Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think there's any possibility of the R1 forks, brakes etc swapping over?

I'll be finding out when I get mine, I have a front end off an '08 :p

If it doesn't work, just means it's going onto the Warrior :D

What might our other options be if the R1 bits don't work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would be swapping my Ohlins FRT forks in, if it fit.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anybody know of other forks we could swap into FZ-09? If the total fork length and travel are close it would be worth trying ebay for this upgrade.

Stock specs seem to be:

5.4" travel
41 mm diameter sliders (inner fork tubes)
50 mm diameter outer fork tube in the top triple clamp
52 mm diameter outer fork tube in the bottom triple clamp
21.25 inches long for the outer fork tube
30.5 inches in total length from the top of the fork to the center of the 22mm axle

Thanks

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In addition to the more planted handling and the subtle ride, I like the ability to brake harder with a quality setup.
Completely agreed, that's the main thing I'm looking for too, swapping to the R1 brakes. If we're lucky, they may even just bolt up??

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just measured my 05 R1 shocks and the are 28.5 from center of axle to top. They are quite a bit shorter.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much shorter? That might not necessarily be a bad thing, a lot of the guys have been saying they'd like to either lower the front, or raise the rear of the bike some.

Personally, I just really like the idea of the better brakes, and getting rid of the gold forks. And it's an opportunity to powdercoat the wheels anyway. Wonder if the FZ fender will fit, or if you'll need an R1 front fender too?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How much shorter? That might not necessarily be a bad thing, a lot of the guys have been saying they'd like to either lower the front, or raise the rear of the bike some.

Personally, I just really like the idea of the better brakes, and getting rid of the gold forks. And it's an opportunity to powdercoat the wheels anyway. Wonder if the FZ fender will fit, or if you'll need an R1 front fender too?
2", 30.5" vs. 28.5". That's 50mm, which is a lot. Rough rule of thumb is that 3mm of ride height equals 1mm of trail, so close to 11mm less trail. That's a huge change.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2", 30.5" vs. 28.5". That's 50mm, which is a lot. Rough rule of thumb is that 3mm of ride height equals 1mm of trail, so close to 11mm less trail. That's a huge change.
Thanks for the info.

Now just playing devils advocate here, those are the extended / unloaded lengths correct? So once the front end is loaded, the FZ forks are going to compress more and that should put the numbers closer together. But you're right, that is a big difference...

Yamaha claims 103 mm trail, for the sake of comparison the Triumph Street Triple claims 99.6 mm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Now just playing devils advocate here, those are the extended / unloaded lengths correct? So once the front end is loaded, the FZ forks are going to compress more and that should put the numbers closer together. But you're right, that is a big difference...

Yamaha claims 103 mm trail, for the sake of comparison the Triumph Street Triple claims 99.6 mm
Well, you should be setup with the same sag, and ideally the same spring rate, so that should be a wash. Other variable is triple clamp offset, that directly affects trail.
Lots more to consider on fork swaps beyond "will it bolt up". :)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Funny thing, I really liked the gold forks on the FZ8..... I just don't care for them on the FZ-09 though. Don't know why either... :confused:
My buddies were saying the same thing on the FZ8 forum. They didn't like the gold fork... I bough some Ohlins sticker for $5.00 on fleebay... LOL Fork mod done!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know alot of people are not crazy about the gold forks and well the guys over on the yamaha stryker are starting to use plasti dip the cool thing about it is if you dont like it you just peel it off and your back to gold. Do a search see what you think? Nothing to lose.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, you should be setup with the same sag, and ideally the same spring rate, so that should be a wash. Other variable is triple clamp offset, that directly affects trail.
Lots more to consider on fork swaps beyond "will it bolt up". :)
I guess I was going off of the stock spring rates, the R1 rate is about 20% stiffer than the FZ.

If you have the time, would you mind going into more detail about what kind of impact the shorter forks would have on the bike? You clearly know more about this than I do, although I want to learn. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The short answer is it will quicken your steering. 2 inches is a lot very possible that is enough to make it unstable. If you were lowering the front to quicken the steering you'd likely do it in 1/8 to 1/4 inch increments. IMO if the issue is the fork color then change the color of the stock forks, way easier and you won't be the Guinea pig for how low a 09 front end can go. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Someone in the other house got his fork done by Traxxion Dynamics. So they should have them all sort out. They added some compression adjustment on the LH side and change all internals.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts