Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15_fj-09tra_red_s3_cmyk_lores.jpg

We’re not at all surprised to see new variations on the FZ-09’s fantastic three-cylinder engine, but the FJ-09 isn’t exactly where we expected Yamaha to go. Where the FZ is your basic naked streetfighter, the FJ is an interesting ADV/light tourer crossover, intended to do many things for many riders. We have, of course, rumored this bike to death; but we can now confirm it’s for real. We’re sitting in Hollywood looking right at it.

Based on a lightly modified FZ-09 chassis (click here to read the FZ-09 First Ride), the FJ has longer-travel suspension, a much taller set of handlebar risers (that can be swapped to change bar reach by 10mm), a two-position adjustable seat, and an angular fairing that features an adjustable windscreen by 30mm. The bike feels roomier than the FZ-09, with ergonomics that seem ideal for longer days on the road. ABS will be standard on the model brought to the US, as will switchable traction control. The instrument cluster is the same as used in the current Super Ténéré, with a multi-function panel in addition to a digital speedometer and bar-graph tach. Those squinty twin headlights are LEDs, with the bulbs housed at the center of the reflectors.

Power comes from an unmodified version of the FZ-09’s 847cc liquid-cooled triple. The FJ will have the same ride modes as the FZ, though we expect the calibration to be different considering the more touring-intended audience. Speaking of touring, there are optional hard saddlebags and a rack to receive a tail trunk; the inside portion of the bags are very similar to the FJR1300’s, though the lids are thinner, reducing both bike width and overall capacity. A centerstand comes standard.

Pricing? $10,490. It should be available in December, so Yamaha says, with a full set of accessories hitting the shelves at the same time.

15spbk_fj09_gray_b2.jpg

sauce: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | FIRST LOOK | Motorcyclist

·
Registered
473 Posts
from what I read they used the same frame. I'm wondering about the sub frame and seat? Will it interchange with current FZ09? this looks like a very comfortable seat.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I think I might prefer over my FZ, but there's zero chance I'll trade mine after doing all the Mod's I felt were necessary. Also, I find the thought of losing any money on my Rapid Red Beauty nauseating. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
My guess is that it is destined to be another big hit for Yamaha.

Reactions: redrider

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Based on a lightly modified FZ-09 chassis (click here to read the FZ-09 First Ride), the FJ has longer-travel suspension,..." <-- Looking on the Yamaha website, they list the same suspension info for both bikes. (5.4 front, 5.1 rear)

·
Registered
616 Posts
If I weren't so close to making my FZ how I want it, I'd seriously consider the FJ. I've got an old, banged-up FZ gas tank that I'm playing with now in an effort to carry extra gas. After that, there's an aluminum pannier set sitting on the shelf (for about five years) that needs to be finished. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
from what I read they used the same frame. I'm wondering about the sub frame and seat? Will it interchange with current FZ09? this looks like a very comfortable seat.
I thought about it too but looks like everything is raised...the gas tank has an extra infill between the frame and itself- the new subframe raises seat height and seat rests on tank like the FZ07 now.

Wonder if they fixed the shock? If so, what the cost would be and if it would bolt on to my FZ????
I am sure Yamaha accounted for the extra weight that is going to go on the bike. And if they did, that suspension could be the easiest plug-and play for those who want something stiffer.

If I weren't so close to making my FZ how I want it, I'd seriously consider the FJ. I've got an old, banged-up FZ gas tank that I'm playing with now in an effort to carry extra gas. After that, there's an aluminum pannier set sitting on the shelf (for about five years) that needs to be finished. Time will tell.
Same here. The only thing that I wont be ever able to modify the same way is that seat- its wider, flatter, esp for the passenger. Other things are really nice things to have- esp that gas tank.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The motorcycle is listed as 4 inches longer. I am wondering if the swingarm is 4 inches longer with the same mount points just a different shock attachment points.
Possibly it could be utilized for drag racer quarter mile use. That mt-09 T racer name is still making me feel this triple is race bound somewhere.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
The motorcycle is listed as 4 inches longer. I am wondering if the swingarm is 4 inches longer with the same mount points just a different shock attachment points.
Possibly it could be utilized for drag racer quarter mile use. That mt-09 T racer name is still making me feel this triple is race bound somewhere.
The wheelbase is listed as the same...so the extra length must come from the longer tail section and plate mount.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think this is going to be hot seller like the fz09. Why.. It's too much $$$. FZ was all about cheap and light weight.
Fj09 is neither.
Best thing is buy fz09, put windshield, baggage and save extra $$ for Penske and racetech stuff. Only thing missing would be abs, traction control, bigger tank

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I don't this this is going to be hot seller like the fz09. Why.. It's too much $$$. FZ was all about cheap and light weight.
Fj09 is neither.
Don't bet money on that. There's already a lot of interest at the dealers. For the competition, the price is right. The FZ-09's pricing was/is an anomaly in the market place.

·
Registered
644 Posts
They have 2 of the new FJ's going around on the Progressive motorcycle show. A basic grey one and a dressed up red one.

I had a sit on the red one and as usual, they are hard to get on because of the bags. The bike is definitely taller, I could just tiptoe to the ground both sides with my short 29" inseam. The suspension feels the same as a stock FZ - so if you are trading in, swap the stock shock back in, hang onto your Penske or...

I did like the seat on the FJ better than the FZ and while the grey bike had the stock seat the red one had the comfort seat so you can test both to see which one you like. The passenger portion is much improved. I don't think the seats are interchangeable, but there was no chance to take the seat off to compare.

The screen is different on both bikes. The grey had the stock screen and the red had the long screen, which IMO looked silly.
The switch gear on the FJ's are new and better aligned than the FZ. On the left the horn is at the bottom, the turns signals next up, then hi-lo and over out the way is the menu flipper for the speedo display. On the right, the start stop switch is different and the mode is in the same spot.

They did not have any in the bike demo area. They did have 4 FZ-09's and 4 FZ-07's. I scored a ride on the 07, which is actually a pretty darn good bike, but I'm glad I have the 09 :)

If the show is coming near you, go see it.

I am in the middle of posting pictures and hopefully some videos on you tube - but as I only have DSL, they will take while.
Pictures will end up on photobucket here Scottsdale Bike Show 2014 Photos by RichBinAZ | Photobucket
The videos are of the stunt riders, when I get those loaded - they will take a long time.

Forgot to mention, the red one had ABS, can't remember if the grey one did or not - need to study the pictures

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm digging the red one a lot. I agree with Nick, that bike is going to sell very good. The FZ09 sold great but I believe a lot of guys back off because of the lack of wind protection and tourability.

Glad I'm not the only one that liked the FZ07. With some bags that thing would make a nice little 1up tour bike too IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts