Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of town all week so finally got a chance to give the new AK-20's a good shake down yesterday. Did a 40 mile run on my local bumpy twisty mountain road.

Things things are awesome. Combined with the new shock this bike is now a magic carpet. It goes where it is pointed and stays planted. Since it took awhile for me to get the shock dialed in I did not pay much attention to the stock forks. After the upgrade I now realize just how bad the stock forks really are. The difference is night and day.

The AK-20's are not cheap but definitely worth the price of admission.

I am now happy as a clam at high tide. :cool:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have the equivalent Stoltec suspension already installed, just waiting for a few unrelated parts to finish my 09 project and give it test. Too bad we are 2,000 miles apart, would be fun to swap bikes for a bit and compare. Do you ever fly to Indy, Louisville, or Cincinnati? Sneak your 09 into the luggage compartment. ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the equivalent Stoltec suspension already installed, just waiting for a few unrelated parts to finish my 09 project and give it test. Too bad we are 2,000 miles apart, would be fun to swap bikes for a bit and compare. Do you ever fly to Indy, Louisville, or Cincinnati? Sneak your 09 into the luggage compartment. ;)
When I was flying the bigger jets we used to go to all the above. But now I am in the old man jet. We almost never get east of the Rockies. Which is fine with me. One time zone change is enough for my old carcus.

And oh how I wish it would fit in the baggage. We spend a lot of time in Idaho and Montana in the summer. I would bee burning thru mucho tires if I could bring her along!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I remember you got rid of your zx10 shock because it was too harsh? What shock did you end up getting?
Actually it is off a ZX6-RR and I still have it. I ended up sending it back to Traxxion twice. The first time was just before they had an FZ09 in their shop. They did not realize that my shock and even the Penske's had way too much compression damping for the bike. So I contacted them about a doing a Penske. Dan told me to send the kawi shock back because now they had numbers for the FZ and they would re valve it free of charge. They also changed the spring to a softer one appropriate for my weight.

I have had it on the bike for a couple of weeks now and it is fantastic.

Are you going on the big Sunday ride? I got a PM from Dan the Man about the ride. Unfortunately I am on call this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts