Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting new forks in on my mt09 and they don’t line up. I can’t get one to go through the under bracket and the crown handle but the other one is just completely off. Only thing that I can think it is the under bracket comp is bent. I did dump it last year after all. Also I see these 2 frame bolts, one is sticking further then the other. Is this normal?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, normal for that right side engine mount bolt to stick out more than the left one.

Your top and bottom clamps prolly got misaligned when you dumped it (did the front end hit something?). Loosen up the top nut to let the top clamp move free and install the fork legs, that should line everything up.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Are they 09 forks?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, normal for that right side engine mount bolt to stick out more than the left one.

Your top and bottom clamps prolly got misaligned when you dumped it (did the front end hit something?). Loosen up the top nut to let the top clamp move free and install the fork legs, that should line everything up.
Okay and yeah the front hit the ground pretty hard.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
It actually looks like the triple clamps are twisted. I'd loosen off the head bearings and try to align forks from scratch.

Reactions: Jackkranjac17

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Loosened the top nut on the crown handle and forks still not lined up. Are the triple clamps toast or is there another way to line them up? I see someone said something about loosening bearings but I’m confused on that? Almost seems like the triple clamps got wacked out twisted from the fall and that I might need new one. sitting on the bike perspective the right side lines up perfect but the left side just not even close like in those pics.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,919 Posts
Almost seems like the triple clamps got wacked out twisted from the fall and that I might need new one. sitting on the bike perspective the right side lines up perfect but the left side just not even close like in those pics.
I'll tell you right now... If you aren't very confident in your mechanical abilities - and that's not a slam, just an observation based on the questions you're asking - you really need to have a shop look at the bike. Messing around with forks/clamps/wheels/brakes is not something for a novice to be doing, because you're putting yourself in danger if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

It definitely seems like something is bent - badly. It could be your triple clamp assembly, or your forks, or both. It sounds like there was a big enough impact in your crash that other components - even the frame - could be damaged. Don't make guesses and try to diagnose it yourself...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Re-reading the OP, are these the same forks that came out or different ones? Either way, roll them on a flat surface to make sure they are not bent. If they are different forks, do the same with the old ones.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Loosened the top nut on the crown handle and forks still not lined up. Are the triple clamps toast or is there another way to line them up? I see someone said something about loosening bearings but I’m confused on that? Almost seems like the triple clamps got wacked out twisted from the fall and that I might need new one. sitting on the bike perspective the right side lines up perfect but the left side just not even close like in those pics.
So with the top nut loosened, the top clamp should be free to move around separate from the lower clamp. If you're saying that even with the top and bottom clamps free to move separately, that the forks still won't go into both clamps, then yeah, something is seriously bent. Either the forks, or the bottom clamp, or maybe even both.
You don't need to touch the steering stem bearings unless you're trying to retorque them or remove the entire stem and lower clamp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re-reading the OP, are these the same forks that came out or different ones? Either way, roll them on a flat surface to make sure they are not bent. If they are different forks, do the same with the old ones.
They are brand new forks I bought from Yamaha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So with the top nut loosened, the top clamp should be free to move around separate from the lower clamp. If you're saying that even with the top and bottom clamps free to move separately, that the forks still won't go into both clamps, then yeah, something is seriously bent. Either the forks, or the bottom clamp, or maybe even both.
You don't need to touch the steering stem bearings unless you're trying to retorque them or remove the entire stem and lower clamp.
I have brand new forks and a brand new top crown handle. So my guess is the bottom triple clamps are bent.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,919 Posts
I have brand new forks and a brand new top crown handle. So my guess is the bottom triple clamps are bent.
That would have to be it, then, assuming top crown handle means top triple clamp…

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,317 Posts
I can't imagine you being able to bend either tripple clamp, especially that much. They are cast parts and will tend to break rather than bend. Would love to see some pictures of the lower tripple clamp when you remove it from the bike - maybe on a flat surface side-by-side with the new one.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
What psyco said plus it would seem to be twisted somewhat. The triple tree assembly is an independent unit so even frame damage wouldn't affect what we see in the photo. I'm "guessing" the bottom is slightly twisted. A few minutes with a straight edge could verify the need for a new part.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Putting new forks in on my mt09 and they don’t line up. I can’t get one to go through the under bracket and the crown handle but the other one is just completely off. Only thing that I can think it is the under bracket comp is bent. I did dump it last year after all. Also I see these 2 frame bolts, one is sticking further then the other. Is this normal? View attachment 166880 View attachment 166881 View attachment 166882 View attachment 166883
Fork tubes, front shocks in the picture are set for a light rider and soft cushy ride. Screw down the adjuster so almost nothing is sticking up before you crash again. Put wire ties on the chrome shock tubes before you ride again, to verify shock travel when riding.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts