Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so back two weeks ago I had a little wipe out on my 09, did a little damage but nothing major... I hope

I did a visual inspection of the bike and never noticed anything major, but the alignment of my forks and handlebars is off slightly

The handle bars are not bent, and neither are the forks from looking at it, but when you straighten the handlebars while sitting on the bike the tire is slightly turned to the left. I'm hoping and praying I do not have the forks bent and I just have something knocked out of alignment. How would I go about trying to adjust the alignment of the tire,forks, and handlebars. I do not have a picture atm, but I am working on getting one.

If anyone has a solution to that it would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
When i recieved my bike i realized the handlebars were slightly twisted. All i did was loosen the upper tripple tree pinch bolts and the steering stem nut. Then i was able to tweek my bars and get the front tire and bars aligned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay perfect thanks! I'm assuming that's the only issue with them hopefully i just knocked it out when the handlebars hit the ground.

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
No problem! Hopefully that will help! When i said i tweeked the handle bars, i ment with some force. I couldn't get them to straighten just by pulling on them. I turned the bars to full lock then tweeked the bars with some force to get them straight. Took a little bit of trial and error to get them perfect but it worked.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Personally, compared to the above how-to I'd prefer to loosen more and use less force.

Here is a video about it, and the YouTube page has links to related videos.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I put the bike on stands and then put something under the front wheel to support it - and loosen everything. Then I wiggle everything - and everything should wiggle freely. When I have it straight then I do all of the bolts to touching down, and do the wiggle again - making sure everything lines sup. I give every bolt a touch of torque, then wiggle it again to make sure nothing is still settling out. Then I tighten everything down. He doesn't loosen the top pinch bolts because he doesn't have the front of the bike supported - borrow a frond end stand if you have to... I haven't been loosening the brake calipers - but it makes sense. I do this to every bike I buy as part of my break in procedures - and do it every couple of years, every 10,000 miles, or when I put on fresh tires. I helps to occasionally ride someone else's bike and watch them ride yours. I didn't realize my CRF250L was off until I rode alongside someone else riding it - and it looked like they were riding sideways down the road. I did it once, checked it and it still looked off a bit so I rode it a while and did it again - the second time was the charm. Now I'm leaning the CRF hard enough on the street that I'm worried the knobbies are going to rip off.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I put the bike on stands and then put something under the front wheel to support it - and loosen everything. Then I wiggle everything - and everything should wiggle freely. When I have it straight then I do all of the bolts to touching down, and do the wiggle again - making sure everything lines sup. I give every bolt a touch of torque, then wiggle it again to make sure nothing is still settling out. Then I tighten everything down. He doesn't loosen the top pinch bolts because he doesn't have the front of the bike supported - borrow a frond end stand if you have to... I haven't been loosening the brake calipers - but it makes sense. I do this to every bike I buy as part of my break in procedures - and do it every couple of years, every 10,000 miles, or when I put on fresh tires. I helps to occasionally ride someone else's bike and watch them ride yours. I didn't realize my CRF250L was off until I rode alongside someone else riding it - and it looked like they were riding sideways down the road. I did it once, checked it and it still looked off a bit so I rode it a while and did it again - the second time was the charm. Now I'm leaning the CRF hard enough on the street that I'm worried the knobbies are going to rip off.
This way is not as effective as the procedure in the video."wiggling" will not guarantee the forks self-align.Using the weight of the bike and the movement of the fork stanchions through the legs,will.

Would this fork alignment tool be worthwhile?
(will be reinstalling forks)

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08...m_auto_43?ie=UTF8&refRID=191AJ6B6DZXPV78SC486
This tool won't help much .Just use the procedure in the video.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
The bar clamps are bolted through the top triple clamps, and they can become misaligned as well.

This happens a lot with similar set ups on dual sport bikes. ( ie. like the DR650SE that has rubber mounted clamps and the handlebar clamp bolts bend easily)

bar-clamps.JPG

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
109 Posts
Okay, so back two weeks ago I had a little wipe out on my 09, did a little damage but nothing major... I hope

I did a visual inspection of the bike and never noticed anything major, but the alignment of my forks and handlebars is off slightly

The handle bars are not bent, and neither are the forks from looking at it, but when you straighten the handlebars while sitting on the bike the tire is slightly turned to the left. I'm hoping and praying I do not have the forks bent and I just have something knocked out of alignment. How would I go about trying to adjust the alignment of the tire,forks, and handlebars. I do not have a picture atm, but I am working on getting one.

If anyone has a solution to that it would be great

Thanks

Check this from Dave Moss!

Tweeked Triple Clamps

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Very helpful vids.
Thx, gents!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is a super old post, but wanted to say thank you for the awesome information! Even replaced my handlebar thinking that was bent only to realize all I had to do was loosen a couple of screws and wiggle!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is a super old post, but wanted to say thank you for the awesome information! Even replaced my handlebar thinking that was bent only to realize all I had to do was loosen a couple of screws and wiggle!!!
I did exactly the same as you, and now I have spare handlebar... If I only found this thread earlier...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts