had much use for one on a scoot and no need to see it. I did manage to re-route the wiring and did not need to extend it, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's amazing just how much better it looks with the horn moved.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Indeed it does...it's almost like Yamaha did this on purpose. Too easy!
I wonder if it was the original design, but some law or regulation prevented Yamaha from leaving it there...might be a US thing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought narrower "snail"-type of horn (PIAA 81544) hoping that I could fit it under the side cover, pointing forward. Unfortunately it was still too wide- at least without cutting inner plastic. I ended up mounting it using the stock horn bolt/location, but angled so the horn sits flat, just under the steering stem. Pretty inconspicuous, and the stock wires will fit if you detach them from the brake line clip and route them behind the lower triple. Where I couldn't hear the stock horn at freeway speeds (I wear foam ear plugs), this new horn is loud and clear. I'm happy with it now. IMG_20140103_184844_893.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Worked on this and I ran into a problem. Located and placed everything fine but when I was connecting the wires to the horn it went off a few times but now does not work and neither does my front signals? Looked at all the fuses under the seat and all looks good. Back signals work just fine. Any ideas o what might have happened and a fix? Bike starts and runs no problem.

Thanks for your help!

Gavin

1 - 20 of 59 Posts