Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate everyone bearing with me with this stuff since I am so out of my element. With my past bikes, you put on highway bars and you are good to go. Sport bikes are new territory. I know that Stoltec has the Woodcraft sliders, but I saw a kit that had more things that I have never heard of from the company T-Rex racing. From what I have read, the Woodcraft seems the way to go but they don't have the other things that are advertised.
The T-Rex thing has front and rear axl sliders. The Woodcraft ones appear to be from the front from the picture. Are people only putting these on the front?!? The T-Rex kit also has an engine case cover and something else I don't recognize. Here's the link:

2014 On TRex Yamaha FZ09 FZ 09 FZ9 Frame Front

I saw the T-rex thing on the "what have you done to your bike" thread. Once again, I know nothing about this stuff for sport bikes, so excuse the ignorance. When doing a search for T-Rex, someone said that it didn't protect their bike at all.

Anyway, what are you guys putting on your bike? What are the best options? What would best protect the bike? I'm looking to order something, I just don't know what to get. I also don't want to have to modify the bike for this stuff if possible. Thanks!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just picked up the full set from OES also! They ship and arrive very quickly and I like the basic look and trustworthy cred I've received from several sources. I still want some sort of engine guard down low but I'll be much happier as soon as I get around to installing the OES package.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Jen, Woodcraft is developing the case covers etc, they should be available before the riding season really gets going.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jen, Woodcraft is developing the case covers etc, they should be available before the riding season really gets going.

:) Depends where you live. Was 70-80 here in South TX the past two weeks and I got 850 miles on the new bike. This week had crappy weather forecasted and it was 29 this morning so I'm glad the ECU is in transit to Stoltec right now.

Per frame sliders, I've looked/read a bunch but haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase yet. My question on the OES sliders is ... Is that OES company logo a removable sticker or not? Hard to tell from the pics but I'd prefer to have an all black appearance.

Hate to wait on sliders just because you never know - sort of like deciding if you need to wear your (car) seat belt today. About 8 years ago I did a long ride, was cold/tired and not thinking I guess because I stopped at a rest stop, got off the bike and forgot to put the kickstand down. Oops.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just installed the kit from T-Rex. I really like them. Easy install. Quality is good. The matched Blurple painted logo is a nice touch. You will not be disappointed.

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
TRex here. I've owned them all, I prefer the multiple mounting points with the TRex sliders. The others look like plasitc highway pegs protruding from the bike.

I don't do highway pegs

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just checked my postal tracking and my T-Rex kit is almost here! I'm also not a fan of the peg style sliders.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Jen, remember the first things to touch down on this bike are the side cases on either side. T-Rex's initially released side cases that did not have enough material. They made the case protectors thicker and solved the problem. The frame slider for T-Rex is bolted to a plate that mounts between the two motor mounts. I like that approach because the plate distributes the forces to both motor mounts. There are now more manufactures that weren't available when I bought the T-Rex kit. Some are much more expensive. Some don't have case protector available. Woodcraft's design allows the replacement of the puck so you don't have to buy a whole new frame slider after a mishap. You can mix manufactures. Example, buy Woodcraft frame sliders and T-Rex side protectors. R&G makes both types of frame slides and they have case protectors the completely cover the side cases. Their kit is more expensive then most. The important things is to get the slides on as soon as possible. The amount of damage from a minor mishap can add up to a lot of money.

Reactions: Jen

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
In the past, I would buy stainless steel case cover plates from DRC for some of my bikes. These plates were attached by using high temp silicone over the cases. The silicone also worked as a nice buffer if you took a spill, provided nice shock absorption between the plate and the case cover. I wonder if that would work on the Fz-09? If somebody made em.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just installed the kit from T-Rex. I really like them. Easy install. Quality is good. The matched Blurple painted logo is a nice touch. You will not be disappointed.
Pics or it didnt happen! Actually, Im on the fence about the trex ones. I really like them but the main slider looks really big and bulky, kind of ugly.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The side case covers on the bike only cost $70 from Yamaha. For what you pay for protectors, you could buy new side cases from Yamaha.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The side case covers on the bike only cost $70 from Yamaha. For what you pay for protectors, you could buy new side cases from Yamaha.
Yeah if you only grinded the cases, all good. It is what is underneath those thin cases were the real problems can occur.
The Stoltec woodcraft case protectors are almost ready.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Jen,
Frame sliders are to protect your bike in relatively slow speed tip overs, nothing is going to protect your bike from a high speed summersault crash. But I had a pair of frame sliders on my FZ6 when I did a bone headed moved and gassed the bike when it was leaned over, the bike shot out from under me and slid down the highway (about 40 mph), the only damage to the bike was some scratches on the bar end and a little scuffing on the turn signals, the frame sliders saved my gas tank for sure and possibly more damage. of course the frame slider was shot.
I did buy a full set of T-rex frame sliders for my fz1. (which i took off when i sold) forks, swing arm and frame, and I was able to install them on my fz09 with only minor mods.
the case sliders are to protect the engine cases, they do seem pretty vulnerable to crash damage.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah if you only grinded the cases, all good. It is what is underneath those thin cases were the real problems can occur.
The Stoltec woodcraft case protectors are almost ready.
If you grind through the cases and your oil leaks out you can't ride home either. Good point however. I was shocked at how cheap the case covers are.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Orangeblaze. Youre right. The frame slider is kind of ugly, but I think it looks better then the standard peg ones and Im going for protection here more then looks. Just going to bite the bullet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts