Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the left side fork is pushed up in the left yoke more than the right side fork in the right yoke, normal?
if not how to fix it, without a triple tree lift?

·
Registered
619 Posts
can you hang the bike from somewhere? or maybe a jack under the header? you could also use a rod or length of 2x4, but it would be easier with 2 people. put the kickstand down, and from the right side of the bike (side with the brake levers) push the bike back on it's back wheel and kick stand. once the front wheel is a couple of inches off the ground prop the 2x4 under the engine to hold it. I'd suggest having a helper hold the bars while you loosen the triple tree and drop the fork down to the correct level.

if you can swing the cash, getting a good set of stands is a wise investment.

Reactions: Desert Rat

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Do you have frame sliders??? If so, you might be able to hang it, or support it from the frame sliders as long as they are ones that are good an secure to the frame.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
You have got to secure the rear of the bike if you use a floor jack to lift the front.
And...I use my jack on the oil pan with a super-stiff foam pad between jack and pan.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have read guys jacking up under the stock exhaust can and not doing any damage. I used a jack and wood block under the exhaust to hold up the engine when I installed my frame sliders to hold the engine in place. I am not so sure about the oil pan???? I'd hate to see you crack the oil pan. I'd personally risk a small dent in the exhaust over damaging the oil pan.

Or you could try and build a wooded stand to hold the bike up under the front engine frame mounts. Just use some soft rags or rubber pads to help prevent scratching the paint.

I am thinking the oil pan might be too far back on the bikes centre of gravity to just pick up the front end. Oh and run down the tank to lighten the load, lol.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
The photos show a significant difference.
Review the videos for the alignment procedure.
If you loosen the axle pinch bolt, front axle, lower clamp bolts on the affected leg only, front fender fasteners, and the one top clamp bolt and then give the top of the fork tube
(not the fork adjuster) a light tap with the bottom of a hammer handle with something to cushion the blow, you don't want to ark up your fork tops...I would just nudge the tube
back flush with the top clamp. Being careful not to push the tube too far down into the clamp.

Tighten everything back up top down to recommended torque and triple check every fastener.

You may be able to get away without using any stands, other than the side stand. And if you have a good feel for fastener torque, you might
be able to get away with no torque wrench. You'll need a big allen key/socket for the inside of the front axle.

Oh and if you are working on the bike while on the side stand, always make sure it is in gear and push the bike up against the bit of slack in the transmission.
You would snug up to the rear when loosening and snug to the front when tightening. That's probably not necessary, but you don't want to bike rolling off the
side stand while you trying to snug up the fasteners.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
First, this is not enough difference to matter unless you are racing the bike.

Second, you are trying way too hard. This is really simple!

Third, no stand is needed for this. Leave the bike on the side stand or on a rear stand, doesnt matter. Loosen the triple clamps on the side you are adjusting. Adjust the height. Retighten the triple clamps.

Ride more, worry less.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would also tighten up the preload and make sure the rebound damping is set at or close to max.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Lean it on the side stand, loosen upper and lower triple clamps on the side that you want to adjust up or down, twist the tube as you either push or pull, retighten lower, then upper. Done.

Takes two people.

·
Banned
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the local shop said to get the front rim straightened a new tire and get the brake pedal sorted and then he will align the front end

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
hit some gravel panicked locked up rear wheel and drifted into a curb going 40 mph
I'm guessing you don't have any dirt bike experience. This sounds like a classic case where it would have come in handy. You would not have panicked, and might have been able to avoid hitting the curb, if you had ridden dirt bikes before.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts