Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

For those switching to synthetics

26K views 56 replies 37 participants last post by  AnxietyRidden91 
#1 ·
I chose to go with maxima ultra4 5W-40 after speaking with Tim at maxima he stated its a full blown race oil... Well I'll just show you the email..

Any who at this time I had already ordered a case of the ultra 5w-40!

Not that I would've changed my mind for the price $103 for 12 liters on amazon.
But any who its seems to have quieted down the 3 gear whine some people hear and smoothed out the engine in my case at least rode for about an hour today to get a feel for it. Liking it so far but won't have it in my bike for more then 2,750 miles.

But for that deal on oil and me changing my own oil I think this is the perfect scenario for me.

Just wondering when and to what oil you guys are planning on using after break in or from now on. Seen other oil threads but wanted to get a little more detailed.

Also will be posting how to do oil change on the FZ-09 video on my YouTube channel if anyones not sure.

MrJD410 - YouTube

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
After dropping the initial stuff and doing one more change with conventional Rotella I will be running Rotella Full Syn T6. Been using it in every bike since the late 90's and never had any issues, comes in around 5 bucks a quart if you buy the bigger jug at Wally World.

Mobil 1 15W-50 would be my second choice.

#6 ·
That would be the one, not going to go into a long rant on oils because the debate will never end but is it a top notch oil for bike use. No energy conservation BS so wet clutch problems are not a worry, I know many people who had it Blackstone tested after torturing it on the racetrack and it holds up very well.

#9 ·
There are 2 Yamaha filters that fit, one is 5GH-13440-50-00
Doing a forum search for that leads to:
http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/6-f...77-oil-filters.html?highlight=5GH-13440-50-00
http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/6-f...k-n-oil-filter.html?highlight=5GH-13440-50-00

I'll go with the K&N 204 around $10-13 on Amazon. Yeah, there's markup on filters. If I actually paid $3 for one I'd have a hard time trusting it lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#12 ·
That dude gets a bonus for selling that particular oil.

You've never been a salesman have you?

#13 ·
Got a deal on Royal Purple for $ 5 a quart.

Have used synthetics on my antique bikes ( 50 to 100 years old ) because it smokes less and plugs stay cleaner.

Reactions: MrJD410
#17 ·
I work on some old school cars too... very old. Make sure your oil have plenty of zinc in it. Or use additive. I use Lucas zinc additive in some cars, suppose to be for "break in period" but I was told by reliable source to use it every oil change.

I also add some Lead additive in gas instead of buying race fuel @ $12/gal.

Oil co don't use much now because it clog up CAT but zinc work good on old school stuff.

#15 · (Edited)
Personally I love synthetics

Blond Bikini Vehicle Fictional character

#34 ·
#19 ·
Just wondering when and to what oil you guys are planning on using after break in or from now on.
I'll answer your "when?" question, seems like some others may have glazed over that part. :p

I changed my oil at 300km to Motul 5100 semi-synth 10W40. (Break-in was done in the first night of riding, did 70km first ride)
Ran that until 1500km then switched to Amsoil (full synth) 10W40.
I will continue to change with Amsoil as per the recommendation in the owners manual.

#20 ·
My Yamaha dealership offers you a choice of Yamalube mineral oil or Silkolene full synthetic if you don't bring your own. After my initial break in service I had them put in the Silkolene full synth. I will likely keep on running it or an equivalent from Bel Ray, Motul, Motorex, Repsol, or Maxima (whichever I can get the best deal on at the time).

#24 ·
Actually is my first time intent to using synthetic oil on my bikes! ,the fz has now 5900 miles using regular yamalube 10w40 and my Honda 919 11000 miles with Honda regular oil gn4.
I will follow your advice on Mobil 1 T4 for my 919 and Motul 300 for the fz, I will let you know my results.
I really appreciate you answer,thanks!

#27 ·
I run Amsoil in all bikes I have ever owned never had an issue little pricey but cant say anything bad....oil is really personal preference as long as it meets the OEM specs its not much different......NOW if you want a REAL race oil that is used in 150k -250k engines and you can spare the $$$ look at DRIVEN race oil....its developed and owned by Joe Gibbs of nascar among MX racing.....if Hendrick motorsports runs this in their engines....well yeah its good enough for anything. But 20$ a quart is expensive.

Just some food for thought

#29 ·
Motul 300V is great stuff, but bear in mind it is a pure racing oil, and thus lacks the detergent package that street-based oils have. Racing oils are intended to be changed far more frequently than oils designed for street duty. I believe Motul 7100 4T is considered their top-of-the-line synthetic street oil.

#30 ·
I was always told to run standard MFR oil for initial breakin, then up to at least 3000 miles (5000 km). Then swap to synthetic, run 600 miles (1000 km), and do a synthetic break in oil change. After that do regular oil changes with the synthetic. ???

#31 ·
Rotella T6 5W-40 here, and yes, it is JASO-MA rated :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.