Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm changing my fork spring and oil and while doing this I noticed that the oil amount I recuperated while draining was 470 mL for the Left fork (I'm still working on the right one installing new stoltec piston kit)

So I started by adding about 450mL of new oil, figuring that should be close to the 147mm oil level. But even after pumping the damping rod and letting it sit for 10 minute or so, the oil level is way too high, I got 128 mm and technically I still have about 20mL of oil to add.

I did the mesurement from the top of the outer tube with the outter tube fully rested on the fork end.

I'm puzzeled now...why is there such a big difference in oil quantity vs the oil level. Is it possible my oil level in the stock forks where too high? althought the quantity seems right?

I'll do the right fork and measure the height before draining it and see, but I don't know which number to trust...

thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Use oil level rather than quantity. Are the forks fully compressed when you check it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok did my right fork and got 154mm oil level height for 400 mL of drained oil. If the quantity in the shop manuel were right, I sholuld have recuperated approximatly 458mL, so I'm out almost 60mL.

I'll stick with the height since the right «working fork» is about right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts