Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you who have been down on your FZ09 / MT09 what bike protection mods (framesliders, cage, swing arm sliders, exct) did you have and how did they hold up / do their job?

I ask because I lowsided with SW Motech frame sliders at less than 20 mph and still managed to scuff up my lower left engine case. by comparison I have highsided my SV650 at 80mph with frame sliders and did zero damage to the engine. basically before spending more money on bike armor im wondering what products work as advertised for the FZ09. in particular has anyone tried the stunt cage pictured in a couple threads on here?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
i only had axle sliders and bark busters, the axle sliders didn't touch the ground. left engine case got scratched up (drag marks).
Best protection was insurance.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
for those of you who have been down on your FZ09 / MT09 what bike protection mods (framesliders, cage, swing arm sliders, exct) did you have and how did they hold up / do their job?

I ask because I lowsided with SW Motech frame sliders at less than 20 mph and still managed to scuff up my lower left engine case. by comparison I have highsided my SV650 at 80mph with frame sliders and did zero damage to the engine. basically before spending more money on bike armor im wondering what products work as advertised for the FZ09. in particular has anyone tried the stunt cage pictured in a couple threads on here?
I like the cage . Good to know the frame sliders didn't do anything .the mototech skid plate doesn't look like it would help much on a low side..
You sound like me on a dirt bike , wrecking all the time. What gear do you wear ?
I'm new to street grew up on dirt .

·
Registered
957 Posts
Engine case protectors are a bigger deal with this bike than others because of how far the stator and clutch covers stick out. There really aren't any frame slider options that will keep the lower half of them safe

·
Registered
213 Posts
+1 on what weapon zero said, if you want to protect the engine cases you need case sliders. The frame sliders are intended to protect the frame from damage. Many of the case sliders cost more than a replacement case, but they can mean the difference between being able to ride the bike home vs. towing it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
+2 on engine case protection. I haven't been down on my FZ (knock on wood) but I do have GB Racing engine guards and Woodcraft frame sliders.

SV650 vs FZ09 is like apples and oranges. The SV has a very narrow engine, and the FZ has a very wide engine. You'd be hard pressed to touch an engine case on the SV.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Subscribe

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looking into engine case covers, sounds like nobody has actually tried the stunt cage. for the poster asking about my riding background, I also started in the dirt, but have been riding street almost 30 years now. I cant tell you how many times ive been down in the dirt (more than once a day for a decade). Ive been down 5 times on pavement, 3 my fault, 2 not my fault. both of the not at faults were sitting at red lights and got rear ended. the 3 that were my fault were throwing the SV into a 15mph corner at 80 and failing to ride out the slide, and being a little too heavy handed on the throttle on the FZ while hitting a patch of ice between lanes of travel (I knew better), and the last was in my 1st 6 months of converting from dirt to street when I was 16, just being a stupid 16 year old and ego grew much faster than actual riding ability. Anyway the recovery time from the highside combined with my 40+ year old body convinced me it was time to get a grown up bike. couldn't quiet pull the trigger on a bagger so hello FZ09 with aftermarket touring equipment (basicly making an FJ09 for 3500 less than buying it that way from Yamaha)
as for gear, im all gear most of the time. full armor and leathers in my highside or I wouldn't be here now. in the lowside armored jacket (Kilimanjaro), first gear carbon gloves, rf1100 helmet, boots, and jeans. everything held up except a small hole in the jeans. my work is 3.5 miles from home, stupid I know, but I took the calculated risk and it bit me.I rode it home after, it wasn't bad by any means, just mad to have scuffed up my brand new bike with nothing to blame but myself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have T-Rex full kit except I used Woodcraft frame sliders. Low sided on left side and all I got was minor scratches in clear coat on tank.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lol +1 gunpup

The Trex kit looks the part. I might have to look into them.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you have a look at this ebay add for a FZ-09 engine for sale. The Yamaha engine case guards look like they worked pretty good.

14 Yamaha FZ 09 FZ09 FZ9 Engine Motor 14E | eBay

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

I also have a set of SW-Motech Frame Sliders, but added a set of the Yamaha engine case guards. I had a $100 coupon from the dealer I bought me bike at, so figured they were worth trying.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Frame sliders are designed to protect the frame, not the engine case. Scratched engine case = simple repair. Scratched frame = totaled bike.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have the full T-Rex package. Frame slider and engine case protection. I haven't test it yet, hope it stays that way :) I also have the axle sliders.

I figure it was good insurance for track days...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts