Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Fork seal removal question

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  NVC_HOUSTON 
#1 ·
I'll have to replace the fork seals soon and I have a question about fork disassembly.
With the fork cap undone and the damper rod unscrewed from the cap, can the outer tube be withdrawn from the inner tube with the cartridge still attached to the inner tube assembly of the fork?
I have seen a video that implies this is possible, if only fork seal replacement is required, and others that remove the screw that fastens the cartridge to the fork inner tube.
The video that left the cartridge attached used the inner tube as a slide hammer to pop the seal out of the outer tube.

#3 ·
According to the service manual you are supposed to separate the inner and outer fork tubes before you remove the damper rod assembly; which I believe is the same as the cartridge. I'm no expert and can't keep up with the terminology of all the fork guts lol.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

dcpppf you are correct about damper rod/cartridge and I should have looked in the manual.

1216bandit Yes I tried the seal mate , made one from a polypropylene icecream container. It worked the first time several years ago but the leak has returned and won't respond to the clean up.

#8 ·
Where I am luckly some local racer and ex race have a little shop. They do excellent work with fair prices, so I use them when I can. Plus my skill set is in the waning years. Agree, if one is leaking the other is soon to follow, good luck on the repair.

Ride sane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.