Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a certified Race Tech Center install the Race Tech fork springs and gold valves on my FZ-09. When I push down on the handlebars to compress the forks, I hear the spring squeaking like the spring is contacting the inside of the fork tubes. I called the tech that installed it back and told him about the noise. He stated that the Race Tech springs are larger in diameter than the stock springs and is rubbing against the inside of the for tubes and it should go away after a few hundred miles since it will wear down the spring coating. I then asked if the shavings from the rubbing would be bad for the proper operation of the shock and he said no. Does anybody else have this problem? I attached a video to this post so you can hear what I am talking about...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Traxxion dynamics uses a plastic sleeve system to prevent this from happening as the shavings can damage the internal fork parts.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That sounds horrible. I would not be happy at all about that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Take the bike back to your RT center and have them pull the springs and polish the OD of the spring with some 400 wet and dry and then reinstall. The springs have a rough finish from blasting them to relieve stress and they will squeak until that is polished off but it should have been done from the get go.

·
Registered
251 Posts
After reading the thread title I thought you had the same issue that I noticed once my GP suspension cartridges were installed, whereby the noise of the oil can be heard moving though the cartridge.

I would be having this looked at immediately.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Those springs look mighty stiff to me. Are they for a 240 pound rider?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just got mine installed and heard the same thing.

On a side note, does the adj valve have "clicks" or just turn? I'm used to clicks with Ohlins and this just turns.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The stock FZ-09 fork springs are 36.4mm OD big end and 32.7mm OD small end. The fork springs from Race Tech FRSP S3534xxx are 34.7mm both ends so they are slightly smaller then the stock on the big end and slightly bigger then the small end. The small end is very short so there is plenty of clearance between the fork tube and the Race tech spring. The issue is the rough finish on the OD of the springs from the manufacturer and should be polished off before install.

deboFZ,
Did you polish the OD of the spring with some 400 grit before installing or did the shop that did the work do this for you?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Just got mine installed and heard the same thing.

On a side note, does the adj valve have "clicks" or just turn? I'm used to clicks with Ohlins and this just turns.
I had my local Race Tech Center install springs and Gold Valves. My forks are smooth, quiet and reasonably compliant.
The damper screw has no clicks and you should have about 4 turns of adjustment.
That squeek is just wrong!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a shop do them, and I'm guessing they didn't do it. Not sure I want to take it back to them to fix, I got hosed on the install and I told myself I wasn't taking anything back there. I may just buck up and tear them back apart myself and learn how to do forks on the fly. I was planning on figuring it out for myself anyway.

The stock FZ-09 fork springs are 36.4mm OD big end and 32.7mm OD small end. The fork springs from Race Tech FRSP S3534xxx are 34.7mm both ends so they are slightly smaller then the stock on the big end and slightly bigger then the small end. The small end is very short so there is plenty of clearance between the fork tube and the Race tech spring. The issue is the rough finish on the OD of the springs from the manufacturer and should be polished off before install.

deboFZ,
Did you polish the OD of the spring with some 400 grit before installing or did the shop that did the work do this for you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I emailed Race Tech about the issue and I got a call from the Race Tech Center that installed my springs and valves. They made another appointment for me to come in and polish the springs. I hope that resolves the problem. Kudos to Race Tech and their great customer support :) I will post an update of the results...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Take the bike back to your RT center and have them pull the springs and polish the OD of the spring with some 400 wet and dry and then reinstall. The springs have a rough finish from blasting them to relieve stress and they will squeak until that is polished off but it should have been done from the get go.
Hey NorWest thanks mucho, I will be installing my RaceTech springs in a couple days and I don't recall seeing anything in the instructions about polishing the springs. I will certainly shine mine up before dropping them in the tube.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can you double check the instructions for me? Mine were installed by a non-RaceTech shop (Ohlins shop), and if it wasn't in the instructions to do, I won't be upset about it (price, maybe).

If it's not in RT instructions, it's their bad IMO. Why send something out that needs modification, and then don't tell people to modify it?

Hey NorWest thanks mucho, I will be installing my RaceTech springs in a couple days and I don't recall seeing anything in the instructions about polishing the springs. I will certainly shine mine up before dropping them in the tube.

·
Registered
216 Posts
To polish or not to polish

Can you double check the instructions for me? Mine were installed by a non-RaceTech shop (Ohlins shop), and if it wasn't in the instructions to do, I won't be upset about it (price, maybe).

If it's not in RT instructions, it's their bad IMO. Why send something out that needs modification, and then don't tell people to modify it?
I am currently out of town and will be home late tonight. If I don't get back to you tonight, I will tomorrow.

QS

·
Registered
666 Posts
mine did that too. rode it for a while and it went away. oddly enough in the first week after install, some very light scoring appeared on the right fork stanchion (sp), a tiny bit on the left leg, took it apart and it turned out to be hardened steel fragments stuck in the bushings' teflon.

So, yeah. It was friggin awesome to tear them all apart and sterilize the whole system.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts