Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blah. Front right fork is leaking good. Thought is was maybe a little residual oil from assembly, but it's getting worse. I'll have to pull the fork leg and bring it in for service. Am I the only unlucky one with a leaky fork?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Blah. Front right fork is leaking good. Thought is was maybe a little residual oil from assembly, but it's getting worse. I'll have to pull the fork leg and bring it in for service. Am I the only unlucky one with a leaky fork?
I sprung a fork seal leak on my way to Alaska, and this is what I did. I ran my fingernail up and down the fork after I cleaned it to find any nicks that my fingernail would hang on. If you do catch a nick, sand it with emery cloth. Next I picked up some 35 mm film, yes old style camera film, and cut off a piece, pulled down the dust seal, and worked the piece of film like floss up into the seal and around in an up and down circular motion. Also, I cleaned the dust seal out. This will remove any grit that may be stuck in the seal allowing it to leak. This is an old dirt bike trick I have used many times in the past to sometimes stop or slow a leak.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bummer! Mine have been opened a few times and had several hard landings and so far so good.
I bet something stuck to the leg and cut a seal. it doen't take much.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fork has never been opened. Never came down hard after having the front up.

I can't feel any nicks anywhere on the fork tube.

This might be a good time to get springs and rebound cartridge done!

Reactions: Thantos

·
Registered
198 Posts
MotionPro has a product called "Sealsaver" , only a few bucks and similar to the film method. You've probably got a small piece of grit in the seal, try cleaning it before disassembly.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I sprung a fork seal leak on my way to Alaska, and this is what I did. I ran my fingernail up and down the fork after I cleaned it to find any nicks that my fingernail would hang on. If you do catch a nick, sand it with emery cloth. Next I picked up some 35 mm film, yes old style camera film, and cut off a piece, pulled down the dust seal, and worked the piece of film like floss up into the seal and around in an up and down circular motion. Also, I cleaned the dust seal out. This will remove any grit that may be stuck in the seal allowing it to leak. This is an old dirt bike trick I have used many times in the past to sometimes stop or slow a leak.

THIS has saved me from swapping forks out a few times on dirt bikes at the track!

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trying to clean the seal sounds like it's worth a try then.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Nope Left Fork pooling with oil here only 2k miles no hard wheelie landings. Plan on taking just fork in to as don't want them ripping apart brand new bike...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dried bug guts will do it....

Bummer! Mine have been opened a few times and had several hard landings and so far so good.
I bet something stuck to the leg and cut a seal. it doen't take much.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Use a biz card to clean out the seal

·
Registered
151 Posts
DNF doug must have owned older KTM's my fork seals used to go all the time!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My 1990 KTM 250DXC was bad about leaky seals, and so was my 1994 Honda CR250. Some of our tracks had a lot of chirt in the soil which would get under the dust seal and cause them to leak. The Alaska bike was a BMW F800GS POS.

·
Registered
962 Posts
DNF doug must have owned older KTM's my fork seals used to go all the time!
I've had a few bikes get something in the seal that I was able to clean out - but I used a thin flat gap gauge with some oil on it to clear it.

Take the weight off the front end and clean up the leakage. Then put some weight on it and try to find where it's leaking from. If you need to clean it up with emery cloth - then be sure to get all of the weight off of the front wheel so you get as much of the fork tube exposed as possible.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had a few bikes get something in the seal that I was able to clean out - but I used a thin flat gap gauge with some oil on it to clear it.

Take the weight off the front end and clean up the leakage. Then put some weight on it and try to find where it's leaking from. If you need to clean it up with emery cloth - then be sure to get all of the weight off of the front wheel so you get as much of the fork tube exposed as possible.
AH! Feeler gauges. Great idea!

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes it is! I use cut up old tear offs, but feeler gauge is a great idea.
I have tear-off too. Another great idea.

Hope this think stops leaking.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
I have to give a good review of the Motion Pro Seal Saver previously mentioned. $5 at places like Cycle Gear, or on line. It saved me major bucks on my Tiger 1050. I tried the 35mm film negative trick, but couldn't get it to stop leaking. I had bad technique. The slightly more stout Seal Saver with it's hook shape did the trick. I did have the fork off the bike, which made it super easy. I inserted the Seal Saver and just rotated the upper a couple of turns and then pulled the Seal Saver out, stroked the fork a couple of stiff pumps and no more problem. I did find an almost imperceptible scratch the length of the fork lower that i carefully polished out with some cut. Of course the shop wanted three hours at shop rate, fork oil, seals and wipers which would have been close to $300 for both forks. Good luck with the fix.
~fish

1 - 20 of 60 Posts