Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. First, let me thank everyone, for all the great posts. I have learned a lot.

I have the 2015 FZ09 (yellow, does that matter? :) )

I decided to upgrade the springs and ordered the Racetech 0.95 springs. They spec a length of 340mm.

The stock springs are about 300mm. Significantly shorter.

I was surprised I could not find a thread on this topic. If I install the Racetech springs, I will end up with *much* more preload, will I not? I am not sure that's a good thing.

Has anyone else noted the difference between the Racetech recommended length and the stock length?

Thanks much.

RTW

P.S. I tried searching the forum and could not find a discussion on this issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. It looks like there is a thread that sort of addresses this. It appears that Racetech expects you to modify the spacer. What do people think. Should I cut the stock spacer or use the metal tubing that Racetech supplied?

Thanks

RTW

·
Registered
153 Posts
Either method is fine once the overall length is the same. Remember to use the supplied washers from racetech

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Thanks. I put it back together with the metal tubes from Racetech. They had to be cut to length and holes drilled for compression.

What a pain! Because the new spacers sit *on top* of the springs, and the springs are so long they stick up out of the tubes, the compression is very difficult. The spring moves back and forth and, the spacer slices back and forth and then off the top, and washers go flying. It took two people and some swearing to hold things right for long enough to get them compressed down.

I would not buy these springs again. Rather, I would find someone that sells them at stock length, which appears to be 300mm.

Cheers,

RTW

·
Registered
877 Posts
I seem to remember cutting the stock FZ 09 spacers 40 mm shorter.

Was a better fit than the sloppy spacers that came with the Race Tec's spacer tubing.

Having the correct fork compressor tool made things easier.

Stoltec had springs in the correct 300 mm length, and they were ( I think ) about $ 20 to 30 cheaper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I seem to remember cutting the stock FZ 09 spacers 40 mm shorter.

Was a better fit than the sloppy spacers that came with the Race Tec's spacer tubing.

Having the correct fork compressor tool made things easier.

Stoltec had springs in the correct 300 mm length, and they were ( I think ) about $ 20 to 30 cheaper.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Sonic springs that Stoltec carried.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

I figured I would wrap this thread up, thank everyone, and leave my experiences for the archive.

> I decided to upgrade the springs and ordered the Racetech 0.95 springs. They spec a length of 340mm.

The length of the RaceTech springs for this bike is a pain to deal with, but they work. Given the choice, it would be less aggravation to get a stock-length spring.

I weight #190 and ordered 0.95 RaceTech springs. I put in 10W Maxim for oil.

The difference is *huge*. The front end is way more stable, planted. There is no doubt that front end was underdamped. With the new oil, the rebound adjustment actually makes a difference (imagine that). For anyone on the fence about this mod, it's totally worth doing. Even if the you think the current springs are fine, the fork needs heavier oil, and that mod alone would be worth it.

On that note, I had friends (none FZ09ers) that warned me against this mod, saying that it would not fix the front end and that I needed to throw a lot more money at this. Sure, maybe more $$$ would give me a better ride. But with this mod the bike goes from kind-a-scary to perfect-fun-ridable. I will work on the shock later, but with the new front end, I think the current suspension will be fine for a while.

Thanks everyone for the help.

RTW

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for update. I'm putting in sonic .95s with 10W as soon as it warms up. I'm a tad heavier than you. Now I know I'll be real close!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm going Sonic since I don't want to hack and measure anything, period. So many members have had such good results I don't see what RT really brings to the party. For the rear I can't think of a single reason NOT to buy the Ohlins YA 335 shock over any emulsion-style shock since price-wise they're so close to Penske's emulsion shock price tag. Even paying my local dealer to do the work gets me OTD for about a grand, which I can justify to a woman who shakes her head every time I bring home another bike LOL. YMMV....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts