Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fork Stiction

How much fork stiction are you guys seeing on your bikes. The last time I measured I had around 6-8mm. Is it just the cheap stock suspension components of the bike? I did have my dealer put some maxima 5wt fork oil in my forks a month or 2 ago though. Not sure if it did or would effect the amount of stiction.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm guessing you're measuring my compressing and slowly releasing the fork, measure, and then extending the fork, slowly let it settle and measuring again?

I went and measured just for you using the method I just described. I too, got a 5-6mm difference. 5.8mm to be exact. Not a big deal I'd imagine.

SKF makes fork seals that are supposed to reduce friction. Whether or not they have a seal for our application is unknown.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Haven't measured mine, IMO if a 09 has more stiction than the average standard or sport bike it is because the forks are twisted or non parallel from the way the axle was tightened etc.

·
Registered
730 Posts
never heard of measuring "stiction" before. I doubt this method duplicates real world fork action................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts