Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through a ton of threads on here but I still have a few questions.

I'm 6'1" 210 pounds no gear, I ordered a zx6rr rear shock, which will suit me fine, but I know the front fork is going to be way too soft for me. Is it as simple as ordering new Fork springs and changing to heavier oil or did yamaha make it a challange?

I'll most likely never track the bike, but spirited mountain runs will be in it's future.

I suppose I should add that I don't yet have the bike, but it's ordered.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've read through a ton of threads on here but I still have a few questions.

I'm 6'1" 210 pounds no gear, I ordered a zx6rr rear shock, which will suit me fine, but I know the front fork is going to be way too soft for me. Is it as simple as ordering new Fork springs and changing to heavier oil or did yamaha make it a challange?

I'll most likely never track the bike, but spirited mountain runs will be in it's future.

I suppose I should add that I don't yet have the bike, but it's ordered.

Thanks in advance

Hi
I'm not far off your weight and for me it was simple spring swap and new oil up front (well simple to buy and give to shop to fit along with the ZX10R rear)
I followed Stoltec's advise and got Sonic springs at 0.9.
They came with instructions from Sonic to use 10wt oil and to set the level at 120mm

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am the same weight, 6.2 & did .95 sonic springs with 10w oil at 120mm & it was a big improvement over STD, I then did a 2009 ZX10R rear shock a few weeks later, it has been a bit tricky to balance the two & am still working through it, the ZX10 shock is over dampened & needs to be backed off quite a bit. I know I will end up doing the cartridges, but the springs & oil are worth doing if you go that route.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, how difficult is the spring install up front? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I've only ever torn apart a DR650 fork.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
interested in this as well. I'd like to do a spring/oil swap but have never worked with a spring compression tool. Not sure what I'd be getting myself in to!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've never taken apart upside down forks either but will tackle this in the spring with heavier springs and oil. I'm no mechanic but this is what I've learned from tearing my vmax apart:
1) work a bit
2) think a bit
3) read a bit
4) drink a bit
5) repeat

Who cares if it takes you 10 hours to do a 3 hour job. You'll know it's done right and the satisfaction is worth the effort!;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically, I see a lot of drinking happening and no front fork being put together on the bike haha. Is there a clymer manual for disassembling the fork??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Basically, I see a lot of drinking happening and no front fork being put together on the bike haha. Is there a clymer manual for disassembling the fork??
No clymer yet. You'd have to use the factory service manual. As for the drinking: you just have to know when to stop, either working or sipping! :very_drunk:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm about 200 with gear and did a zx6rr shock and .95kg springs with 15wt motul oil in the forks. Dave Moss did all the fine tuning for me and the bike was transformed. I've adjusted it a bit from there myself, but I've had it on the track a few times and it really made a huge difference for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Changing the fork springs well require a spring compressor either store bought or home made one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.