Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I may possibly be getting an '09 on Tuesday, but before I confirm the deal I want to know what options I have for the front end.

On the rear, I'll go with a ZX shock, not a problem.

On the front though, what options do I have other than cartidge kits for good performance? I don't fancy dropping £1000 on the front for catridges. I was thinking about forks from another bike, maybe a Tuono/Street Triple/Superduke but what are the dimensions for the front forks? A total length and clamp diameter? I don't want something much shorter as that will change the rake angle, which could incorrectly stress the frame (learnt this the hard way on a mountain bike!). Mainly I want the front be usable, I'm about 100kg geared (220lb), on the test ride of the bike, it felt to me like there was no front wheel at all, no feedback. Forks that are a little long are fine, as I can drop it through the clamps a bit.

edit - Managed to find out that the FJ09 has a 41mm diameter fork, probably safe to assume this is the same for the FZ...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum......and.......since this is your first post, I'll offer up a bit of advice. This subject has been covered over and over and over and there are multiple threads that deal with suspension upgrades/options for both the front and rear. Try doing a search and you'll be surprised at how much info is out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum......and.......since this is your first post, I'll offer up a bit of advice. This subject has been covered over and over and over and there are multiple threads that deal with suspension upgrades/options for both the front and rear. Try doing a search and you'll be surprised at how much info is out there.
I seen that there was a lot, but almost all of it was cartridge replacement or spring and oil changes. No thread I found on this forum or any other answered the fork length question, or had anyone confirm what front end swaps they had done so far.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
probably because there havent been many front end swaps done.
You'd be better off googling the best deals on cartridges, they are well under a thousand GBP.
i'm about your size, and had the OEM front end sorted for under $500 aus, new springs, oil and shims.

and i have been building streetfighters for close to 20 years. a fork swap, unless you know what you are doing, can get very expensive and time consuming.If you are relying on an internet forum instead of a tape measure, id just go with carts or springs and shims.
would you do the swap yourself, or out source it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts