Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok maybe someone can explain why there are four models listed on Yamaha's web-site. They are listed in the OEM parts by model section. STEP 1: select - motorcycle. STEP 2: select - 2014. STEP 3: select - and there is the FZ09 - FZ09ER - 2014, FZ09 - FZ09EGY - 2014, FZ09 - FZ09ECR - 2014, FZ09 - FZ09ECGY - 2014. My Yamaha Prompt - Parts Catalog

For those who have a FZ-09: what model do you have? I understand there are the 3 colors coming to America (Graphite, Red & Orange) but why are there 4 models listed and what are the differences?

Edit: Maybe the "R" and "G" in the model # states 'Red' and 'Graphite' but then there would be two separate models for both colors. Then what would be the differences between EGY and ECGY & ER and ECR ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
There is two for the CA models, since they have a different emissions setup (one for each color). Then there are two for the non CA models (one for each color)

If you check the diagrams for the painted parts, they have Yamaha Part numbers for painted parts. They do this for all their motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
california bikes are required to have an evaporative emissions system that redirects fuel vapors from the gas tank through a filter and into the throttle bodies for combustion. 49-state bikes have gas tanks that vent into the atmosphere.

so versus 49-state bikes, ca bikes have different fuel tanks, throttle bodies, and have an additional canister (the filter) under the tank. that's pretty much it.

in the past it wasn't unusual for ca bikes to have lower performance due to differences in cam and ignition timing but it's less common these days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just wondering... Are the fz09 50 state bikes. Or CA ones are different emission then 49 state bikes. I believe somewhere on frame might have info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have a ECGY, Graphite in California

·
Registered
586 Posts
I did not find an evap canister on my AZ bike, or a label on the bike showing the exact model.

The bandit I had before did have an evap canister. I think they shipped the CA version to all the states.
I kind of like the canister. I stops the garage smelling bad and stinging your eyes in the summer here. (Phoenix)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just wondering... Are the fz09 50 state bikes. Or CA ones are different emission then 49 state bikes. I believe somewhere on frame might have info.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
did you ever get an answer for this?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The 09 in CA has the extra emission gear... and as far as we have determined:
...JARN33Y3, JYARN33Y8 and JYARN33Y6 are CA bikes. Looks like the 8th digit is the determinant: E is US Non-CA, and Y is US California.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Color code and "California" emissions coded. The "R" is red and the "GY' is gray; the "C" is for California emissions. You can ignore the "E" as being the body style designator as Europe as different MT-09 models altogether.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Mine is a red Oregon bike. It's a RFC. That's red with the flux capacitor option.

1.21 jig a watts.

Faster than a speeding Prius...more powerful than a locomotive.

Look up in the sky...It's a bike, it's a jet plane...its super bike!

Guess I drank too much eggnog during Christmas.:cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts