Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really am having a hard time deciding to sell my bike. I feel like I'm going to crash when I'm on it (have never had a problem, but I still feel this way). If you saw me ride the Sportster, I look like someone riding a bike. Inside I'm ready to kiss the ground when I get off the thing.

I have three dealers willing to give me $4700 for the bike. That's not bad considering I got a great deal on it last year and won't be losing too much.

I would prefer a cash deal so I could get something used, but I haven't had much luck selling this thing privately. If I traded the bike, I would have to get a new bike. They do have used bikes, but they are seriously overpriced. These dealers have some of the best new prices in the country on Kawi, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda.

I ride with a group of people, some highways, not many. Mostly back roads. I would prefer something light. Even now with the FZ, my husband has to back the thing out of the garage. With really light bikes (the Suzuki S40 I had was 380 lbs) I can get the bike out of the garage and didn't have to use the rear brake on hills when stopped at lights. I can maneuver my Sportster around my garage a lot easier than I can the FZ because the Harley is lower, but that's not enough reason to keep it.

Here's what I'm thinking:
(1) Ninja 300
(2) Ninja 650 (I've heard some bad reviews and this is a heavier bike, around 460 lbs)
(3) Yamaha FZ6R (also a heavier bike, I don't love the single headlight)
(4) GSXR600 using the lower power mode

I would like something that looks like a supersport. I don't care if it has the power. I was leaning towards the Ninja 300 for that reason, but don't know it if will feel anemic which is why I was considering the FZ6R, but it has the added weight. Man, this is driving me crazy. I think I need to move on this though before the Harley gets another year older.

(Another issue I have is that I went to Harley and I can't stand the new Sportster, it's like your knees are in your eyes. My inseam is 31 1/2 and for a new Sportster, it seems like they are built for 25 inch inseams. My Sportster is one of the most comfortable Harleys I have been on. I do like Harleys and if I get rid of this one, in my head I don't know if I will find another that fits as well as this one does. But, I don't ride the bike at all. It sits in the garage. UGH!!)

Thanks for the patience and advice.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Sorry that you're reconsidering Jen but it's best to throw in the towel sooner rather than later if you're not comfortable. The trade in value i guess is on par with what you would get at a dealer but you should relaly try selling it on your own. Guys are getting at least $7,000 on here judging by the for sale posts - not sure how much you care about an extra $3k but for a little more work that's a big pay off IMO. I sold my first bike privately (first time ever) and it was really not that much of a hassle. Put in on craigslist got my asking price 5 days after the ad was up - guy drove up from PA to get it into his truck. I created a little sell document in word that covered basic stuff like vin number, mileage, condition, him taking it as is, not responsible for transportation of the bike home etc. (I believe you're a laywer so i'm sure you have a grasp on what to put there). THe guy signed the paper, i signed the title, got the cash and went right to the Yamaha dealership to buy the FZ - it was pretty painless.

Also take a look at SV650 (faired not naked) or even the new FZ07

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
A GSXR? Stop it. That is a terrible idea. The 300 is really the only choice worth considering. The other two are much heavier than the 09, and considering your stature, that would be another loss.

$4700 is terrible. They will screw you on the front end, and on the back end with the markup on another bike. I paid $7800 OTD for my 09, and I would consider $4700 a slap in the face. That is a $3k loss... I'd be patient. What is your current mileage and asking price. It takes months to sell a bike, but they do sell when they are well maintained. If you are in a hurry, it will hurt your pocketbook. Being in a hurry always does.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The big issue is finding something light enough for you to feel in control -- Have you looked at the New FZ-07...??? The Ninja 300 may work, but I'd stay way from the 2013's due to massive ECU Recall. Used 2014 Ninja 300's go for mid $4000's. But I think you'll agree, there's Something Special about These FZ's :cool:

Reactions: ktk_ace and Horsman

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I paid $4500 for the Harley and listed it for $5600. I put some money into it, not a ton. I have had it on Craig's list for a few weeks. Nothing. I would need 5k private to take into consideration the tax.

The Ninja 300 would be $4300 with no freight or prep. I would have to pay for a truck to get the Harley there, so that's like another $300.

This is making me nuts. And, I'm making my husband nuts in the process. I could just pay cash for a 300 since I would like a bike I can get out of the garage without asking him for help (I don't as much because of this..seriously). He would get on my case if there was another bike in the garage without getting rid of one. He says he doesn't care if I ask him, but I don't like being dependent on someone. The Camaro is in the garage and I can't drive it for that reason either (it's a tight garage and he's much better backing it out).

I start working again in September (yeah, used to be a lawyer, not teaching). The cash flow will start again so I don't have to sell the bike for money reasons. Part of me doesn't want to sell the Harley since I love Harleys and don't think I could get another one for the price I paid for this one in the shape it's in (perfect).

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
You are selling the Hardly... That wasnt real clear.

Is it worth what you are asking? You are asking $1k more than.what you paid, and aftermarket parts don't really add value.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
There is No Financial justification for keeping the Harley. It will always be heavy and powerful...

A slightly used Ninja300 may save you $600-800....But your Heart could really fall for the FZ-07....just saying.

What will put the Biggest Smile on your face........?????????

Life is Too Short to think otherwise:sign13:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sell the Harley and take whatever you can get for it. If you want to get something even sportier than the FZ09 (even if it's in look only) then your best bet is to get the Ninja 300 or Honda CBR300R. I think the 300R will be the best fit for you because it forces you to do things that you should be doing to get the most out of any sporty bike. Like most 600s, it has no power at lower RPM and you have to take it to higher RPMs (approximately 75% of the way or so to redline) just to make usable power. Riding a bike that has this trait will be healthy for you, I think, because that riding style also carries over into getting the most out of your FZ.

The 650R would be totally redundant. It has NO advantage whatsoever over the FZ09 other than a windscreen. It's heavier, has less power, and has the same upright ergonomics. FZ6R as well. The GSXR (and other supersports) would be the absolute worst bike you can get. They are designed differently from the ground up and can not be ridden in the way you like. They are much harder to control because of how the different ergonomics change the handling, especially at lower speeds, and all these racetrack focused riding techniques are pretty much musts when riding that.

·
Registered
570 Posts
A GSXR? Stop it. That is a terrible idea. The 300 is really the only choice worth considering. The other two are much heavier than the 09, and considering your stature, that would be another loss.

$4700 is terrible. They will screw you on the front end, and on the back end with the markup on another bike. I paid $7800 OTD for my 09, and I would consider $4700 a slap in the face. That is a $3k loss... I'd be patient. What is your current mileage and asking price. It takes months to sell a bike, but they do sell when they are well maintained. If you are in a hurry, it will hurt your pocketbook. Being in a hurry always does.
She's talking about getting $4700 for her Harley, not the FZ.

The Kelley Blue Book on a 2006 Sportster 1200 Low is $3,725 for a trade-in, $5,125 is the retail price buying it from a dealer. Based on that, $4700 sounds very fair. Dealers will buy bikes outright, they'd prefer a trade so they can make more money on the deal, but they will buy a bike.

Jen, have you tried selling the bike to a Harley dealer?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Jen, I really think you should test ride a supersport before you even CONSIDER putting money down on one. I really don't think they're anything even REMOTELY close to what you have come to expect from motorcycles in general in terms of how they steer and ride. I really don't think you have even the slightest clue of how they operate, no offense, and they're so extremely different from everything else on 2 wheels in terms of how you have to ride them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The little ninjas are great bikes. Light and very easy to flick around. I haven't ridden the cbr but honda makes great, very reliable bikes. There are lots of used ninjas around as folks by them as young men. Buy them and then sell for a bigger bike very quickly. I would look at Craig's list - and be patient.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The little ninjas are great bikes. Light and very easy to flick around. I haven't ridden the cbr but honda makes great, very reliable bikes. There are lots of used ninjas around as folks by them as young men. Buy them and then sell for a bigger bike very quickly. I would look at Craig's list - and be patient.
Many, many used Ninja250's for sale......Not so many Ninja300's as it's a new model. Be careful with the 2013 Ninja300's because of the Universal ECU Recall. I heard it was a nightmare.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There is also the cbr500 now too. Might be worth adding to the list of bikes to look at. Sounds like you need to build some confidence moving the bike around too. I would suggest taking the fz09 to a big parking lot with your husband and just push it around for a while. Find one with a gentle slope and just get used to moving it until you are comfortable with the weight and balance of the bike on different slopes. Have him there if you are nervous about dropping it. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I just sold my FZ6R (has been my only bike so listen with caution). My one complaint was vibrations at highway speeds. Sounds like that isn't an issue for you since you said you are mostly on backroads. But if the big issue with your FZ 09 is its weight, I don't think you should waste the time/money trying a fz6r. IIRC they are very similar in weights.

Are there other things aside from weight that are turning you off of the 09?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
realize now you're talking about the harley - i think we've had a few threads about this already no? Sounds like you need to flip a coin and pull the trigger or keep it Jen :)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you want a faired bike and were seriously considering the Ninja 300, may I divert your attention to the KTM RC390...it should hopefully follow the Duke 390 that is supposed to be coming this fall according to Cycle World. I had the 200 Duke and it was way better on every front than the Honda CBR250R and the Ninja 250 too- and track tests proved the naked better on the track than the faired rivals. I can only imagine what the fully faired RCs will do. Only problem is, you may have to wait a while.
But if you love the Harley, keep it. if you don't, get rid of it. Simple, no?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I meant the Harley, not the FZ! I love the FZ-09, best bike out there right now. I bought the FZ-09 based on reviews since you can't test ride them here. I would be doing the same on any other bike so that's why I'm taking so long with this. The FZ-07 is not the best looking bike to me.

The Harley dealer offered me $3200 for the bike on a trade. I don't want another Harley right now. The other bike that I like there is a Dyna Wide Glide, all 18k of it! Not happening any time soon.

I would need 5k private to get the equivalent of the $4700 from the dealer. The used Ninja 300s are much more than the new ones.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jen, I really think you should test ride a supersport before you even CONSIDER putting money down on one. I really don't think they're anything even REMOTELY close to what you have come to expect from motorcycles in general in terms of how they steer and ride. I really don't think you have even the slightest clue of how they operate, no offense, and they're so extremely different from everything else on 2 wheels in terms of how you have to ride them.
I would LOVE to test ride a supersport. It seems the only way to ride one is to buy one.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm so confused.

Why would you want a Wide Glide if you feel terrible on a Sportster?

Honestly, you seem all over the map, and you seem to contradict yourself.

What do you want in a bike? Not what bike do you want, but what do you want in a bike? They are mutually exclusive in some cases.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts