Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I found this video of the FZ-09 vs R6 while searching for different exhaust systems for the FZ. I'm not that into racing and which bike is faster because I think rider ability plays the biggest factor when normal guys starting racing each other. A true test in my opinion would be to have one racer post his best 15 lap time on different bikes on the same track. But I regress, I watched this.

Clearly wheeling off the line equals less forward torque and therefore less distance covered per unit of time. So every time the FZ wheelies he is behind off the line. But in some of the races, I'm not sure if the FZ jumped the light or was perfectly timed (pop up notes not in English). Regardless, the acceleration is apparently awesome.

At the end of the video the two best 1/4 mile times are posted in a pop up:

FZ-09 = 11.149 sec @ 121.18 mph
R6 = 11.180 sec @ 124.69 mph

So this tells me that (given the skill levels of the riders-unknown) the FZ-09 gets to its (lower) top speed faster (in less time), but how do you explain this to others in simple terms because I would like to better understand it.

Here is the video

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like you said there is a lot of personal skill that goes into that but at the same time it's always nice to be on the winning side :cool:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Trap speed is indicative of how well a vehicle accelerates once moving. Trap time is indicative of how well it was launched from a stop.

Reactions: stunva

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just watched that video yesterday. Made me smile! :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Man, I had to check MY pants after that second run when the front end came up in 1st and 2nd. That's got to be a little scary when you're pinning it..

·
Registered
57 Posts
The person on the R6 has no idea how to "Launch" effectively. Twisting the throttle like that will make you lose every time. The R6 rider has poor R/T as well. No wonder why the R6 lost so much.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Right, so.. I bought this bike after I moved to CO, and have never ridden at sea level (only at 5000ft + elevation)

Everyone says it wheelies like crazy, but I've never seen it (although this video, which brings up my point, shows clearly how well it wheelies...) Even when I had the bike bone stock I could maybe only get it up a couple inches without the clutch. (Now have clubman bars and dropped the forks a bit and it won't power wheelie at all...) Don't get me wrong, it clutches up in 1st no problem, 2nd I can clutch it up if I really try... Should I just attribute it to the power loss from elevation? According to the following calculator, our bike (105hp at the wheel stock) 87.9hp at 5430 ft elevation (boulder CO) which would make sense that it doesn't power wheelie like at all... That's about what my fz6 had and that didn't really power wheelie either.

I know an exhaust can give me about 7 more hp, is there anything else I could do to get it up to that 105 number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Right, so.. I bought this bike after I moved to CO, and have never ridden at sea level (only at 5000ft + elevation)

Everyone says it wheelies like crazy, but I've never seen it (although this video, which brings up my point, shows clearly how well it wheelies...) Even when I had the bike bone stock I could maybe only get it up a couple inches without the clutch. (Now have clubman bars and dropped the forks a bit and it won't power wheelie at all...) Don't get me wrong, it clutches up in 1st no problem, 2nd I can clutch it up if I really try... Should I just attribute it to the power loss from elevation? According to the following calculator, our bike (105hp at the wheel stock) 87.9hp at 5430 ft elevation (boulder CO) which would make sense that it doesn't power wheelie like at all... That's about what my fz6 had and that didn't really power wheelie either.

I know an exhaust can give me about 7 more hp, is there anything else I could do to get it up to that 105 number?

Thanks!
Power loss is 4% per 1K feet in elevation change.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think it was Cycle World who clocked their stock FZ-09 at 10.66.

So a properly fueled and suspended FZ-09 should do much better.

·
Registered
962 Posts
A lower top speed with a lower trap time usually means he got a better start. That's the torque advantage. The R6 rider gets the jump on the FZ the first couple of times - but not for long. But anyone who bought an R6 to drag race bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok folks... Trap speed and time have NOTHING to do with who got the better start. The trap time only starts once the bike leaves the line. A poor Reaction time doesn't affect the trap time.
Trap time = from the time the start beam is cleared until the finish beam is broken.

Trap speed = distance between 1st and 2nd trap beams/time between when the 1st and 2nd beams are triggered.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would love to put the hurtin' on an R6. I live in Colorado and have no trouble with wheelies. I can't stop doin' 'em. Hopefully I don't go blind or grow hair on my palms.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Now let's imagine for a moment a new R6 with the FZ triple in it. Since the 600 class supersports are gathering dust on showroom floors, and it's been 6 long years since Yamaha has done anything but basically facelift the R6, THAT would be a sweet bike. Leave the big bore inline 4 for the R1, and once again reinvent the class...

·
Registered
877 Posts
The person on the R6 has no idea how to "Launch" effectively.

Twisting the throttle like that will make you lose every time.

The R6 rider has poor R/T as well.

No wonder why the R6 lost so much.
Their Kung Fu was weak.

Hold throttle at high rpm / sweet spot, slide clutch to keep rpm up at launch,

and to control wheelie or bogging...... roll on throttle to match.

The only time you blip the throttle like they were, would be on a turbo bike

that has turbo lag issues and has to be be spooled up to launch.

That was more of a problem in the old days, but not so much, now.

Reactions: forthaney
1 - 20 of 21 Posts