Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, While I love my graphite, I have become a fan of the flat gray with silver frame and forks that I think is in Europe. Which got me thinking...Is anyone powdercoating their forks? If so, what color?
I was thinking blurple, silver, black, grey...
Any opinions or photoshop wizards?

·
Registered
416 Posts
There are a few people on here that have either plasti dipped them or had them anodized. I like the black, personally :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Man skoot, that is one mean looking beast!

Reactions: skooter65

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Powder coating would not work very well as powder coating is relatively thick and would not fit through the triple clamps without damaging the powder coat.

Anodizing is the way to go but the forks have to be completely disassembled to separate the upper tubes from everything else.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is one thing I am completely opposed to. The gold forks are part of the iconic image of this bike, I haven't seen a better looking alternative. The all black is neat, but man does it make the bike covert, maybe that's a good thing for some of you though :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Probably vinyl.

That all black bike looks damn good. Plasti- Dip. That's an idea. I think an Orange model with the frame and forks re-done in black would look sharp as hell. Hmm....

·
Registered
555 Posts
So, While I love my graphite, I have become a fan of the flat gray with silver frame and forks that I think is in Europe. Which got me thinking...Is anyone powdercoating their forks? If so, what color?
I was thinking blurple, silver, black, grey...
Any opinions or photoshop wizards?
I'll swap you your black framed 09 for my silver framed 09.

The black frames look sooooo much better IMO. Stoked I dont have gold forks though lol.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I understand the blacking out on the Graphite, but I like the gold forks on the Blazin Orange and Red versions. I have gold shortys, bar ends, and new grips in transit as we speak....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wrapped? do you have an example?
Yes, vinyl wrap. Last quite and while and and is durable, as long as it's done well. Could also wrap the frame. Plus side is nothing would have to come off the bike. I've seen our guy do entire cars here at the shop, looks nice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Powder coating would not work very well as powder coating is relatively thick and would not fit through the triple clamps without damaging the powder coat.

Anodizing is the way to go but the forks have to be completely disassembled to separate the upper tubes from everything else.
Powder coating is not THAT thick if applied correctly. I did my forks in flat black and had zero issues getting them back in. Anodized is also great if you want a color. As for
Black it's not great because it will turn purple over time because it is not UV stable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think any soft material such as paint or powder coat is a good idea between forks and clamps, anodizing allows color and corrosion protection while still providing metal to metal clamp up. You may find the clamping force goes away over time or allows the forks to twist in their clamps easier, I don't know this to be a fact but there's a reason for the way they are done and to me it seems like common sense and as such, I myself require no further proof but that is just me, keep that in mind too...you just don't see structural or critical components clamped down over paint, if you can think of some examples I'd be interested...Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Code:
I don't think any soft material such as paint or powder coat is a good idea between forks and clamps, anodizing allows color and corrosion protection while still providing metal to metal clamp up. You may find the clamping force goes away over time or allows the forks to twist in their clamps easier, I don't know this to be a fact but there's a reason for the way they are done and to me it seems like common sense and as such, I myself require no further proof but that is just me, keep that in mind too...you just don't see structural or critical components clamped down over paint, if you can think of some examples I'd be interested...Mark
As I said as long as it is not being caked on by someone who doesn't know what they are doing it'll be fine. Powder coating isn't AS thick as everyone makes it seem. Especially a single stage flat black. Anodizing is a great route also but for black it is NOT as it will turn purple from the sun rather quickly.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts