Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Shorai batteries in the past. In both cases at temperatures near 50F they would not crank my bike. Had the batteries replaced under warranty, still no go.

So, for those using lithium batteries, how are they performing now that the temps are dropping? I know that some are using smaller batteries than spec'd, like Marthy.

I'm interested in responses from all using the lithium batteries, what brands, size and any performance concerns.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Lithium batteries will go "dormant" in the cold......to get them back up to full output , turn on the headlight or some other load for a few minutes. .....or just keep trying to crank it, they will usually wake right up

Reactions: SLM13 and VERSYS8

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly what I did on my Triumph, and it just wouldn't crank. It didn't matter what warmup method I used. Actually, one method worked, a space heater blowing directly on the battery. Sprag clutches on those bikes were VERY sensitive to failed starts.

Shorai replaced it twice. The next owner emailed me with the same problem, and finally went to AGM.

I want a lithium again however.

·
Registered
584 Posts
and, according to ABC news tonite, if they get too hot, they ignite on airplanes... good luck.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
my dewalt power tool have 20v lithium ion batteries. Sorry just got a bunch of em from lowes on black friday. :tongue4:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oooo! I have this issue and ive been able to work with it.

You turn the bike, switch the key but dont crank it. Let it sit for a few seconds or more then do a short crank. Stop and then do it a few times and itll work usually. You have to play around with it but itll work. This is when its cold.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
and, according to ABC news tonite, if they get too hot, they ignite on airplanes... good luck.
Good to keep in mind when doing 500 mph at 30,000 feet on the FZ.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oooo! I have this issue and ive been able to work with it.

You turn the bike, switch the key but dont crank it. Let it sit for a few seconds or more then do a short crank. Stop and then do it a few times and itll work usually. You have to play around with it but itll work. This is when its cold.
As I recall, CCA is not calculated the same with a lithium as it is with an AGM. I will have to look into it more. The problem with unsuccessful starts on the Triumph was, it would actually cause the sprag clutch to fail, which was not a cheap fix.

Shorai tried to help with the problem, but it was never resolved. A month later, their website spec'd a larger battery for my bike. Unfortunately they would not replace mine with the new spec.

·
Super Moderator
4,451 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That is exactly the information I was looking for, thank you

I like the features of the Stark...

And they have an 18ah battery with 500CCA for $190. Only 8 ounces heavier.

Between this, and other winter mods, I should be right at 400lbs wet, and 116 RWHP by spring.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Is it worth the hassle of dealing with battery issues to save 5 to 6 lbs of weight? especially if it's not really that cold out.

Or just go back to a gel cell battery for colder weather and not have to worry about being stranded on a cooler day?

·
Super Moderator
4,451 Posts
I like the features of the Stark... And they have an 18ah battery with 500CCA for $190. Only 8 ounces heavier.
You did notice that they build their batteries after receiving your order. And yes many cool features engineered to always have enough "juice" to get you
home regardless of battery drain. I interviewed Martin for a podcast and ordered one, at full price, after learning about his product. I have the smaller
Shorai in my DR650. The Stark battery I put in the Tiger 1050 which I sold in February. The current owner has a half dozen bikes and the Tiger only gets
it's legs stretched occasionally. If you order one, tell them you learned of their product from ElectricKoolaid for the Road...and I don't get anything out of it.
I just want Martin to know that his time spent on the show paid off. When I wear out the FZ's OEM battery, I'm buying the Stark. Made in the USA, by a great guy and as mentioned, built to order, so you're getting a freshy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So, how do we know how much power the batteries have?
My second stock battery (previous one killed by keeping heated grips on) went "dead" after friend left bike in PK mode on ignition for a week while I was gone. I revived it with a Battery Tender Jr and it seems to have 12.8+ volts load on it. Used heated gloves and heated grips and it seems to work fine. But I have been thinking about lithium batteries too.

Which of the above batteries can run two sets of heated gloves, heated grips and maybe heated vests too? And would these fit as snug or with room to spare in the battery compartment? I remember Marthy got something much smaller.

PS: what is the use of "PK" mode again?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am using the Ballistic 12 Cell. I have only tried down to high 20s but, it starts right up. FYI if I, did it again I would get the 8 cell & save 1/2 pound. The 12 cell is over kill for this bike.

·
Super Moderator
4,451 Posts
So, how do we know how much power the batteries have?
My second stock battery (previous one killed by keeping heated grips on) went "dead" after friend left bike in PK mode on ignition for a week while I was gone. I revived it with a Battery Tender Jr and it seems to have 12.8+ volts load on it. Used heated gloves and heated grips and it seems to work fine. But I have been thinking about lithium batteries too.
The high end Stark Power battery is engineered to prevent just such an occurrence. The way I understand it, it has a circuit to shut the battery down when detecting a parasitic drain. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is what I like, because excessive drain is very detrimental to lithium batteries as far as I know. They also do not charge $90 for a charger, on top of a $160 battery.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I too was hesitant to throw the smaller Shorai Marthy put in, but went with it anyway. I've had four bikes with Shorai batteries. None of them garaged, but all with covers and some under a deck, others a carport. Don't know how much that matters in the long run. I have never had any problems with starting power on any bike. But we all know that doesn't mean anything, it's just my experience. Essentially, I'm comfortable with them, so that's what I go with. Without giving advice, I personally would not go with Shorai if I'd had bad experiences. There would be no trust factor, and that's where I draw the line. It applies to anything regarding my vehicles, bikes, etc.
Don't know if any of that helps, but you wanted input. The FZ is starting just fine, and rarely do I have that "buggy" starting problem that others have noticed with this bike. Something I experienced before I switched out batts. Cheers, Greg.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts