Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I am glad you brought this up!
The lights can be pointed "down" to cutoff where you are wanting them to cutoff for the hot spots. I am showing you the light out put that they have. When you look at a headlight is doesn't have a "cutoff" unless you have a projector installed. If you have a reflector lens you see the light and oncoming traffic sees your light you are just adjusting it to throw the distance you want it to. I can look directly at these fog lights on low beam and they do not effect your vision at all. High beam is a different story and the same goes for your high beam headlights. They are very bright and do effect your line of site. I see Harley riders all the time sporting their blinding fog lights that blind oncoming drivers in the daytime!!!! We live in a very well traveled motorcycle route for riders all over the central FL area. That is why we wanted to go with low/high beams so we aren't supplying customers with the same blinding fog light option others have. On/off function and still paying $300-$500 for them. While we do ride, we are also in cagers and see the results of blinding fog lights and all the time high beams! This will hopefully curb this because they work and are compact.

Once these are mounted on the FZ I can show some more pictures with the OEM and the fogs on so you can see this side by side. I am sure pictures won't do them justice. Thanks. T

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Speaking with an XSR owner we have a location we are going to shoot for and a concept mock up of that location. I think this is a great spot. Going to pick up some xsr headlight parts and see about a bracket putting them in this location. Thanks. Jeffrey for the picture.

Concept.jpg

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
I am glad you like your purchase but you said it your self "is it worth $500?"
I am offering up fog lights for less than $500. Cutoff line is what Yamaha did with the headlight. That square box of light projected out. That is what I am looking to make better because there is a problem with the OEM light no matter what Yamaha says there fix is. No more only seeing just what is directly in front of you. These fog lights on low beam are not going to blind oncoming traffic either. That is where you are getting light output at a level you can see and doesn't effect oncoming traffic and a High beam function to give you proper high beam lighting to see your way! Still think Yamaha made a mistake with this light and are trying to make good on it by offering a fog light option. The factory light output is horrible and I have seen mini bikes with factory led headlights with better light out than the FZ. This is not our first run at doing led headlights. Our Dual led headlights are a great option for those motorcycles with one low and one high beam. We went through tons of designs to get the right one that will work in the housings and "NOT" blind oncoming traffic but still put out a great light output.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You're obviously preaching to the choir about the poor stock headlight pattern. But throwing on lights with no cutoff isn't good just because others do it too. It sucks they charge $500 for these, but they are done right. They work, have a legal cutoff and no light in to drivers eyes, unlike the ones you are playing with. It's one of the reason the FJR guys tried and rejected them that I told you about.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You're obviously preaching to the choir about the poor stock headlight pattern. But throwing on lights with no cutoff isn't good just because others do it too. It sucks they charge $500 for these, but they are done right. They work, have a legal cutoff and no light in to drivers eyes, unlike the ones you are playing with. It's one of the reason the FJR guys tried and rejected them that I told you about.
FJR guys bought what was available and used that. Not enough light output for low power and not enough for what they wanted on high voltage. They bought clearwaterled lights instead. Clearwaterled lights use no filters "reflectors" Just high powered led's pointing straight to the front. Using the correct reflectors the lights can be used without blinding oncoming traffic. The focus of the light is in the middle just like a regular reflector headlight. Most vehicles use(d) these for years! They don't have a cutoff like a projector, this is true yet they are less than half the size of a projector and still produce usable light. 2016 and previous FZ don't have a cutoff either. Reflector headlight is used. The light output is similar to the H4 used in the headlight. You get a hot spot in the middle with bleeding light on all sides. The bleeding light on all sides isn't as bright as the middle is.
Once we have this installed I will take pictures from the front so you can see these are not blinding to oncoming riders/drivers.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
It would be nice if you can come up with a bracket that tucks the led fog lights up out of the way, so they are not all that noticeable when not in use.

Three quick ideas:

Option #1 under the headlight, in front of each fork tube.

TripAge-MT-09-LEDs-1.jpg

Option #2 under the headlight near the middle of the headlight

TripAge-MT-09-LEDs-2.jpg

Option #3 again under the headlight but tucked up and back a little so they can be aimed down at the road.

TripAge-MT-09-LEDs-3.jpg

Just some quick ideas, with another being inside the fake intake scoops, but this might limit the adjustable range of the lights.

Or make them a universal mounting option, so they can be installed on any year FZ/MT-09 & XSR900.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks, I like your thinking! We are really hoping to use fork tube mounts for these as well so it's an easily hidden add-on.

It would be nice if you can come up with a bracket that tucks the led fog lights up out of the way, so they are not all that noticeable when not in use.

Three quick ideas:

Option #1 under the headlight, in front of each fork tube.

View attachment 148158

Option #2 under the headlight near the middle of the headlight

View attachment 148160

Option #3 again under the headlight but tucked up and back a little so they can be aimed down at the road.

View attachment 148162

Just some quick ideas, with another being inside the fake intake scoops, but this might limit the adjustable range of the lights.

Or make them a universal mounting option, so they can be installed on any year FZ/MT-09.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Speaking with an XSR owner we have a location we are going to shoot for and a concept mock up of that location. I think this is a great spot. Going to pick up some xsr headlight parts and see about a bracket putting them in this location. Thanks. Jeffrey for the picture.

View attachment 147988
That looks great, and I appreciate that you're thinking of us XSR owners, too. I'm wondering if that mounting location will work for those of us who have removed the 1" spacer between the headlight shell and the bracket. It looks like it might be a little tight…

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have you looked at the pivot mounts from Denali lights. If the stud on your light is the right size these would be nice universal mounts.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I have seen them, Not sure if that will work on these lights, need to get some to see.
We are making some mounts to fork tubes to make this a very straight forward install. We will then look at other ways to specifically install per bike to see about any brackets that need made.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Mounting parts are made and on the way. I will show this in fork tube mount as soon as I get these in. T

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I have the mounting parts here!!!! I would show pictures but haven't been able to post any direct pictures recently on the forum. I don't want to have a bunch of links for everyone to click on to see!
We are getting some fork tube mounts in as well but I don't think they are going to survive our testings we have in store so will most likely get some of our own fork tube mounts made as well so this is all works great together. I will get this mounted up on my grom for some testing photos and then test out on the FZ.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Still waiting on these. Hopefully they come out soon. Winter is soon approaching in where I live.

Please show us the whole plug and play option along with the mounts and installation when you get a chance. If you can let us know where to plug and play that would also be great. Not sure which wire I am supposed to use ad I want to check if I have it before I purchase too.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts