Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's it like? I can't even conceive of such a thing! Another guy mentioned this in another thread, and it intrigued me. Sometime it rains so hard for days straight...I certainly wouldn't want to ride then...but you have no choice...how do you cope? What about shopping and getting groceries, etc? How do you get things home that you can't carry on the bike?

Lastly, is this just a financial choice? Would you get a car if you could?...or do just love your bike that much?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
many years ago I had only motorcycles for transportation...it was by choice also..I had no use for a car....I had 3 bikes and no cars....if it rained, you got wet......other than that, nothing really strange about it...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You could find some Hells Angels or other 1% ers and ask. Kidding. Yeah, don't know what they do when it snows.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My first vehicle in High School was a bike. Rain or shine I rode. Gas was $0.99 a gallon and my insurance was $40 per month. It saved me enough money to be able to buy my first truck.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Between 1988 and 1991 I had a motorcycle but no car. I lived in town and could walk to the grocery store. I took the bus during the winter to get to work. There was a self storage place near my apartment that I used for a garage. I saved a ton of money. When I bought my house in the country, I broke down and bought a car too, only because I had to. Lived the dream for a while there.

·
Registered
957 Posts
What's it like? I can't even conceive of such a thing! Another guy mentioned this in another thread, and it intrigued me. Sometime it rains so hard for days straight...I certainly wouldn't want to ride then...but you have no choice...how do you cope? What about shopping and getting groceries, etc? How do you get things home that you can't carry on the bike?

Lastly, is this just a financial choice? Would you get a car if you could?...or do just love your bike that much?
I live in a city where the public transit system is good enough to not need a car. So the only vehicle I have, my bike, is purely for pleasure.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Been cageless for 3 years now. My wife drive the car but I daily commute on the cycle. I still have the FZ6R with full hard case so it keep most of my things dry. Living in FL kind of help but still evem if it would be nice sometime to ride the cage, I can't justify spending 25K on a car I would use once in a blue moon. If I really need to I have a F-150 at work I can use.

·
Registered
511 Posts
In the eighties I had a brand new bike and a pos car. Priorities you know. I rode all year round as long as there was no ice on the road. I remember one night riding home at 17 degrees F. Too old now but back in the day...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use the FZ every day as my primary 60 miles round trip for work. Have 7,500 miles so far and the Michelin 2ct's I put on at 5k are doing excellent for it. I personally don't enjoy commuting on bikes, simply because I wanna take a left and head to the twisties EVERY time! Instead of working ten hours. I love being on the bike so much, It's like carpooling with an old friend every day. Haha a friend with 107hp to the rear wheel ;)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

Not surprising to me, at all. Reasons are many.

The short version: The main reason is that I believe in enjoying my journey (even a commute) every single day of my life. It's not reserved just for weekends or trackdays, or a vacation. Motorcycling is a huge part of my life. Just like design is. I believe that life is too precious to do things that I dont enjoy doing (like commuting in public transport or even be stuck in traffic in a car). That's why I ride. To make every moment enjoyable.

The long version:
I live in a city with possibly the best public transport in the world- even though I feel it is inadequate the further you get away from Manhattan. Before getting a bike here, we just used the train. People even carry things like mattresses on trains here- so...or you have many services now- local taxis, hailo, uber, u-hauls- many options that cost money.

The bike is equipped with a topcase for grocery (apart from two-up city and touring) duties. It actually helps keep a strict check on how much we buy (once) every week and reduce wastage- I am a pretty green person that way. I hate the wastage of food and resources I see all around me. And since we both hate general shopping, we order a lot of stuff online.

I am from India- we normally depend on personal transport there mostly though a lot get by with public transport too. When I started driving the family car, I enjoyed getting into the zone, listening to music, having flexibility to do more activities without worrying about when the next bus will be or how much a cab will cost me. Once I started motorcycling some 12+ years ago, there was no looking back. It transports me to a zone where I am at peace even in a traffic jam or even if I just had a close call. Rains never bothered me- always had rain gear and enjoy the empty streets with slower, more cautious traffic. The KTM that I had could even wade through knee-deep water without the fear of stalling it! And we never had snow. This past winter n NYC with the polar vortex, I cursed the days there was ice on the streets when I had to suck it up and take the train. But it was about 10/12 days at most all winter.

The bike is actually more expensive than getting a unlimited subway card for about $125 here- with EMI and insurance (and monthly farkles + gas) it is between $250-300. But, as I said, peace of mind and enjoying what I am doing is more important and we are making it work together financially. We are able to go to more places more easily without having to rent cars or wait for 2 -3 transfers, take vacations and most importantly, enjoy life (and have a better quality of life because of that).

I don't think I would get a car for the city. Maybe when I move somewhere else when it becomes a absolute necessity- but to convince me of that would be really hard. To get me off two wheels is a near impossible task- unless, of course, someone hands me the keys of a Lambo or a Ferrari or even a Impreza WRX! ;)

Biker for life!

·
Registered
168 Posts
i would only have a bike but dont think it has enough torque to pull my boat to the lake.

Winter would be too hard also u would have to live in a warm state to have only a bike as transportation everyone else has no other options but to have a vehicle.

And think God i dont live in the city and have to provide my own transportation no matter what it is.

·
Registered
570 Posts
From 1991 through 1995, I only had my Hawk GT in Southern California, rode 47,000 miles in 4 years, it was absolutely fantastic!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
When i first started out it was mostly financial, but i continued for the next 6 seasons because i really didn't need a car. In the winter i walked everywhere i needed to go. It wasn't until i took a job on the other side of the harbour (10 kms away) that i finally broke down and bought a car.
Things i've carried on the bike:
Beer! (duh)
Fishing gear
Picture frames
Computer tower
Motorcycle tires
Tons of groceries (literally)
Claim to fame because i only had a motorcycle:
First motorcycle through the Moosehead cold beer drive thru! lol!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been bike only most of my life, just fell into a car last year I literally couldn't turn down (my grandmothers, she passed, and my mother, who's also now passed insisted I buy the car)
and I do currently have a truck on extended loan from freinds who moved cross country, but I really don't consider it mine. It sits in my driveway until they come back here to vegas, then they use it.

I ride every day, every where. Had a motorcycle endorsement since '88 or so

Car is only for carrying multiples of people or dog.
Truck is for hauling bikes when necessary.

I hate driving, a bike is infinitly more nimble, so in a cage I'm constrained and always raging out then telling myself to chill. On a bike, I zip by the morons so they can't kill me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The wife and I had only bikes untill the kids came along, never realy found time or a need for a car, we camped most weekend on the bike.

After the kids showed up the car became handy, I could drive the one block to the beach with my surfboard, I no longer needed to walk.

I was happy to come straight out of the salt water climb into my car in a wetsuit, I would never do that to my bikes.

Coming from the land down under weather is no big problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in Florida and commute year round. I have 2 jeeps but rarely use them. One is 4x4 lifted etc , I use it to take my 4 year old son fishing, off road etc, my other jeep is 2wd and its a backup or used just to drive my son around.

Other than that my daily driver is my buell Ulysses with hard luggage. She does it all and gets 40 mpg better than my jeeps do. It rains a lot here in Florida, when it does I put the rain suit on a suck it up.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's your rain gear like? Is it petty much a full body poncho? How small does it pack up?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I could afford a decent bike when I was 18, but not a decent car. Didn't have a family car I could borrow, so I didn't put much effort into learning to drive, bit I could buy my own bike, and BAM! I was mobile. This was in 1996.
I was young and single, if it didn't fit in a backpack I didn't need it. If I needed big stuff moved, I paid for delivery, or paid mates with utes in beer.
Got a learners permit when my wife was pregnant with our first daughter so I could drive her to the hospital, 2008.
Finally got my actual licence just before our second daughter was due, 2012. I still prefer to be on a bike in the rain than a car when it's sunny. I love riding- my dad rode (I have the receipt for his vincent black shadow), my brother rides, and aunts and uncles and cousins also ride/rode.
Now I'm older, my wet weather great is better, and I use a top box instead of a backpack. Australia is year round riding.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Just saw the most recent question, Luke.
I've got waterproof hiking over pants, similar to goretex, but breathes a bit better in Australian weather. I roll them up into a small kids pencil case. Always use them, in a small shower or torrential downpour. Also use a small spray jacket which was the waterproof lining from an old mesh jacket, but it fits over my a stars leather jacket. It's brilliant for "just in case" it rains.
When it's pissing down, a dainese goretex jacket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Haha, if I'm not going somewhere that needs me looking like a human I'll leave the rain gear off. Riding in the rain and getting drenched is adventurish and fun :p

1 - 20 of 40 Posts