Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of replacing my Alpinestar's Nucleon KR-1 armor for the Forcefield Back Pad version Forcefield BackPad Insert Pro - RevZilla

Any thoughts?
  • Is it better protection?
  • Can I get more reuse out of it (different Jackets)
  • Does it add more or less bulk?
  • How comfortable is it?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have the forcefield pro in my AGV jacket. As it is CE level 2, it is much more robust then the Nucleon KR-1. Alpinestars also makes a CE level 2 back protector you might want to consider.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I've never used the back pad itself, and I would say that it's probably an improvement over the A star, but your best bet would be to buy the full back protector from Force field as it offers much more protection, which is what I wear.

One thing I forgot to mention is that to be able to use the full protector, the one i'm talking about, you have to have enough room inside your jacket to put it on and still be able to zip the jacket or riding suit, whereas with the pad, it replaces the existing pad.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
So I'm thinking of replacing my Alpinestar's Nucleon KR-1 armor for the Forcefield Back Pad version Forcefield BackPad Insert Pro - RevZilla

Any thoughts?
  • Is it better protection?
  • Can I get more reuse out of it (different Jackets)
  • Does it add more or less bulk?
  • How comfortable is it?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
That's the one I bought last summer. It's great and fits my jackets w/o any problem. It's scary to see the paper thin foam that's pulled from the stock jackets.:(

When you stop and think of how much you're getting and protecting for $79., and while riding you don't even feel it in there...

This back protector is one of those things you "don't leave home without it.":cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never used the back pad itself, and I would say that it's probably an improvement over the A star, but your best bet would be to buy the full back protector from Force field as it offers much more protection, which is what I wear.
I know this is going to sound stupid, but I would prefer not to have to have to strap myself into my armor then toss my jacket on. I would like it to kind of be all in one since I am not planning on track days any time soon. However, I do have to ask (since I am not above learning), why would you suggest that particular configuration.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
A full back protector is going to provide more protection but is put on and taken off separate from the jacket.....undoubtedly better protection. The $79 piece pops in and out of the jackets in 5 seconds flat, but less protection than a full protector.

BTW, it's 100% more & better than what comes inside the jackets and adds no noticeable build or weight......so a no brained from where I sit.:cool:

Reactions: Darq

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I know this is going to sound stupid, but I would prefer not to have to have to strap myself into my armor then toss my jacket on. I would like it to kind of be all in one since I am not planning on track days any time soon. However, I do have to ask (since I am not above learning), why would you suggest that particular configuration.
It's not at all a stupid question. The full back protector covers more area of your backside, including the tailbone area, which in my opinion is critical to good back protection. You don't have to be a track day rider to get hurt coming off a bike. In fact, you chances of getting hurt worse are probably on the street where you have cars, curbs, trees, sign posts, rocks, ditches, ......you name it. I have the full protector and I wear it a lot on my street rides too. It's not as convenient as the built in, but suffering a debilitating back injury probably isn't very convenient either.

Reactions: Darq and Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It's not at all a stupid question. The full back protector covers more area of your backside, including the tailbone area, which in my opinion is critical to good back protection. You don't have to be a track day rider to get hurt coming off a bike. In fact, you chances of getting hurt worse are probably on the street where you have cars, curbs, trees, sign posts, rocks, ditches, ......you name it. I have the full protector and I wear it a lot on my street rides too. It's not as convenient as the built in, but suffering a debilitating back injury probably isn't very convenient either.
+ 1,000,000

Makes too much sense....If you're spending on protection don't skimp. Some of us shouldn't be buying anything without consulting TT first.:)

Seems like every time you post about gear it costs me money:(

Better to be over-protected than under-protected.:cool:

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
320 Posts
Now I'm scared. I saw the "CE" stamp on the stock ones in my jacket and never gave it a thought. I don't wanna spend $80 on that now.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Now I'm scared. I saw the "CE" stamp on the stock ones in my jacket and never gave it a thought. I don't wanna spend $80 on that now.
Shoulders & Elbows are almost always CE Rated and ok. The Back Protector is essentially Nothing -- Pull it out and see your yourselves. $79 is a small price to pay to protect your back.

You back is one of the 3 most important parts of the body. Your head is usually # 1.

Don't ask.:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts