Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out riding today without my husband because he didn't feel like it. I started riding last August. I was on my bike in the winter as long as there wasn't ice on the ground. My husband has around 400 miles so far on the Shadow that I got him for Christmas. So, either I have been riding with my husband or with this pack of Harleys that we hang around with.

I was alone for one of the first times with this bike. Oh, and there was some guy in a car who decided he wanted to race me. I was definitely leaning on the bike and realized that the guy was racing me. We approached another light and I decided there was no way this guy was going ahead of me in the merge. I like fast cars and tend to drive like an idiot, but haven't translated that to the bike. Man, the bike took off like a bat out of hell and I nearly redlined it in first. He was gone and the bike was like a mile ahead of him in seconds. I had the time of my life riding this thing. In B mode. I can't even imagine what this would be like in A or Standard. If I am going to learn how to ride this bike, I need to get out myself instead of having my husband follow me.

This bike is sick. I also took out my Sportster for the first time since I got the FZ. In all fairness, the Sportster oozes torque and takes off and roars. Something was so wrong about the ride though. After maybe a few miles of just riding around, I put it right back in the garage and got the Yamaha. Now, the Harley looks great and all that, but I had no desire to ride it. I had the FZ out the rest of the day. This bike is so much fun. I'm looking forward to summer and riding every day.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Man, the bike took off like a bat out of hell and I nearly redlined it in first. He was gone and the bike was like a mile ahead of him in seconds. I had the time of my life riding this thing.
Such a hooligan! ;) Great reading, by the way.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I wonder HOW you would have ridden an FZ-07 or a Ninja300 after that joy ride on the FZ-09.....???

I'd like to get Your impressions of those two smaller bikes at the end of the day :p

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has been a transformation. I even have race leathers and boots. I am going to have the MOCO coming at me with a torch.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder HOW you would have ridden an FZ-07 or a Ninja300 after that joy ride on the FZ-09.....???

I'd like to get Your impressions of those two smaller bikes at the end of the day :p
I'm starting to think I'm going to be wasting my time with anything but this bike. I'm curious what a bike with fairing is like, something that looks like a super sport, even if it has no power. The FZ-07 doesn't seem like it would make sense, I'm not interested. If I had another Yamaha, it would be an R6 or an FZ1, or an older FZ6, but the FZ-09 is more than enough for now. The Ninja 300 would be about me pretending that I'm riding a super sport.

Reactions: MoFZio and Horsman

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm not advocating street racing, but..., practice brisk starts before putting a car in its place. You can practice 2 things at once.

Find a place in the sticks with a straight, good clean pavement and no traffic in sight. From a comfortable speed, 50 or so, practice emergency stops. I won't go into the technique, but ease into it, start with your normal braking and each time stop in a bit shorter distance.

Now you are stopped, you can practice your brisk take offs. ;) Again, gradually build up from what you are comfortable with, B mode wheelies are easy too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, taking off is not an issue. I'm hoping not to wheelie, seriously, no desire. If it happens by accident, so be it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to wheelie.

I'm going to take the next MSF BRC II class that is offered in PA so I can practice the emergency stops on this bike. I have done it with my other bikes in parking lots, so I'm okay with the idea. This bike stops so much better than anything I have ever been on. I love the immediacy of the brakes. This bike in general is so much better than anything I have owned previously or have had a chance to ride.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm not advocating street racing, but..., practice brisk starts before putting a car in its place. You can practice 2 things at once.

Find a place in the sticks with a straight, good clean pavement and no traffic in sight. From a comfortable speed, 50 or so, practice emergency stops. I won't go into the technique, but ease into it, start with your normal braking and each time stop in a bit shorter distance.

Now you are stopped, you can practice your brisk take offs. ;) Again, gradually build up from what you are comfortable with, B mode wheelies are easy too.
Great idea; But I've always been told to start at 25-30 mph and gradually move up the speed ladder every day I choose to do this. Nothing better than to practice Emergency Quick Stops.

Reactions: cyberrang

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, fastest I've stopped (emergency stops) has been at MSF or in a parking lot at like 15 mph. Doing this at 50 mph...wow. I'm ready to if I have to. I don't know how you would practice that without crashing, but maybe you build up to it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Jen, revisit post #9 here;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes take the MSF BRC II, and build up the speed at which you are comfortable practicing your braking.

But the goal is to be able to comfortably and reflexively do a controlled hard stop from the fastest speed you commonly ride.

I didn't mean the 09 will do 132mph so practice stopping from that lol.

Parking lot practice is good, but not he same thing as highway speed. If nothing else at 70mph it's a lot more intimidating.

·
Registered
555 Posts

Steve, I think you joined up on kawasakininja300.com just recently? Good site mate, and you will find heaps of info there about the little 300. Super fun bike to ride and fun pricetag to go with. My username is jeff.

I'm starting to think I'm going to be wasting my time with anything but this bike. I'm curious what a bike with fairing is like, something that looks like a super sport, even if it has no power. The FZ-07 doesn't seem like it would make sense, I'm not interested. If I had another Yamaha, it would be an R6 or an FZ1, or an older FZ6, but the FZ-09 is more than enough for now. The Ninja 300 would be about me pretending that I'm riding a super sport.
The 300 was a fantastic bike to ride. Nowhere on any type of comparison with the 09, but a different type of machine all together. It really loves to be ridden hard, and high in the rpm though. However is a proven little motor. Personally I would be checking out the R3 that Yamaha will be releasing soon, will be much better quality if my previous Kawasaki vs Yamaha bikes are anything to base off. Honda as far as I know is also redoing the CBR250 and bringing up the displacement a bit to 286cc. Still a single cylinder thumper though.

I had that bike for about 18 months just to get familiarised with riding again after quite a long spell without a bike, and found myself enjoying it far more than I ever had anticipated. I wasnt even looking for an upgrade when I picked up the 09.......I really didnt need one as the 300 can do everything a bigger bike can do........except go super fast. Acceleration was surprising. Sound was disappointing though lol........I am just not a fan of parallel twin motors at all. The stock exhaust was quiet, but sounds pretty good for a twin. And does look like a far bigger bike than what it is.............people often mistook it for a 600.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Steve, I think you joined up on kawasakininja300.com just recently? Good site mate, and you will find heaps of info there about the little 300. Super fun bike to ride and fun pricetag to go with. My username is jeff.

The 300 was a fantastic bike to ride. Nowhere on any type of comparison with the 09, but a different type of machine all together. It really loves to be ridden hard, and high in the rpm though. However is a proven little motor. Personally I would be checking out the R3 that Yamaha will be releasing soon, will be much better quality if my previous Kawasaki vs Yamaha bikes are anything to base off. Honda as far as I know is also redoing the CBR250 and bringing up the displacement a bit to 286cc. Still a single cylinder thumper though.

I had that bike for about 18 months just to get familiarised with riding again after quite a long spell without a bike, and found myself enjoying it far more than I ever had anticipated. I wasnt even looking for an upgrade when I picked up the 09.......I really didnt need one as the 300 can do everything a bigger bike can do........except go super fast. Acceleration was surprising. Sound was disappointing though lol........I am just not a fan of parallel twin motors at all. The stock exhaust was quiet, but sounds pretty good for a twin. And does look like a far bigger bike than what it is.............people often mistook it for a 600.
I'd like to add a smaller bike to beat up on & refine my skills....I like the CBR250, the Ninja300, and now like the R3 twice as much as the other two -- This addiction gets worse Every Day.....!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
R3??? Swingarm and Exhaust look familiar so does the clutch basket and brake pistons, rotors and rims. Oh my,

YAMAHA YZF R3 900.jpg

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
That R3 is a damn fine looking bike. I think they got one up on Kawi there.
I've never owned a Kawasaki.......have always "felt" (it's me...not them, lol) that Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki for that matter, had a leg up on them in terms of Fit & Finish.......but since I've never owned one, what do I know....

I wonder when we'll see the R3 in The USA.... It's got to be soon since Kawasaki 300's are brought in by the boatload and selling almost as fast....new the new CBR300 will sell well this summer -- several dealers claim sales of the CRB250 have come to an abrupt stop...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
several dealers claim sales of the CRB250 have come to an abrupt stop...
I have followed the CBR250R sales at a number of dealers near my home and traded one for my FZ-09 back in October, very shortly before Honda announced discontinuing the 250 in favor of the CBR300R. The new leftover models appear to sell OK with deep discounting, not moving until the reduced price is around $3,000 or lower for 2012 models and not much more for 2013s. When dealers insist on selling anywhere near list price, with an exception here or there, I suspect you are correct.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts