Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How likely it is for forks to twist inside the triple tee, on my last ride I found my handle bar to be OFF maybe a few degrees while going straight.

Seems now like one leg is out of the top section maybe 1/16 more than the other.
Did check the bolts and they seems tight, and did nothing major except a few wheelies (none of them hit hard on the way down).
The only thing maybe I hit enough hard was a train crossing rail which nearly bottomed the rear shock, but it didn't felt really bad at the handle bar.

I'm waiting for my front stand to fix this and I plan dropping the front a little.
Any trick on how to align effectively the forks and the handlebar?

Thanks all

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm subscribed as well!
I looped a wheelie and the bike slid into a pile of dirt and now the front wheel is not straight lol I've ttried everythjng I could think of to align it.. and nothing works. So hopefully there is somethin I havnt tried or else one fork is bent :/

·
Registered
657 Posts
Loosen the upper and lower clamp bolts. Standing in front of the bike, hold the wheel between your legs, turn the bars in the direction you want to move them. Tighten the uppers and lowers back up.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
There is a video for everything.

Note: Anyone who drops their bike in an accident or just falls over with it should do this to make sure their front wheel is aligned correctly.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Loosen the upper and lower clamp bolts. Standing in front of the bike, hold the wheel between your legs, turn the bars in the direction you want to move them. Tighten the uppers and lowers back up.
The problem with this is if you loosen both upper and lower, your forks could slide through dropping the bike.. so it will not work.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

Also it is common for the rear axle to be out of parallel with the swingarm pivot bolt and alignment with the front wheel, the marks for adjusting it or often off, so look into methods for checking that too. I forget if the only thing wrong is the rear axle it can make you ride with the bars a bit to the side, seems like the axle would have to be off a huge amount for it t be noticeable at the bars. If your forks are twisted and you use something like the string method to check the rear wheel you won't get the correct results.

Edit: Oh snap, my slow typing let TunnelVision get the lead. ;)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I did this yesterday, so I had the link handy.

Note: Be sure to loosen to main top yolk center nut first, this will allow for the lower clamp to move independently of the upper clamp. To do this on the FZ-09 you have to remove the handlebars and use a 27mm socket, same as the rear wheel hub nut. Remember, do not loosen the upper clamp bolts!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Loosen the lower fork clamps, loosen handlebar clamps on top and underneath ones that keep the clamps square... Then push downward hard on top of triple tree and bounce the forks... It will allign them, then carefully retighten everything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How likely it is for forks to twist inside the triple tee, on my last ride I found my handle bar to be OFF maybe a few degrees while going straight.

Seems now like one leg is out of the top section maybe 1/16 more than the other.
Did check the bolts and they seems tight, and did nothing major except a few wheelies (none of them hit hard on the way down).
The only thing maybe I hit enough hard was a train crossing rail which nearly bottomed the rear shock, but it didn't felt really bad at the handle bar.

I'm waiting for my front stand to fix this and I plan dropping the front a little.
Any trick on how to align effectively the forks and the handlebar?

Thanks all
This may [email protected]:20

·
Registered
657 Posts
The problem with this is if you loosen both upper and lower, your forks could slide through dropping the bike.. so it will not work.
Try it. Your forks will be fine. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for links and infos, Dave Moss is my new hero :), reading is good but viewing is better.
I was concerned too about bike sliding down on forks,
in any way I will have to loosen the top and bottom at least on one side since my forks aren't sitting at the same height,
I'll try this today and drop/align the bike at the same time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is also another method to see if your forks are parallel. You can take a square piece of glass and lay it against the forks. You adjust the forks until the glass stops rocking.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Have a rectangle piece of glass in my toolbox for just this purpose.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Try it. Your forks will be fine. I speak from experience.
Sorry Buck, but the only way I would try that is if the bike was on a triple tree stand. I know experienced people who would agree with me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I fixed it this afternoon, and dropped the front 3/8 in at the same time (now my forks are out 3/8 on top tee).

Still don't have my triple tee stand so I had to do it in few steps, one side at the time.
I'm very satisfied how it transformed the bike, lot more stability in curves, the uncertain feeling is gone,
in fact I think the bike should be tuned that way straight from the factory.

I like the glass plate technique, I'll sure find one to put in my special tool box.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I'm subscribed as well!
I looped a wheelie and the bike slid into a pile of dirt and now the front wheel is not straight lol I've ttried everythjng I could think of to align it.. and nothing works. So hopefully there is somethin I havnt tried or else one fork is bent :/
Support the bike with blocks under the engine and remove the front axle.

Test your axle for being straight. Even a very minor tweak in the axle can cause the forks to be twisted when the axle is tightened. I have seen it a couple of times in relatively minor accidents.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts